Dali opticon 6 / 8s

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
hi i finally got my new speakers today and i ended up getting the new dali opticon 6 foor standers as they sounded so good i was sold on the spot and they go nice and low down on the bass .

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Blacksabbath,

Congratulations. I was sold too - although had auditioned others first. Still running in, they bring a smile whatever genre I play. Even some 1980's Cds have sprung to life. Keith jarret's the Koln Concert hails from 1984 and sounds superb. I auditioned with Arcam CDS27/A29 and hoped would sound as good with my SA/PM 8005. The RS installer - thanks excellent service- listened to some Pink Floyd and was amazed how good they were out of the box. He left with the comment, "I have to get some myself" IMHO the Opticon 6s are a must listen in this price bracket.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
emperor's new clothes said:
Hi Blacksabbath,

Congratulations. I was sold too - although had auditioned others first. Still running in, they bring a smile whatever genre I play. Even some 1980's Cds have sprung to life. Keith jarret's the Koln Concert hails from 1984 and sounds superb. I auditioned with Arcam CDS27/A29 and hoped would sound as good with my SA/PM 8005. The RS installer - thanks excellent service- listened to some Pink Floyd and was amazed how good they were out of the box. He left with the comment, "I have to get some myself" IMHO the Opticon 6s are a must listen in this price bracket.
yes they are amazing speakers they sounded so good when I had the demo I did listen to all the box shelf speakers that I had on my list of demoing i had to do 6 different kinds of book shelf speaker I listen too and everyone just sounded like a box to me . Then the sales man said have herd the the new Dalis opticon 6s by then I was disappointed that all the other speakers I tried were rubbish so thought ok as I was not really looking at floor standers but thought give it a go I had taken my amp with me and a load of CDs and then he hooked up the Dalis wow wow I had found heaven they worked so well with my amp and I could hear every bit of music and the bass goes very low good mids and good top end and open and I have my amp on direct mode as I like to hear what comes of the cd so it was natural sound . I put black sabbath of the first album and I have liked them 35 years and I have never heard that song sound so good I was blown away I just handed my money over and wouth every penny . They will take up to 100- 150 to run in but sound good now so what are they going to sound like when they are run in . I will be amazed if what hi fi rubbish this speakers they are good and I would recommend them to anyone . I hope you like yours as much as I do and yes pink floyd wish you were here album sounds very good as well as dark side of the moon album

rocsen

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
How do the Dali Opticons sound at lower volume? I'm looking at the Opticon 6 but most of my listening will be low to medium volume.

Many thanks

Blacksabbath25 said:
hi i finally got my new speakers today and i ended up getting the new dali 2 opticon 6 foor standers as they sounded so good i was sold on the spot and they go nice and low down on the bass .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
rocsen said:
How do the Dali Opticons sound at lower volume? I'm looking at the Opticon 6 but most of my listening will be low to medium volume.

Many thanks

Blacksabbath25 said:
hi i finally got my new speakers today and i ended up getting the new dali 2 opticon 6 foor standers as they sounded so good i was sold on the spot and they go nice and low down on the bass .
hi I have the opticon 8s now but yes when I had the opticon 6s they sounded very good at low volumes but this depends on your amp too but with my current setup I do not have to have the volume very loud to miss any detail out at low volumes . Have you had a demo on some then and what amp are you using as they are a 4ohm speaker ?

rocsen

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Blacksabbath25

I have demoed them and also the Rubicon 6 (and a host of other speakers) but I prefer the Opticon. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the amp, but it didn't particularly grab me.

I'm looking at the Rogue Audio Sphinx to power these which might be a bit overkill but I can get a good deal on one. Do you think they would pair well? It's either that or the Yamaha S701 / 801. Assuming the tonal signature is the same as your S2100, how would you describe the tone when paired?

Blacksabbath25 said:
rocsen said:

Many thanks

Blacksabbath25 said:
hi I have the opticon 8s now but yes when I had the opticon 6s they sounded very good at low volumes but this depends on your amp too but with my current setup I do not have to have the volume very loud to miss any detail out at low volumes . Have you had a demo on some then and what amp are you using as they are a 4ohm speaker ?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
rocsen said:
Thanks Blacksabbath25

I have demoed them and also the Rubicon 6 (and a host of other speakers) but I prefer the Opticon. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the amp, but it didn't particularly grab me.

I'm looking at the Rogue Audio Sphinx to power these which might be a bit overkill but I can get a good deal on one. Do you think they would pair well? It's either that or the Yamaha S701 / 801. Assuming the tonal signature is the same as your S2100, how would you describe the tone when paired?

Blacksabbath25 said:
rocsen said:

Many thanks

Blacksabbath25 said:
I can only recommend amps that I've had myself..... Or heard with opticons

But ive run theses amps marantz pm8005 , Abrahamsen 2up , Yamaha S2100 with opticon 6 and 8s

out of this amps I've owned I found the Yamaha is well suited to the opticons and the best match I would say but your ears are the best weapon here .

so I would of thought that the Yamaha S701 - 801 would be ok but never had a demo on theses amps so it's hard to say but if you can get to listen to the Yamaha S2100 you should not be disappointed with its sound it's very good amp .

ive heard rosksan k3 and its matching cdplayer as well as the rosksan flagship amp & cdplayer this was the better out of the 2 but still I've found the Yamaha to be the best in matching with the opticons a specially sonically sounding .

but if you put the opticons say with arcam A29 , A39 the opticons sound dull so you will have to watch out for this when choosing the right amp to pair with the opticons .

But I love the opticons the only reason I changed to the 8s was because the dealer offered me to upgrade to the 8s without losing any money or I would of kept with the 6s

Compactdisco

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm also interested in the Opticon 6 but haven't been able to find a dealer on this part of the world who may have a demo for auditioning. In reading this thread, now I'm getting dissapointed since I have an Arcam A29 amp that I bought early this year...*shok*

Are the Opticon 6's that bad with the A29?

Thanks

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Compactdisco said:
I'm also interested in the Opticon 6 but haven't been able to find a dealer on this part of the world who may have a demo for auditioning. In reading this thread, now I'm getting dissapointed since I have an Arcam A29 amp that I bought early this year...*shok*

Are the Opticon 6's that bad with the A29?

Thanks
i felt so but its only my opinon .... this is why having a demo is important the dealer at richer sounds in the uk said he did not like them so at the time i had my abe 2up amp with me we hooked that up and the dealer changed his mind ones he heard the sound and said your right the opticons do sound good with the right amp . you hook up a powerful amp with a good power supply with the opticon and they sound amazing the bass goes deep .

rocsen

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Interesting about the Arcam.

I read a review about the Yamaha S801 and they said it's a bit light on it's feet and on the cooler side. How would you compare the bass /low end power, and tonal character (slightly cool / neutral / slightly warm) on the Yamaha to other amps you tried?

Blacksabbath25 said:

But ive run theses amps marantz pm8005 , Abrahamsen 2up , Yamaha S2100 with opticon 6 and 8s

out of this amps I've owned I found the Yamaha is well suited to the opticons and the best match I would say but your ears are the best weapon here .

so I would of thought that the Yamaha S701 - 801 would be ok but never had a demo on theses amps so it's hard to say but if you can get to listen to the Yamaha S2100 you should not be disappointed with its sound it's very good amp .

ive heard rosksan k3 and its matching cdplayer as well as the rosksan flagship amp & cdplayer this was the better out of the 2 but still I've found the Yamaha to be the best in matching with the opticons a specially sonically sounding .

but if you put the opticons say with arcam A29 , A39 the opticons sound dull so you will have to watch out for this when choosing the right amp to pair with the opticons .

But I love the opticons the only reason I changed to the 8s was because the dealer offered me to upgrade to the 8s without losing any money or I would of kept with the 6s

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
As mentioned above, I also auditioned the Opticons with the Arcam 29 - sounded good to me but bit better with the Marantz in my room, IMHO, probably more to do with better room accoustics and speaker positioning. The installer was very taken at the combo and after 9 months of extensive listening, I have nothing but praise. I have owned much more expensive speakers in the past, KEF reference, Monitor Audio Studio 20se and the Opticons just deliver top to bottom with no fatigue or wincing. They are forgiving of lesser quality recordings, but, as always, garbage in still equals garbage out. I also auditioned Tannoy, MA and B&Ws using 29&39 arcams. The only amp that jarred with the Opticons was Cambridge pre/power. The Ikons and Denon sound very good too, so as BS says, Marantz/Denon/Yamaha are perhaps the way to go, but see no reason not to audition the arcam 29/Opticon 6

The Denon PMA 2500 NE looks interesting but competitor to PM14se and yamaha 2100

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
rocsen said:
Interesting about the Arcam.

I read a review about the Yamaha S801 and they said it's a bit light on it's feet and on the cooler side. How would you compare the bass /low end power, and tonal character (slightly cool / neutral / slightly warm) on the Yamaha to other amps you tried?

Blacksabbath25 said:

it's a hard one to explain when it comes to sound I would say the Yamaha S-2100 was very good at making instruments sound real life like you can hear the drummer working round his drums their is a big sound stage with the Yamaha music separation is amazing so you can pick out the instruments and because I am using the opticon 8s I have bigger bass drivers so bass sounds good not over the top so a drum hit sounds good . I do like a wide range of music from heavy metal , classic rock , classical music the Yamaha is good at playing any kind of music very well I do believe the opticons are a very good marriage with the Yamaha S-2100 . Let's say Johnny cash you can hear his age in his voice and that's creepy if I put a thrash band on the sound does not feel jumbled the sound is not tiring and it's music how it should be I think both companies have made a good job in both products and I really do think the Yamaha is well under rated . The lessons I've learned is to spend as much as you can afford on the speakers and the amp and having the Yamaha cdplayer there is a really good dac onboard the Yamaha sacd 2100 which helps with the extra bit of detail in the music . At the time of buying the opticon 6s I knew I brought a very good speaker and at the time I ran the opticon 6s with a marantz pm8005 but still felt the opticons wanted a better amp so I ended up with the abrahamsen 2up which was very good for the money but I still felt I could get more out of the opticons and I was right tha Yamaha has done this .

i really can not comment on the 2 Yamaha amps that you are interested in because both of them might be different to what I have sound wise even though they are Yamaha amps .

are you from the uk ?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
As mentioned above, I also auditioned the Opticons with the Arcam 29 - sounded good to me but bit better with the Marantz in my room, IMHO, probably more to do with better room accoustics and speaker positioning. The installer was very taken at the combo and after 9 months of extensive listening, I have nothing but praise. I have owned much more expensive speakers in the past, KEF reference, Monitor Audio Studio 20se and the Opticons just deliver top to bottom with no fatigue or wincing. They are forgiving of lesser quality recordings, but, as always, garbage in still equals garbage out. I also auditioned Tannoy, MA and B&Ws using 29&39 arcams. The only amp that jarred with the Opticons was Cambridge pre/power. The Ikons and Denon sound very good too, so as BS says, Marantz/Denon/Yamaha are perhaps the way to go, but see no reason not to audition the arcam 29/Opticon 6

The Denon PMA 2500 NE looks interesting but competitor to PM14se and yamaha 2100
yes this is the trouble ... its what i felt about the arcam amps at the time arcams might be somebody's cup of tea but not mine i wanted them to be but i felt they sounded a bit dull and flat sounding maybe they were not run-in i do not no . you just got to demo this things its the only way .

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I , like alot of people here have, been reading BS25's journey over the last 6 months or so. I think it's been based on his search for the very best amp for the speakers he liked/loved. He got a "free" upgrade but it was always getting more from the speakers.

If you are committed to the A29 then I'd be looking for speakers that match best with the amp, I'd try as a referance point KEF R300 and Dali Menuet.

James

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi Rocen going by the spec of both Yamaha amps that you are showing interest in I would go for the Yamaha A-S 801 plenty of power there for 4ohm speakers this amp looks very capable . But would recommend you have a demo first on one with the Dali opticon speakers or try and get a home demo if this is possible as the opticons will sound different ones your got them at home .

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Quote "At the time of buying the opticon 6s I knew I brought a very good speaker and at the time I ran the opticon 6s with a marantz pm8005 but still felt the opticons wanted a better amp so I ended up with the abrahamsen 2up which was very good for the money but I still felt I could get more out of the opticons and I was right tha Yamaha has done this .

i really can not comment on the 2 Yamaha amps that you are interested in because both of them might be different to what I have sound wise even though they are Yamaha amps . "

You would hope that the Yamaha 2100 sounds better, as it costs 3x as much. With regards to your experience with the PM8005, did you not have the speakers wired out of phase for 99% of your time with it? Fairly difficult to assess it's true capability, IMHO.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Quote "At the time of buying the opticon 6s I knew I brought a very good speaker and at the time I ran the opticon 6s with a marantz pm8005 but still felt the opticons wanted a better amp so I ended up with the abrahamsen 2up which was very good for the money but I still felt I could get more out of the opticons and I was right tha Yamaha has done this .

i really can not comment on the 2 Yamaha amps that you are interested in because both of them might be different to what I have sound wise even though they are Yamaha amps . "

You would hope that the Yamaha 2100 sounds better, as it costs 3x as much. With regards to your experience with the PM8005, did you not have the speakers wired out of phase for 99% of your time with it? Fairly difficult to assess it's true capability, IMHO.
yes I had one of the opticons wired out of phase for a week until I realised it was out of phase I brought this opticons ex demo so someone must of put the binding post screws the wrong way round on one the speakers . I had them wide apart in my room it wasn't till I moved them close together I picked up one of them was out of phase . But it was not 99% of time if it was why would I change them for the opticon 8s at £2000 ? I really rate the opticon 6s / 8s so it's no big deal .

I have not put the marantz down at all like I explained above I just felt that the opticons would benefit something a bit better and in my case I was right I kept the marantz long after I had the abrahamsen 2up as I thought the marantz was a good amp . I just moved on and wanted something better and now I have much better . If you changed your marantz pm8005 and sacd player for what I have you would understand what I am going on about and that's why it's worth spending that bit more to get it right .

Also I am basically trying to help some out who is interested in buying the opticon 6s speakers and with there choice of amp to go with them . So I am going by my experience of what I've owned and what is a good choice with this speakers to get the very best out of them . I listed the amps that sounded good with this speakers which are marantz pm8005 , Abrahamsen 2up , Yamaha S-2100 . But also its only my opinion the op as a choice here to take on board this amps or just get out there and get a demo and find out for himself . But please do not have a dig at me .

gasolin

JamesMellor said:
Hi,

I , like alot of people here have, been reading BS25's journey over the last 6 months or so. I think it's been based on his search for the very best amp for the speakers he liked/loved. He got a "free" upgrade but it was always getting more from the speakers.

If you are committed to the A29 then I'd be looking for speakers that match best with the amp, I'd try as a referance point KEF R300 and Dali Menuet.

James

Those Dali Menuet are tiny speaker, thay can't deliver when it comes to rock music, they are may sound okay for classic music or pop music, not rock (pink floyd,deep purple,metallica,black sabbath Queen)

rocsen

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed reply, Blacksabbath.

I'll see if it's possible to get a demo but even if I can it still feels like a gamble as I can't demo in my apartment.

Incredible that the S2100 is more than 3 x the price of the s701. Would be very curious to hear these two next to each other to see if the S2100 is worth the premium.

Blacksabbath25 said:
Hi Rocen going by the spec of both Yamaha amps that you are showing interest in I would go for the Yamaha A-S 801 plenty of power there for 4ohm speakers this amp looks very capable . But would recommend you have a demo first on one with the Dali opticon speakers or try and get a home demo if this is possible as the opticons will sound different ones your got them at home .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
rocsen said:
Thanks for the detailed reply, Blacksabbath.

I'll see if it's possible to get a demo but even if I can it still feels like a gamble as I can't demo in my apartment.

Incredible that the S2100 is more than 3 x the price of the s701. Would be very curious to hear these two next to each other to see if the S2100 is worth the premium.

Blacksabbath25 said:
both of the yamaha amps that you are looking at will be ok both built like a tank but like you say its a gamble without a demo first and i understand this when your spending a lot of money . i felt that the yamaha S-2100 was wouth the price you could pick one up on ebay mint secondhand or a new one for around £1200 but what you have to think is the yamaha S-2100 was £2000 when it first came out .

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:

The yamaha A-701 is more power full than a A-S2100

A-S2100 has 2x160 watt in 4 ohm max peak power is 190watt in 4 ohm, the A-S701/A-S801 has 2x 160 watt in 4 ohm but peak power is 220watt in 4 ohm

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

The yamaha A-701 is more power full than a A-S2100

A-S2100 has 2x160 watt in 4 ohm max peak power is 190watt in 4 ohm, the A-S701/A-S801 has 2x 160 watt in 4 ohm but peak power is 220watt in 4 ohm
yes i know the A-S701 is more powerful then mine but with mine the contruction is top class it really is you can see why it cost 3 times more then the 701 , 801 i am not sure if the 701 has XLR inputs like mine does ? but i see that the 801 has a very good bulit in dac onborad so wouth it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts