Damaged when sent for warranty repair

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Denon 4308 receiver and have had to send it for a warranty repair. I contacted them today to find that the chasis had been damaged in transit from the dealer to the denon repair centre. They have told me that it may actually be replaced but they are looking into it, my thoughts are this and i would appreciate any advice.

1. If the chasis has been damaged i dont feel too good about taking all the insides out and putting it into a new case if they decide to repair it.

2 If they do replace it i have been told the equivalent model is the 4310. The problem with this is that its only available in premium silver and my MATCHING denon 3800bd is silver not premium silver, i know it might sound petty but i like it to at least look the same.

mark8par: 1. If the chasis has been damaged i dont feel too good about taking all the insides out and putting it into a new case if they decide to repair it.

You are entitled to reject this option if they suggest you. But, it will actually be cheaper for them to give you a new receiver than change the chassis.

mark8par: 2 If they do replace it i have been told the equivalent model is the 4310. The problem with this is that its only available in premium silver and my MATCHING denon 3800bd is silver not premium silver, i know it might sound petty but i like it to at least look the same.

I think your 3800BD player is in premium silver.

A

Anonymous

Trust me its not premium silver it is silver the same as the 4308.

Well, then you have an excuse to upgrade to Denon DBP-4010UD in premium silver!
emotion-5.gif

1_gr_av_DBP-4010.jpg

On a more serious note, have you physically compared the difference in colour? Is it really very different?

A

Anonymous

i have checked the difference because when i ordered the 3800bd it arrived in premium silver and they changed it for me as they are very different, It does not help that its a bright room and the premium silver is a golden silver while the silver is well, silver. I know its might sound daft to you but honestly it will drive me bonkers.

Sliced Bread

I agree with you Mark. If you've paid for a matching system in the first place then you are worst off. I think you should push for them to change both units so they match or compensate you for the damage! It's not like your components are cheap (not that it should matter - but it does).

My system no longer matches since I got rid of my all Sony System and the shortage of non-black blu-ray players at the time of purchase. It gets on my nerves too! Even when my system was various shades of silver I found it didn't look as good.

A

Anonymous

I have had some sort of reply from the Denon repairer who is awaiting a reply from head office but he states they might actually repair the chasis of my 4308 as it is twisted and it should staighten. I expressed my HORROR at this and he stated they might not have any chassis left for this receiver to fit a new one.

One thing i am struggling with is that i am not keen on them taking out the inside and putting it into a new chassis. How can they tell that the drop did not cause any damage they cant see on the internals. Am i thinking right that say in 12 months time it could start to show a fault that was caused by this and it might not be something they would have picked up on.

Can somebody please advise me a little, i have tried to speak to the dealer i took it back to but they are not getting the response from Denon either.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
If something has been damaged like this then it is likely that the culprit has insurance, so dont feel sorry for them, it probably wont cost them a penny.

Start talking about damages for their negligence, and you might get somewhere a lot faster.

A

Anonymous

I'd be extremely reluctant to take it back with a straightened chassis, remember you've got stress points- such as heavy components like power supplies soldered onto PCB's that could (?) fracture with the kind of impact that can bend a chassis.

I'd say at the very least an extended no-quibble warranty, underwritten- (no retailers grand promises) of 3 years to be fair.

It's unlikely it'll be an insurance job as "in the trade" you tend to cover small losses yourself so someone'll cop for it, but ultimately that's not your problem- it's still some muppets negligence that has put you out.

A

Anonymous

I am being told the damage was apparently caused by the courier, so i suppose Denon will claim under their insurance.

PIPPI

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
Any electronic equipment that has been dropped can have a hair line fracture on the double sided pcb (which this model will have) and may not be easy to trace by the engineer, eg: if it is under a processor. When I used to repair car audio/visual equipment I would treat any unit like this with caution, because this is when equipment keep comming back under repair warranty for intermittant faults. And a twisted chassis means the pcb has been put under stress. BRR for me( Beyond Reliable Repair).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Have you written to their Customer Services people with a link to this thread yet?

I think Clare mentioned there were 1 million unique visitors to this site - that is a nice figure to be able to quote when negotiating.

They will lose far more money from a very small number of people not buying a Denon because of this, vs giving you new kit, let alone a large number of people losing confidence.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply guys,

I must say that i am concerned to whatthe outcome may be but i should find out shortly. In all honesty i am not sure i will come out winning, if they offer a replacement amp that is all well and good and i would be grateful but it would stick in my throat that i would then have a Denon 3800BD (which was a bloody expensive purchase for me) and the new receiver and they would be different colours Silver and Premium Silver and there is a difference otherwise why would they make them. If i would have wanted to buy different colours of kit then thats is what i would have bought.

Appologies if this sounds like a bit of a rant but my kit is my pride and joy and i cant help feel that i trusted them with my kit and some idiot has just thrown it around.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts