DAC to Cambridge Audio Azur 550A?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
I've just recently bought a new CA azur 550A.

Now i dont know a great deal about Hi-Fi systems, so before i throw the 550A back at Richer Sounds i thought i'd ask you intelligent people first! I understand i have an integrated analogue amplifier, which is connected to my Monitor Audios, but its all very well plugging in aux cables everywhere but i wanted something a bit more...Digital? Is it possible to connect a DAC to this amplifier and have my Macbook run through the DAC via an optical output, as well as the many other gadgets i have laying around.

Do i need a different amp? What can i do?

Any help will be much appreciated, cheers!

nopiano

Any DAC will have analogue outputs intended to go into an amp just like yours. But, AFAIK, you wouldn't normally send an analogue signal from a DAC via optical. The optical is usually the digital one - often from a CD player.

I believe you would typically stream from your Mac via USB, and you can get dedicated DACs for such a purpose, like this:-

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/HRT-Music-Streamer-II/

There is a group test of DACs in the current (November) magazine.

If you wanted digital inputs you should have chosen an AV amp, but the sound quality would be inferior, £ for £. There is a Cambridge media player too, but that's another story. By all means be a bit more specific about your needs and someone else will be along soon.

Welcome to the forum!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Benners101 said:
... Is it possible to connect a DAC to this amplifier and have my Macbook run through the DAC via an optical output, as well as the many other gadgets i have laying around.

What other gadgets do you have? If these other gadgets are things like iPods / iPhones / tablet PC etc., then you could consider a Bluetooth solution. You can digitally stream audio wirelessly from your devices and Macbook via a Bluetooth receiver like the QED uPlay (approx. £60). However, you might be a tad disappointed with the audio quality for serious listening, but the convenience is great. The QED uPlay and other products like the Chordette Gem have a higher quality (albeit lossy) coding method called apt-x which is better than standard Bluetooth audio. You can invest in cheap dongles for around £30-£40 to plug into your devices if you need this higher quality Bluetooth solution. Otherwise just the the in-built Bluethooth that these device could have.

PS I have such an apt-x setup and can stream from my Android tablet, my PC, phone etc., or the phones of visiting friends. I think it's quite a good solution but not as good as a tethered (wired) DAC solution. But then I donlt have to plug / unplug any cables :)

matthewpiano

Nov 23, 2007
Macbook to DAC (via optical or USB) and then analogue rca/phono interconnects from the DAC to your amp. Sorted. CA DacMagic would be fine. No need to change your amp - you've got a good one there.

TRENDING THREADS