admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've had my Ipod nano for just over a year. About 2 weeks ago I had an email saying the warranty had run out, I hadn't connected it to my pc for a while. So I connected it and down loaded the latest upgrade. One week later my Ipod is dead. Anyone had simular experiences? I cant fix it as it's a complete unit. A bit odd though with the timing. Had the same thing happen with sky a few years back.

A

Anonymous

Just bad luck. Will just have to get a new one or stick to the radio in the car.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Del Smith"]I've had my Ipod nano for just over a year. About 2 weeks ago I had an email saying the warranty had run out, I hadn't connected it to my pc for a while. So I connected it and down loaded the latest upgrade. One week later my Ipod is dead. Anyone had simular experiences? I cant fix it as it's a complete unit. A bit odd though with the timing. Had the same thing happen with sky a few years back.[/quote]For all I know garantee on a product only means that for a certain time the manufacturer takes responability pronto if a defect shows up- i.e. you don't have to prove and disprove. After that garantee period you should still be able to get a defect product repaired or replaced if the defect happens within a reseanable lifespan of the product. I think we can assume that the genral lifespan of an ipod should be over 1 year...Furthermore you might have to pay a small amount of the repair costs of the product- although in your case unlikely- ratio depending on the age of the product versus its expected life span in the Netherlands. I know all this legal stuff for the country I live in -The Netherlands- but I shouldn't be suprised if something similar goes for consumer products in the United Kingdom.Edit: Oh, before I forget, you shouldn't have to deal with the manufacturer. Only with the shop you bought the product from. Your (purchase) contract is with them, not the manufacturer.

Sliced Bread

[quote user="Solomon1"][quote user="Del Smith"]I've had my Ipod nano for just over a year. About 2 weeks ago I had an email saying the warranty had run out, I hadn't connected it to my pc for a while. So I connected it and down loaded the latest upgrade. One week later my Ipod is dead. Anyone had simular experiences? I cant fix it as it's a complete unit. A bit odd though with the timing. Had the same thing happen with sky a few years back.[/quote]For all I know garantee on a product only means that for a certain time the manufacturer takes responability pronto if a defect shows up- i.e. you don't have to prove and disprove. After that garantee period you should still be able to get a defect product repaired or replaced if the defect happens within a reseanable lifespan of the product. I think we can assume that the genral lifespan of an ipod should be over 1 year...Furthermore you might have to pay a small amount of the repair costs of the product- although in your case unlikely- ratio depending on the age of the product versus its expected life span in the Netherlands. I know all this legal stuff for the country I live in -The Netherlands- but I shouldn't be suprised if something similar goes for consumer products in the United Kingdom.Edit: Oh, before I forget, you shouldn't have to deal with the manufacturer. Only with the shop you bought the product from. Your (purchase) contract is with them, not the manufacturer.[/quote]

Holland sounds so much better than the UK :O)
From my experience, if a product fails outside the guarantee / warrantee in the uk you are stuffed.

A

Anonymous

Quote from: http://www.consumerline.org/search/?cat=Goods+%26+Services&item=Guarantees+and+Warranties
Found under "consumer rights after warranty"
"Guarantees and Warranties
Introduction

From a consumer's point of view there is no difference between a guarantee and a warranty. And so, in this section, to make it easier we will refer to both as 'guarantees'. A guarantee usually promises for a set period, to fix free of charge, any faults which might arise. Although a guarantee can be 'word of mouth', it is better if you get it in writing. The person or company who gives the guarantee is called the 'guarantor'.

What The Law Says

When you buy goods or services you are covered by the normal consumer protection laws. These say that the goods must be of satisfactory quality (see General Advice on Goods and Services), fit for any specified purpose and as described. Any service must be provided with reasonable skill and care. GUARANTEES DO NOT REPLACE THESE RIGHTS. THEY ARE IN ADDITION TO THEM. (i.e. you still have rights AFTER the guarantee period has passed- most probably something similar to the law in Holland, as most consumer rights laws come from the EU)

Since 31st March 2003, you have more rights under the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002. These regulations provide that if a consumer requests a guarantee, it must be made available in writing and the terms of the guarantee should be set out in plain language which can be easily understood. This should be in English if offered in the United Kingdom and should give details of how to make a claim under the guarantee.

A contract will also be made between you and the guarantor. This means that if the guarantor refuses to honour the guarantee you may be able to take legal action.

Useful Information

A manufacturer will often ask you to register your guarantee by filling in and returning a card. You should do this as you might have trouble claiming later if you haven't, and particularly if you have no proof of the date of purchase.

You will probably get quicker and better results by complaining to whoever sold you the faulty goods. Remember, your contract was with them and they are liable - not the manufacturer. But if you do decide to claim under the manufacturer's guarantee, perhaps because it's more convenient for you, tell the manufacturer that you're 'reserving your rights under the Sale of Goods Act'.

Don't listen to the seller if he tells you that he can do nothing for you because the guarantee has run out. Goods should do what they are supposed to for a reasonable length of time. The time set by the guarantee is not necessarily reasonable. For example, the control panel on a microwave or the gearbox in a car should last for more than twelve months even though their guarantees only lasted a year.

Some guarantees, particularly those for things like treatment for dry rot, rising damp or roof sealing, are given for very long periods - some for as much as up to thirty years. This may make you feel safe but bear in mind that the company may not last as long as its guarantee. To be really safe, your guarantee should be backed by insurance. Then it will not matter if the guarantor goes out of business. You will be able to claim off the insurance for any work that needs doing because of bad work the first time round. You should also check if the guarantee is transferable, especially for work done to a house.

You may be offered the chance to pay for your guarantee or warranty to be extended by a number of years. Be careful. Some warranties do not cover the cost of repairing damage caused by normal wear and tear. And government research shows that, in most cases, extended warranties cost more than the cost of likely repairs over the extended period. So make sure you know what you're getting into. Don't be pressurised by salespeople to buy these extended warranties. Take time to think about it as you can always buy an extended warranty at a later date.

What to do if You Have A Complaint

Try first to sort out any complaint with the guarantor. If the guarantee is in writing, refer him to the document and tell him exactly which part of the promise he is failing to keep. If you don't have a written guarantee, you will have to remind him of his promises. Hopefully, you will have a witness who can confirm, if necessary, your memory of the guarantee. If you have difficulty in obtaining your guarantee in writing, you should contact Consumerline on 0845 600 62 62.

If you're unhappy with the response, check whether the guarantor is a member of a trade association and, if so, ask them to help. The addresses and phone numbers of some associations are shown below.

If, despite your efforts, your complaint is still not settled, you may have to think about court action. If the amount involved is not more than £2,000, you can take your case yourself to the Small Claims Court. Talk to Consumerline, your local Advice Centre or Citizens Advice. They can advise you how to apply. For larger amounts, you should talk to a solicitor.

Click here to download an advice leaflet on how to solve consumer problems about guarantees.

Contacts
Regional Manager
Retail Motor Industry Federation
107A Shore Road
BELFAST
BT15 3BB
Phone: 028 9037 0137
Fax: 028 9037 0706
Email: Click Here
Web: Click Here

The Regional Administrator
Federation of Master Builders
42a-44a New Row
COLERAINE
BT52 1AF
Phone: 028 7034 0999
Fax: 028 7034 0998

Glass and Glazing Federation
44-48 Borough High Street
London
SE1 1XB
Phone: 0870 042 4255
Fax: 0870 042 4266
Chief Executive
Radio, Electrical and TV Retailers Association Ltd
RETRA House
St Johns Terrace, 1 Ampthill Street
BEDFORD
MK42 9EY
Phone: 01234 269110
Fax: 01234 269609

The Director/Chief Executive
Contractors Insurance Guarantee Services NI Ltd
Whitehall Chambers
43 New Row
COLERAINE
BT52 1AE
Phone: 028 7032 5980
Fax: 028 7034 3641

From category: Goods & Services"(end quote)

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for the responce.
I don't think I will go as far as the courts over an ipod. Personally I think its probably the internal battery thats gone duff, obviously it cant be changed by joe public so the whole item will have to be disposed of.
It seems to me I can either pay another £100? or so for a new one or drive 20 miles to the shop I bought it from and ask to speek to the manager, have a row and go home sulking.
Lesson learnt, will pay the extra warranty in future.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Del Smith"]Many thanks for the responce. I don't think I will go as far as the courts over an ipod. Personally I think its probably the internal battery thats gone duff, obviously it cant be changed by joe public so the whole item will have to be disposed of. It seems to me I can either pay another £100? or so for a new one or drive 20 miles to the shop I bought it from and ask to speek to the manager, have a row and go home sulking. Lesson learnt, will pay the extra warranty in future.[/quote]Yeah, I know what you mean...it's hard to get what you're entitled to - still a shame you have to pay extra for a right you already have. ~I guess it's just the rightious man in me. Well, good luck anyway! Maybe not buy an ipod next time

A

Anonymous

Thought I had better tell all my good news.

My dead ipod is now alive.

I think I have found what caused the problem

Basically the ipod is plugged into the car all the time, i.e constantly on charge.( at least when driving which is around 4 hours a day).

What I think has happened is the ipod hasn't been charged for a while until it obviously went dead.
I did plug it into the pc when I first realised it wasn't working and still no life.
But today I thought I would give it one more go and left it there.
Came back 5 mins later and life.

Nothing wrong with the ipod after all, will have to get a new car instead.

TRENDING THREADS