Dave Grohl - still world class with the sticks

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Just seen Them Crooked Vultures on Jonathan Ross and Grohl rolled back the years.

He was awesome. Just ordered the album!

A

Anonymous

No doubt he's great. But he's not up there with Max Roach, Buddy Rich, etc. imho. I know it's another style but still...

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
Well, Dave's a great drummer, no question, but I thought they sounded like a mess. Like a school band rehearsing.

have to agree with that.

Also didn't Johnathan Ross get the bands wrong for the older guy (i can't remember his name); seems pretty bad preparation.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
fast eddie:
Also didn't Johnathan Ross get the bands wrong for the older guy (i can't remember his name); seems pretty bad preparation.

Do you mean John Paul Jones? He was the bassist/keyboard player in Led Zepp

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
fast eddie:Also didn't Johnathan Ross get the bands wrong for the older guy (i can't remember his name); seems pretty bad preparation.

I think that was done for comedy effect, just fell a bit flat!

A

Anonymous

yeah, it really didn't come off at all.

But then after 5 mins chasing Gordon Ramsey round with sauce i was a bit bored of him anyhow. Only carried on watching to see the band.

A

Anonymous

Neil Peart for power/precision or Danny Carey for fluidity. I would rate both of these higher than Grohl, although he is multi talented. His drumming on QOTSA 'Songs for the Deaf' is awesome, mind.

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
i thought they were quite dull. Nothing to do with talent but obviouly josh and david think they are in Led Zep. JPJ thinks his still relevant and up with the kids. But in the act they forgot to make decent album. Heard the album on spotify and other than a few songs. it was average. And before people ask i am a led zep and Nivana/foo fighters fan

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Ok I can't say I am an expert but would you say Buddy Rich would be in their? I remember him from the Muffets Show when he took on Animal. watch the end Animals face still makes makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erE8WTngaAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgaD54YcXpA

Neil Peart,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF-k4wg70rg&feature=fvw

I like Dave Grohl also but some times i feel he uses a sledge Hammer were a hammer would more than suffice. Either way They are different flavors like ice-cream today you want a taste of vannilla tomorrow rum and raisin.I am not saying one is better just that they are all good.

T

the record spot

For me, Neil Peart and - moreso - Phil Collins in his day. Two astounding drummers. After that, the classic players like Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa.

A

Anonymous

Grohl sounded great. But to me (and Grohl himself) there is only one John Bonham.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
spoil the party is not my intention but Grohl is screamingly overrated imo.

Lars is the best, Tommy Lee was awesome, Don Henley can do them all, Mike Dordin is the finest lefty in the business, Gene Holgan is the speed demon....the list goes on before Dave Grohl. and yes, I am a big Nirvana/Foo fighters fan.

A

Anonymous

Thaiman:Lars is the best

You mean the Lars who's kit on St. Anger sounded like it was made out of biscuit tins?
emotion-4.gif

manicm

Anybody heard the new Manics album Journal For Plague Lovers? Sean Moore is up there with anyone - he's got the chops but subtlety - he's one of a kind and kinda makes Grohl sound a bit one-dimensional.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:Thaiman:

Lars is the best You mean the Lars who's kit on St. Anger sounded like it was made out of biscuit tins?
emotion-4.gif

Doh!

the least we talk about that album, the better!

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Yes, it will be a miracle if anyone ever surpasses him.

Best dead rock drummer - Bonham

Best living rock drummer - Matt Cameron

Best dead other drummer - Buddy Rich

Best living other drummer - Will Calhoun

Best percussionist living or dead - Trilok Gurtu

Listening to - Preston v Derby (c'mon Derby!)

A

Anonymous

Gusboll:
Yes, it will be a miracle if anyone ever surpasses him.

Best dead rock drummer - Bonham

Best living rock drummer - Matt Cameron

Best dead other drummer - Buddy Rich

Best living other drummer - Will Calhoun

Best percussionist living or dead - Trilok Gurtu

Listening to - Preston v Derby (c'mon Derby!)

+1 for Bonham but i think Danny Carey slays Matt Cameron.
Best drummer youve never heard of - Mark Heron (Oceansize)

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman: Gene Hoglan is the speed demon.

Best drummer bar none. He's been my idol ever since I heard Death's 'Individual Thought Patterns'. Speed, groove, verstility and technical ability in spades. He's not called "The Atomic Clock" for nothing.
emotion-2.gif

He wrote most of 'Dark Angel's songs, and is a decent guitarist too by all accounts

I like Mike Bordin, but I think Bobby Jarzombek is the best "Lefty" out there at present (other than Gene of course!). Tighter than a duck's you-know-what. Chops to die for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts