DACs, docks and USB sticks - how to handle digital files?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Thinking about digital input.

PCs MACs and various streaming devices are all very well though the iPod / MP3 player concept is a convenient way of storing and using digital music files, however they dont have very good DACs when it comes to true hifi.

The Pure i20 dock is a great way of utilising digital music stored on an iPod / iPhone, it extracts the files before they hit the devices built in DAC and passes it through a half decent DAC then outputs through phonos giving true hifi with any decent set up.

However while good value the Pure "only" handles iPod / iPhone as an input standard, would it be great if you could connect and MP3 player or plug a USB stick into it in the way that you can some CD players, Yamaha CD-S300 / Marantz CD6003 to name but two and of course Cambridge Audio's DACMagic, all at three times the price of the Pure.

What other DAC products are out there offering a generic input such as USB?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Guys, my point is that if you can have an iPod / iPhone dock with the associated apple licences, a decent DAC and various outputs for under £80 then why not something with only USB and perhaps SPDIF inputs?

manicm

Childs1962:

Guys, my point is that if you can have an iPod / iPhone dock with the associated apple licences, a decent DAC and various outputs for under £80 then why not something with only USB and perhaps SPDIF inputs?

There might be some Peachtree products as well that will meet your needs.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Childs1962:Guys, my point is that if you can have an iPod / iPhone dock with the associated apple licences, a decent DAC and various outputs for under £80 then why not something with only USB and perhaps SPDIF inputs?

Well, because for a start it would need a display and a means of controlling it to access tracks, etc...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, it seems that all DACs, Beresford, Fubar, Dacmagic require a PC etc to play the digital audio file, what I am looking for is a device that will take a USB stick and read digital files off it, it sems that the Yamaha CD-S300 CD player might do this though I dont need the CD player aspect of it, on the otherhand it is only £200 so not bad value.

manicm

Childs1962:

Thanks for the replies, it seems that all DACs, Beresford, Fubar, Dacmagic require a PC etc to play the digital audio file, what I am looking for is a device that will take a USB stick and read digital files off it, it sems that the Yamaha CD-S300 CD player might do this though I dont need the CD player aspect of it, on the otherhand it is only £200 so not bad value.

I think a few Marantz and Nad players may do this as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts