DACs below £500

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
There seem to be quite a few below the £500 mark available now, a rapidly expanding market it seems. Off the top of my head:

Beresford £140

MF V-DAC

CA Dacmagic

Arcam rDac

MF M1 £400

Rega £500

Here is my question, before I get going with weekends of demoing :) :

How big is the difference between the bottom and top end of the £150-£500 price range? Yes I know you can't quantify these things, and yes I will audition as many as possible, I am merely looking for people's opinions. Do any of them 'punch above their weight'? Bear in mind that I am looking to spend £300-500 amps and £500-£800 speakers. (possibly second hand)

A

Anonymous

looking at your budget, I would go for the Rega DAC . I often think that it's worth buying the best possible bit of kit you can afford at the time to avoid costly upgrading. Let's be honest, you are going to have to spend a lot more money to better the Rega DAC. It might be the last DAC you ever buy.

just my opinion.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I can only comment on rdac and m1 as I have both.

With 100 pounds different between them, i feel that the m1 is worh the extra cost. Firstly is the built. The m1 has a sturdier built.
Secondly, the m1 has a better power supply unit or cable. Thirdly, m1 gives a livelier change to my set up compared to rdac. But i still keep the rdac for my second system.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Helmut80:
There seem to be quite a few below the £500 mark available now, a rapidly expanding market it seems. Off the top of my head:

Beresford £140

MF V-DAC

CA Dacmagic

Arcam rDac

MF M1 £400

Rega £500

How big is the difference between the bottom and top end of the £150-£500 price range? Yes I know you can't quantify these things, and yes I will audition as many as possible, I am merely looking for people's opinions. Do any of them 'punch above their weight'? Bear in mind that I am looking to spend £300-500 amps and £500-£800 speakers. (possibly second hand)

Moon 100D - £499

iMark

We bought the DACMagic last October and we are extremely happy with it. It sounds great with ALAC files/Spotify Premium over the Airport Express and it really improves the sound of our Pioneer DV 565.

Helmut80:

Beresford £140

MF V-DAC

CA Dacmagic

Arcam rDac

MF M1 £400

Rega £500

Hi Helmut80

I feel Rega's new DAC is truly excellent and bargain at £500.
emotion-1.gif
As i write this Rega's DAC is playing in the background using Yamaha's CD-S300 cd player as a transport and this combination is connected to Plinius Hiato amplifier and Monitor Audio RX6 speakers. The weight, depth and flow of the sound is just superb. Very addictive.

Fwiw Rega's DAC is my digital and overall product of 2010
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

idc

You can surely eliminate some from your list due to just because of their connections and they will fit into your system now and in the future. For example, the Beresford also has a headphone output.

iMark

Agreed. But the OP asked for DAC's below 500. Quite possibly the Rega sounds better than the DACMagic. I haven't heard the Rega. All I can say is that the DACMagic is very good value for money (IMHO), especially if you buy it in the UK. The price here in NL (EUR 399) is outrageous.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
iMark:Agreed. But the OP asked for DAC's below 500. Quite possibly the Rega sounds better than the DACMagic. I haven't heard the Rega. All I can say is that the DACMagic is very good value for money (IMHO), especially if you buy it in the UK. The price here in NL (EUR 399) is outrageous.

Ahhh now I see the problem, you're right, I sold my DacMagic this week to a guy in Amsterdam for the same price I bought it for in the UK(£199) being only 2 months old he almost bit my arm off to get it!. EUR399 is.............a lot. I take it in NL the cost of the Rega would be equally high?

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
iMark:We bought the DACMagic last October and we are extremely happy with it. It sounds great with ALAC files/Spotify Premium over the Airport Express and it really improves the sound of our Pioneer DV 565.

that's good to hear, since I will me streaming ALAC to AE

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
El Hefe:I can only comment on rdac and m1 as I have both.With 100 pounds different between them, i feel that the m1 is worh the extra cost. Firstly is the built. The m1 has a sturdier built.Secondly, the m1 has a better power supply unit or cable. Thirdly, m1 gives a livelier change to my set up compared to rdac. But i still keep the rdac for my second system.

easily the best looking one IMO.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it. I guess With Amp, speakers and DAC, something's gotta give. The 'but look what another £100 gets you' can is a dangerous game to play :(

A

Anonymous

Having tried some of the DACs on your list, plus some others not on it, I'd have to say there's not a vast difference in sound quality. In fact, the difference is so small that I've put any thoughts of upgrading my V-DAC on hold.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Grottyash:Having tried some of the DACs on your list, plus some others not on it, I'd have to say there's not a vast difference in sound quality. In fact, the difference is so small that I've put any thoughts of upgrading my V-DAC on hold.

so you think a a couple of hundred quid would be better diverted to amp/speaker budget. That's the way I am leaning as well I think, at least until I've demo'd more. At the end of the day, if I can't hear the difference I won't pay for it

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Grottyash:Having tried some of the DACs on your list, plus some others not on it, I'd have to say there's not a vast difference in sound quality. In fact, the difference is so small that I've put any thoughts of upgrading my V-DAC on hold.

so you think a a couple of hundred quid would be better diverted to amp/speaker budget. That's the way I am leaning as well I think, at least until I've demo'd more. At the end of the day, if I can't hear the difference I won't pay for it

A

Anonymous

That was my decision, but it depends what you find second hand if that's where you're looking to buy.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Grottyash:
That was my decision, but it depends what you find second hand if that's where you're looking to buy.

yep, there are just so many variables, I really think I might by an amp 'blind' to drag around to check out speakers.

A

Anonymous

Grottyash:Having tried some of the DACs on your list, plus some others not on it, I'd have to say there's not a vast difference in sound quality.I agree on that, and serious tests I've seen confirms it.However, in addition to the DACs already mentioned, there's quite a few DACs that you won't find in hi-fi shops. Some are sold online, like the Firestone Spitfire and a number of Chinese DACs (Matrix mini-i, Aune and the cabinet-less Gigaworks being the most merited I think). And them, of course, there's the music shops with their semi-professional gear. For £500 you're actually well over in the professional segment.

iMark

It's impossible to find the price of the Rega DAC in NL. They are only sold by high end shops and they don't post prices on their websites. I imagine it will be a bit higher than in the UK.

By comparison: The DACMagic costs here EUR 399. I have seen the Arcam rdac from the same shop for EUR 429. It looks like CA need to find a cheaper middle man.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
xtsili:
And this one which has received legendary reviews

http://eeaudio.com/eeaudio_20102.htm

interesting. a quick google doesn't bring anything up in terms of price. Do you know who sells them in the UK?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts