DacMagic Russ Andrews PSU upgrade worth it?

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I can't find any reviews of the Russ Andrews upgrade to the DacMagic's PSU.

Is it really any good or just a "hoax"?

Most of the forums where people write about this combo, they all say that the external PSU for the DacMagic is only a transformer, and thereby replacing it will have no effect what so ever, since the power circuitry is inside the DacMagic.

What is true in all this?

A

Anonymous

Hi Peter, I bought a psu from Maplins for my Dac Magic, the reason being, was the original ran very hot. I looked at the ra one, I think it was £100.. The Maplins psu is a big heavy lump does'nt even get warm, and it was only £15. Can't say it made any difference to the sound. Biggest difference was £85 in my back pocket to spend on cd's. Cheers all.

A

Anonymous

Hi Peter,

All RA products can be returned for a full refund within 60 days if you're not happy with them.

This is really the only way to answer your question of if it's any good or not - your ears will be far more truthful than anyone else's opinion!!

idc

Hi Peter. You are correct that the RA is just a replacement transformer. I cannot comment on the DacMagic PSU, but the RA also works with some Musical Fidelity kit. The PSU that MF supplied would run very hot, too hot to touch, which cannot be a very efficent way to work. Maplins PSUs, as Mr Mucus states were a popular upgrade. RA have seen a gap in the market they can fill. However, the new PSU that comes with MF kit is vented, runs cooler and is far more substantial.

Try a forum search and you will find other threads on this topic.

A

Anonymous

Mr Mucus:Hi Peter, I bought a psu from Maplins for my Dac Magic, the reason being, was the original ran very hot.

Interesting. For the record, mine doesn't get hot at all.

TRENDING THREADS