Dali Lektor 1 or 2 for bedroom?

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I'm considering Dali Lektor 1 or 2 for my small bedroom (12' x 12').I listen to most styles of music at low to moderate volume and would be used with a Rotel RA-01 amp and CA 640C CD player. Would the Lektor 1's be sufficient in this size room? The 2's are nearer the size of my old Sony SS86E's and would be the correct height on my Atacama Nexus stands. Speaker position is around 18 inches from back and side walls. Any thoughts,experiences appreciated, Dan.

A

Anonymous

Hi Danrv,

I demoed both Dali Lektor 1 and 2 along with the Mission Diamond 10.1 and Mordaunt Short Aviano 1. On a budget all of them were given good reviews.

On the Dali Lektor's I would say the extra you get from the Lektor 2 is worth the extra. The frequency response is better and I found it a more natural and enjoyable listen. Compared to the Diamond 10.1 they were miles ahead, the missions are some of the worst speakers I've heard so I don't get why they get 5 stars.

I ended up with the Mordaunt Short Aviano 1's as they suited my tastes. I wanted wide stereo with clear depth of field. the new 1XR versions are out now which are better on the top end. The Lektors were a warmer, bigger feeling compared to the Avianos. Not quite as clear in the mid range on the Marantz CD and PM units.

If you can have a listen down Richersounds then I highly recommend comparing them to the Mordaunt Shorts.

Back down to your question, if it's between the Lektor 1 and 2. The bigger ones will suit the room size and would give you plenty of listening pleasure.

Pete

A

Anonymous

Peter Crosby:
Hi Danrv,

I demoed both Dali Lektor 1 and 2 along with the Mission Diamond 10.1 and Mordaunt Short Aviano 1. On a budget all of them were given good reviews.

On the Dali Lektor's I would say the extra you get from the Lektor 2 is worth the extra. The frequency response is better and I found it a more natural and enjoyable listen. Compared to the Diamond 10.1 they were miles ahead, the missions are some of the worst speakers I've heard so I don't get why they get 5 stars.

I ended up with the Mordaunt Short Aviano 1's as they suited my tastes. I wanted wide stereo with clear depth of field. the new 1XR versions are out now which are better on the top end. The Lektors were a warmer, bigger feeling compared to the Avianos. Not quite as clear in the mid range on the Marantz CD and PM units.

If you can have a listen down Richersounds then I highly recommend comparing them to the Mordaunt Shorts.

Back down to your question, if it's between the Lektor 1 and 2. The bigger ones will suit the room size and would give you plenty of listening pleasure.

Pete

Same as above mate the 2's are worth the extra they will also fit your stands better as well. I find the Mid on the 2's is a lot better and much warmer.

A

Anonymous

Ive heard them both and imo the Lektor 2 is worth the extra in the room i heard them in. In your room the Lektor 1 might be good enough. If you can you should try both at home.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'll head done to my local Richer Sounds and have a listen. The Aviano's could be a possibility but I think I need front ported or sealed for my situation. I bought some new Monitor Audio RX1's over a month ago as an upgrade from my Sony SS-86E's but unfortunately the bass from these is too much for my room. £370 well spent!

Ideally I would bring the Dali 1 & 2's home together with the Aviano 1's and listen to them where they are going to be kept. If a home demo is not possible,i'll need to make sure this time,that I can exchange them if not suitable. Dali Lektor 2 does tick all the boxes though.

matthewpiano

I think you'll find the Lektor 2s the best solution personally. The Aviano 1s are very good speakers but they can be a bit on the tiring side after a while and you may find them a little too much at the bass end. The Dalis are much more natural sounding and very musical.

In other circumstances I would highly recommend the B&W 686s as they work brilliantly with Rotel amplification, but they need lots of space to sound their best and would boom in the space you wish to use them in.

I would disagree with the poster who slated the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s. They are very good all-rounders for the asking price but they don't excel in any particular area and I find them slightly boxy sounding in the same ways that the previous 9.1s could be.

BREEKO1963

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I also auditioned the lektor 1 and 2 along with the wharfedale 10.1's and walked away with the lektor 1's. I found both dali's to be more exciting than the 10.1's but I felt the balance of the lektor 1's to be better. I have them in a 16 by 10 foot room and find them more than adequate . I am convinced in a room your size they will sound more than big enough.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I went for the 1's myself as I felt they would be better suited to my room which is even smaller than your's (maybe 10' x 8'?!)

They are particularly adept at low volume, late night listening and work particularly well against a back wall (I had mine wall mounted for a while which is a very easy task using a simple screw), and you will be amazed at just what such a small speaker can kick out (and I've heard them in normal living room settings too). The 2's are great speakers but I can't comment on how they perform at low volumes or back wall positioning, but the 1's are great for both.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I like to use a large speaker for listening at low volumes. I find it gives a better sound. I've had the Lektor 2's attached to the wall using the design on the back. Its really easy and works well without the need for a special wall bracket. I've read a review somewhere where it said they were not as good close to the wall, be I disagree with this. Maybe at high volumes they are not good close to the wall. Dali have specially designed them for this purpose. Anyway I am very pleased with mine!

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks,plenty to go on there. My local Richer (Cambridge) has 1 pair of black Lektor 2's left so won't be able to compare them with the Lektor 1. They also don't plan on getting any more Lektors in.

1 versus 2, difficult to know without comparing. The 1 would probably be ok but would sit a little low on my 60cm stands. Bit concerned about the bass.I like the sound to be full but well balanced and clear. The RX1's are all low end for me. So my options are Lektor 2 in black! Would like to have seen the walnut finish aswell.

Obviously there's the online store option and I'm confident that I would have no trouble with either of the Lektor speakers.

Failing that,the shop I bought my RX1's has:

MA BX2 B&W 685 Wharfedale Diamond 10.1. Shame they don't stock Dali.Would have been an easy swap.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Pity you can't demo the 1's with the 2's as I would have been interested in your opinions but I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I like the Lektor 1 and Lektor 2. Both speakers are very good value for money.

I think the Lektor 2 is a little bit better though....better and more articulate bass and the sound is fuller. Fantastic speaker with lots of detail and a very 'musical' sound.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Certainly helping with my decision.

My local Sevenoaks doesn't stock them anymore but I can get them online from Exeptional AV. Although this is far from ideal, I can return them within 7 days which I hope is enough time,considering they take 100hrs to 'run in'.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Have gone for the Lektor 2's in black from my local Richer Sounds and they sound great straight from the box. Big,clear sound like my Sony SS86E's but with better,tighter bass.Plenty for my room. I compared them with the Morduant Short Aviano 1 XR's in the shop demo room and preferred the Dali's. I don't think the speakers I heard were fully run in which does make judgement a bit difficult.

Playing some 'Alison Krauss', the lektor's sound was clearer and vocals more prominent due to the their excellent midrange. The Aviano 1 XR's were a little boomy and the vocal lower registers were caught up in it. Maybe down to the Aviano's having more bass than the Lektor's.

Pleased I was able to hear the Dali's against the Morduant Short's and posts here helped a great deal.Thanks!
emotion-2.gif

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Glad you like them, and either a good choice. And you want to know what I'm listening to right now? "Raising Sand"! lol. Robert Plant is on Electro Proms on Radio 2 at 8 tomorrow night, and showing it on BBC2 a week on Saturday. *bliss*

A

Anonymous

danrv:
Have gone for the Lektor 2's in black from my local Richer Sounds and they sound great straight from the box. Big,clear sound like my Sony SS86E's but with better,tighter bass.Plenty for my room. I compared them with the Morduant Short Aviano 1 XR's in the shop demo room and preferred the Dali's. I don't think the speakers I heard were fully run in which does make judgement a bit difficult.

Playing some 'Alison Krauss', the lektor's sound was clearer and vocals more prominent due to the their excellent midrange. The Aviano 1 XR's were a little boomy and the vocal lower registers were caught up in it. Maybe down to the Aviano's having more bass than the Lektor's.

Pleased I was able to hear the Dali's against the Morduant Short's and posts here helped a great deal.Thanks!
emotion-2.gif

danrv,

I also had Sony SS 86E...also bought RX1...and also found them a little boomy (if not properly placed)
emotion-1.gif

so, my question is, how do you compare Lektor 2 to RX1 ? I assume bass is better, but how about mids and treble ?

Are they hard to drive ? 85 db...against RX1's 89 db...

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Yes,the bass is much better balanced with the Lektor 2. Mids are excellent and the treble is a little brighter than the RX1 but never harsh or tiring. I always thought that the RX1's were lacking a tad in the top end. The Lektors are easy to drive,very rarely have the volume past a quarter on the amp.

A

Anonymous

Yep I've just got some DL2's based on the recommendations from Matthew and other friends here...and I'm glad I did.

Just out of the box they are sounding brilliant...streets ahead of 9.1's. I am rediscovering my CD's as the Dali's are giving me sounds not delivered by the 9.1's
emotion-11.gif

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Glad you like them
emotion-21.gif
. Fantastic sound although the build quality/finish leaves a little to be desired which is surprising for Dali.

TRENDING THREADS