DAC / Pre upgrade from M-DAC

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I’m looking for a DAC that also excels as a pre-amp, remote control and balanced output to be used with Event Opals. My system was SBT, Audiolab M-DAC, Croft 25 pre-amp and Event Opals, in my previous passive set up the Croft made a profound positive impact on my enjoyment, now however removing it from the chain has little in the way adverse effect while bringing the recording a little closer.

This has lead me to investigate a higher level of DAC / Pre, this is obviously a rapidly expanding market although many still seems to be one or the other with the secondary function to fit the market, I want one that truly excels at both and I want something that would be a clear upgrade on the M-DAC in this function. I like the detail of the M-DAC but want more musicality and a more refined performance. The volume implementation through the range is particularly important to me.

I’m reluctant to spend over £2k on an item which will date as fast as a DAC so would rather just wait for the technology to develop rather than spend a chunk of money for a sideways step.

I have considered the likes of the Benchmark DAC2 and NAD M51, would these be a clear jump in DAC and preamp function.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
bluedroog said:
I’m looking for a DAC that also excels as a pre-amp, remote control and balanced output to be used with Event Opals. My system was SBT, Audiolab M-DAC, Croft 25 pre-amp and Event Opals, in my previous passive set up the Croft made a profound positive impact on my enjoyment, now however removing it from the chain has little in the way adverse effect while bringing the recording a little closer.

This has lead me to investigate a higher level of DAC / Pre, this is obviously a rapidly expanding market although many still seems to be one or the other with the secondary function to fit the market, I want one that truly excels at both and I want something that would be a clear upgrade on the M-DAC in this function. I like the detail of the M-DAC but want more musicality and a more refined performance. The volume implementation through the range is particularly important to me.

I’m reluctant to spend over £2k on an item which will date as fast as a DAC so would rather just wait for the technology to develop rather than spend a chunk of money for a sideways step.

I have considered the likes of the Benchmark DAC2 and NAD M51, would these be a clear jump in DAC and preamp function.

id be interested in checking out the Hugo TT.

Edit

Just checked the the price and it's way above budget.

bluedroog said:

Not heard the NAD but the Benchmark is a class bit of kit. I guess a lot will depend on what resolution you want the DAC to handle.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What about the Arcam D33, which was £2k when it was introduced, but now seems to be available for £800.

I would expect it to be more analogue sounding than the Benchmark, if that is what you are after.

EDIT. If you require a DAC/Pre, then look elsewhere.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I had Benchmark 2 and I wouldn't choose one as a preamp but it was a fine dac. I would check new Burson Conductor Virtuoso or try Antelope Audio Zodiac.. bit over budget but really worth an audition.

Another possible combination: ATC CA2 + Rega Dac

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I can recommend a Dspeaker Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0 (rather a long name!). This is a DAC, pre-amp and room-eq/DSP unit in one box. Comes with remote control too. Very much a digital music swiss army knife.

Rallye666

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I am actually looking for something similar - to keep my options open with regards to active speakers in future.

I've settled on 3 that I would like to audition, although my budget would be £750, so slightly lower than yours

Wadia 121
M2tech Young DSD
Emotiva Stealth DC-1
Project DAC RS (no preamp) but still interesting to me.

Not tried any of them, but they meet your criteria and all get great reviews if you look around the net

Cheers, James

Rallye666

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Rallye666 said:
I am actually looking for something similar - to keep my options open with regards to active speakers in future.

I've settled on 3 that I would like to audition, although my budget would be £750, so slightly lower than yours

Wadia 121M2tech Young DSDEmotiva Stealth DC-1Project DAC RS (no preamp) but still interesting to me.

Not tried any of them, but they meet your criteria and all get great reviews if you look around the net

Cheers, James

Just thought of another one on my list!

Hegel HD12

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If you like the functionality of the M-DAC you could investigate the addition of a tube buffer. It will add some harmonic distortion which you may well find satisfying and musical.

The actual M-DAC is already one of the most sophisticated chips used and it seems to offer very good facilities.

This may save you money without loosing usability.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If you like the M Dac, keep it and save some money.

DACs are the new cash cow for the audiophile boutique and unless they're so cheap or poorly made as to be not fit for purpose the only real improvement you'll see is the box they come in.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
richardw42 said:
If you like the M Dac, keep it and save some money.?

DACs are the new cash cow for the audiophile boutique and unless they're so cheap or poorly made as to be not fit for purpose the only real improvement you'll see is the box they come in. 

I do think some dacs are better than others and budget also plays a part but bang for buck amp and speakers make real upgrade and a new dac maybe only subtle upgrade

TRENDING THREADS