Day Stream Believer

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have an 80 Gb windows XP Pc and over the years have loaded approx 45 GB of compressed music in itunes which serves my ipod. However, I now wish to stream uncompressed music to my Naim Uniti, through itunes and have bought a 1TB WD MyBook World NAS for this purpose. I want to Rip the music directly to the NAS so it effectively sits uncompressed in it's own itunes library. But every time I load a CD it just defalts to my existing itunes library! After trawling through the 150 page manual i'm none the wiser and clearly lacking a few of the required brain cells to achieve this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Andy

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
As you open iTunes, hold the Shift key down as you click on the Start Menu entry. This should then present you with the option to create a new library which you can base on your new NAS:

HT1589_1.jpg

Once in there, you can rip music to this new library (but remember to change the Preferences so you are using the correct lossless format).

When you want to switch between the two, just use the same Shift key technique to choose between them.

John Duncan

What server are you using on your NAS? You'll need one that can transcode from Apple Lossless to WAV on the fly, since the Uniti won't recognise it. I use Elgato Eyeconnect but it's Mac only, and not sure which UPnP servers could be used on your NAS to do so. Don't think Twonky does for starters...

Since you're ripping again, I'd be inclined to use FLAC and sidestep iTunes altogether.

A

Anonymous

Hi John, thanks for the reply......the short answer is im not sure, but I think it's Twonky!

Does FLAC sound better than WAV?...It's just that my plan is to say goodbye to my 500 or so Cd's once they are ripped to the NAS, so optimum sound quality is crucial.

Also I like the idea of downloading the Naim App to my ipod touch to use as a remote for my Uniti which probably restricts me to iTunes for album art etc?????

Thanks again, Andy

A

Anonymous

Hi Professorhat,

It all sounds so simple......Will try it this evening.

Many Thanks Andy

John Duncan

FLAC sounds the same as WAV (IMO). I've struggled with album art on the n-Stream app, tbh - it worked kind of using Eyeconnect/iTunes, but I haven't made a concerted effort to create a proper FLAC library (one of my resolutions that I've started on for this year...) and I'm not sure how Twonky deals with it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts