DACs - Done to death - But which one?

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I am finally hoping to get around to adding a dac to my system to allow me to run my current cdp (CD600OSE), DAB and Itunes through it. The problem is, which one to get? My short list is VDAC, Caiman and possible the Ibasso D10. Headphone output is not key, could be a nice option to run the Grados through when a little discretion is required, but main reason is to lift the sound quality from my itunes and possibly 'alter' the sound from my cdp, will adding a dac apply any 'warmth' to the sound or will it magnify the relative brightness of my system further (rest of system is Nad pre/power 1000s/214 and Epos M12).

Ibasso sounds interesting as can play around with opamps to find sound that suits (via their own supply), but like the thought of the Caiman being home built, as in uk.

Alternatively, do I just invest in a different cdp? The noticeable change in sound quality was when i upgraded from my old Philips (first hifi purchase) to the Marantz, love the detail, but the system really struggles with more rock/alternative music, particularly male vocalled, Interpol/Crystal Stilts etc, or maybe it is just poor recordings on their behalf?

Thanks for any tips, am happy to play around with system, although would rather not replace speakers/amps as they are relatively new purchases

T

the record spot

DACs? The ones I'd be looking at would be...

Musical Fidelity M1 - £399

Emotiva XDA-1 - £349 from Item Audio

Firestone Audio Spitfire II (mnimalist in terms of connectivity, but performance way beyond its dimensions) - £250

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
As above I would strongly recommend an M1 DAC, however if you are using a laptop I would also budget for a v-link async converter to bolt onto it. IT WILL make a massive difference. If you do go down the V-DAC route then I would also still budget for a v-link AND a v-psu, this combo makes the v-dac a very special DAC.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks both, interesting reading indeed, both of you think the step up from the dacs i mentioned to the next price level is a significantly better option? How do you think this will help with cdp sound, as also looking at upping the quality there as well as the computer input, can't get away from using physical format still!

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

I've done some detective work in the area and can conclude that your main problem is your source material. There is no hifi in the land that can make Crystal Stilts sound good surely? And as for Interpol, especially track 1 off their debut, well you're flogging a dead horse trying to make that sound good. Right? I am happy to be proved wrong if anyone out there knows differently
smiley-smile.gif

Bushmendous

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Glad it is not just me then! Opening track is impossible to sound good, as for Crystal Stilts, gotta love track three off their album, but do fear the cost of their production may be the problem with this album.

I still think there is room for improvement in my system even if my taste in music is flawless

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC which is very nice. I considered built-in power supply (as I was not keen on upgrading / doubting the external supplies) and recent release of the product (like computers, the newer ones are better though not necesarily. I felt DAC more like an AVR, the latest chips offer more in less money / size)

From my experience, M1 will not add any warmth but it will improve the clarity & details alot.

Forums are also buzzing about Rega DAC though I have not heard it.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I owned an Arcam rdac and now have a Musical Fidelity M1 Dac and have also demod the Rega Dac.

If you want pure value for money then i feel the Arcam is hard to beat. I traded the rdac for the M1 Dac for the better power supply but i wouldnt call it a hugely better performer than the rdac although it may well have a tad more clarity. The Arcam still sounded lovely though and has a good USB connector (which wasnt what i was using).

The Rega dac is more expensive again - i didnt feel it was better than the M1 Dac though and also couldnt really hear any difference between its various filters when i tried them.

Ultimately it depends how much you want to spend and whether you are likely to want to upgrade the power supply which would add to the cost.

Finally looking at the brightness aspect i would say the musical fidelity is only likely to add to the brightness if thats how you view your system (i didnt think NAD were particularly bright myself) and in this case the Arcam rDac would be the most likely to tame this a little.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I think that the investment in the M1 DAC would be worthwhile and will make your system breathe a little better. Many users who own their rDAC are looking into replacing their power supply as the one supplied adds alot of noise. You pretty much won't need to do that on the M1 DAC just plug it in and play. We have seen mixed mixed results with the rDAC and M1 DAC over optical and digital.... I would post a link to a review that we did between the rDAC and the M1 DAC with a V-Link but I think i'll get told off for posting it here.

Regards

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Really, any good quality DAC would be an improvement over that particular CDP. I used to use one a few years ago and was never happy with it - easily the most unmusical source I've heard.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Interest LB, thanks. I like the detail but it certainly lacks a little something, worried that any move away though and I will miss all that detail, oh the woes!

TRENDING THREADS