• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

DAC Vs CD73T.. We Have a Winner

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
I have been the happy owner of a CD73T for approx 4 years, and have enjoyed many hours of listening with both my previous Arcam amp and my more recent Cyrus 8vs2. However, for flexibility reasons and curiosity, i purchased a Firestone Audio Fubar 2 USB DAC a few months ago and have finally got everything set up correctly, will all my music ripped to lossless WAV and on a WD 1TB Hard drive and hooked up to an old Toshiba Laptop. I had previously posted about how pleased i was with some cheap Maplin speaker cable as a temporary replacement for my rumour 2, but within the last week i have replaced this again with my Chord cable. WOW is all i can say, it's like somebody has blown some dust out of my speakers or something, the sound is superb. I have had several long listening sessions since, whilst doing some A-B listening comparisons with my CD player and believe it or not prefer the sound of the DAC. I think it also helps that i can just put WMP on random and don't have to get up to change CD's etc, but i also find myself listening for much longer. I know there are better DAC's out there but i think this is a great start, and certainly won't be upgrading my CD players anymore. Seems to me that it is much more cost effective (providing you have a laptop or PC etc) for me to stay down the DAC path. Imay well purchase the "supplier" power upgrade for this box to see if that makes a positive difference to the sound. Just thought i would post about the happiest i have ever been with my stereo which has been growing now for apporx 15 years!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
FrankTheTank:I have been the happy owner of a CD73T for approx 4 years, and have enjoyed many hours of listening with both my previous Arcam amp and my more recent Cyrus 8vs2. However, for flexibility reasons and curiosity, i purchased a Firestone Audio Fubar 2 USB DAC a few months ago and have finally got everything set up correctly, will all my music ripped to lossless WAV and on a WD 1TB Hard drive and hooked up to an old Toshiba Laptop. I had previously posted about how pleased i was with some cheap Maplin speaker cable as a temporary replacement for my rumour 2, but within the last week i have replaced this again with my Chord cable. WOW is all i can say, it's like somebody has blown some dust out of my speakers or something, the sound is superb. I have had several long listening sessions since, whilst doing some A-B listening comparisons with my CD player and believe it or not prefer the sound of the DAC. I think it also helps that i can just put WMP on random and don't have to get up to change CD's etc, but i also find myself listening for much longer. I know there are better DAC's out there but i think this is a great start, and certainly won't be upgrading my CD players anymore. Seems to me that it is much more cost effective (providing you have a laptop or PC etc) for me to stay down the DAC path. Imay well purchase the "supplier" power upgrade for this box to see if that makes a positive difference to the sound. Just thought i would post about the happiest i have ever been with my stereo which has been growing now for apporx 15 years!

I would have only been shocked if you said the Arcam was better.

A

Anonymous

Has anybody much experience in other DAC's within a "similar" budget to the Fubar, i.e Dacmagic, VDAC or Beresfords, that they can compare to the Fubar. I'm not desperate to upgrade at the moment, as i said i'm very happy, just wondered about upgrading in the future. As we all know, upgraditis is invevitable. I think for the time being i may just look into the "supplier" upgrade as this is meant to lead to improved dynamics etc. I think for £80 it's worth a punt.

Thanks guys.

John Duncan

Jan 8, 2008
Trying to remember who had the Fubar and went for a Beresford - may have been Chebby. And I think idc bought the Fubar off him (including the upgraded power supply) and was very pleased with it.

Gerrard and I have DACMagics and can vouch for them unreservedly, but not sure I would do so as an upgrade to the one you've already got - I'd suggest you'd need to spend quite a bit more for a worthwhile improvement.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for that John!

I know Chebby defo HAD a Fubar, from previous posts so maybe he will pop along and give his thoughts. Like i say, i'm very happy at the moment so not bothered about swapping it for another DAC. I think the question should just be "Is the Supplier a worthwhile upgrade for £80?" I have seen a couple of online reviews saying that it is a worthwhile investement, but it's always good to hear people's opinions on here.

Thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
JohnDuncan:Trying to remember who had the Fubar and went for a Beresford - may have been Chebby. And I think idc bought the Fubar off him (including the upgraded power supply) and was very pleased with it.

Gerrard and I have DACMagics and can vouch for them unreservedly, but not sure I would do so as an upgrade to the one you've already got - I'd suggest you'd need to spend quite a bit more for a worthwhile improvement.

I've now heard a Beresford, albeit the 7510, and with a budget system and can definitely now say that the transport plays a major role in stereo playback. My Dad only has a Sony DVD recorder (very good one though and I doubt that the transport is anything but solid). I have connected up the dvd player to the Beresford using coaxial and then the Beresford to a media player using optical. Using 320kbps mp3s only, the dvd player was thrashed - not even close! I really believe that the reason lossless files (especially) sent to an external DAC, are much better than a lot of cd players is because there is no physical transport involved. The DAC plays some part obviously but as John says, you will need to spend quite a bit to notice another improvement.

John Duncan

Jan 8, 2008
Yes, thought so - and idc bought it. So since he has both, he's the best person to advise. Maybe a specific post with 'fubar supplier power supply upgrade' will catch his attention.

cheers

JD

John Duncan

Jan 8, 2008
Gerrardasnails:I've now heard a Beresford, albeit the 7510, and with a budget system and can definitely now say that the transport plays a major role in stereo playback.

I refer the right honourable gentleman back to my original 'Air and Magic' thread so many moons ago...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
JohnDuncan:Gerrardasnails:I've now heard a Beresford, albeit the 7510, and with a budget system and can definitely now say that the transport plays a major role in stereo playback.

I refer the right honourable gentleman back to my original 'Air and Magic' thread so many moons ago...

Yes, I know - you da man!

I'm heading up to your place of work on Friday!

John Duncan

Jan 8, 2008
Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:Ooo cool - Big Question? Simon always tries to keep me away from that lot...

That's the one.

Probably won't see you then, if Lucas has anything to do with it

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS