Dead Subwoofer - repair or replace

peddie44

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi all - I'm after a bit of advice please.

I've got the Boston Acoustics XS 5.1 speaker package, and the subwoofer has had it. It has power but doesn't actually do anything. I've spoken to Richer Sounds and been told it is an initial £40 to send it off, which seems fairly reasonable, but further costs could then be added. Is it worth sending it to be repaired or am I better off just buying a brand new sub in the £100ish price bracket? Obviously the speakers are the only thing I own that doesn't have the 5 year warranty, so they're the bit that broke...

Thanks

BowserWilkens

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm sure you've connected your sub correctly but I'm going to ask these questions anyway -

How is the sub connected to your amp/av receiver? From the av receiver's SUB PRE OUT or by loudspeaker cable which is then daisy chained to your speakers?

I'm guessing the former.... So.. what is the setting for the sub on your av receiver? Unless you've set the other speakers to SMALL, the sub won't boom without being fed a 5.1 or 7.1 sound source. The .1 is the sub channel. Listening to a regular cd, the sub won't rumble unless it has been set to take care of sound below 100hz or 80hz. Finally.. does the sub have a volume control? Is it set to about one third power?

Before sending anything away & paying through the nose, I'd recheck all of the above. You could even try connecting a source (CD player, Ipod) directly to the sub to see whether there's any life in the boomy one.

Hope this helps..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts