DACmagic advice please

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I am considering getting a CA dacmagic to add to my current system which comprises CA 640C v.1 CDP,CA 640A v.1 amp and Mordaunt Short 914 floorstanders all connected using decent cables/inters.Will the improvement justify the outlay or just highlight the shortcomings in my system? Assuming I buy one which is the best connection to use s/pdif or toslink and following on from that what cable would you go for? Thanks all.

A

Anonymous

I would almost certainly say that it will be an improvement on the 640, though only you can decide and the 30 day money back guarantee allows you to do that.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
basshound:I am considering getting a CA dacmagic to add to my current system which comprises CA 640C v.1 CDP,CA 640A v.1 amp and Mordaunt Short 914 floorstanders all connected using decent cables/inters.Will the improvement justify the outlay or just highlight the shortcomings in my system? Assuming I buy one which is the best connection to use s/pdif or toslink and following on from that what cable would you go for? Thanks all.

It would improve on your 640c, without question but your amp and speakers will not bring out the best in it. I would improve your speakers first and then step up piece by piece. I would also go speakers, amp, and then cdp.

T

the record spot

Q Acoustics 1050i - just won an award in Hi Fi World and for the money they were good at £350, you can get them for under £300 now which puts them in the stonking good deal bracket and I'm seriously considering them as a replacement for my Missions.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:Q Acoustics 1050i - just won an award in Hi Fi World and for the money they were good at £350, you can get them for under £300 now which puts them in the stonking good deal bracket and I'm seriously considering them as a replacement for my Missions.

Or the smallish Kefs (circa £350 can't remember the model).

A

Anonymous

Adding the DacMagic to the CA640c will get it up to about the quality of the CA740c, which is very good indeed. I know this from own experiences as I have both the CA704c ass well as a DacMagic at home.

A

Anonymous

Crikey, that's not cheap...

If you're looking for a speaker upgrade then see if you can find some Rega R3 at special offer. They're introducing the RS3 about now so the R3 can be found for c.£300 and I think they would be a good step from what you have now. You would certainly get more from the CA DAC with these. Best to trial with your amp first though.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the replies,I have now come to the conclusion that upgrading my system would be better than farting around with DACMagics and the like and so have decided to help the economy by spending my way out of recession :)My budget would be £1500 max so looking for suggestions for CDP,Amp and Speakers.Listening room is around 5m X 4m,my taste in music is quite broad (but not including classical) although I do like bass heavy music such as reggae and funk so would be looking for something with a bit of "oomph" in that department. Thanks

John Duncan

Got to be system 6 from here then - gives you all the advantages of a DACMagic as well, by using the digital input on the 840c to beef up another couple of sources (eg airport express, ps3, sky+ etc).

And free speakers thrown in...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Got to be system 6 from here then - gives you all the advantages of a DACMagic as well, by using the digital input on the 840c to beef up another couple of sources (eg airport express, ps3, sky+ etc).

And free speakers thrown in...

Yep, its a lovely system and stunning value for money imo. You can, by the way, change your speakers in that deal to anything else they stock and, if more expensive, just pay the difference.

regards

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I agree with the others about the components, and I think £1500 spent on CA stuff would give you pretty amazing value for money, especially considering the DAC facilities on the CD player.

But... I'm not sure that any of the recommended speakers will give you that much of an improvement on what you have. The 914's are pretty decent speakers at that price point, I preferred them to the Kef's.

If you're buying CA you'll be off to Richer Sounds, so maybe trade in your existing kit (if they still do that?) and put that towards a set of Mezzo floorstanders? I'd say they'd be a decent step up, certainly worth an audition.

TRENDING THREADS