Dac Magic Vs Musical Fidelity V DAC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As i have previously posted recently, i'm finding my DAC Magic rather too bright for my Cyrus system. I thought initially that this was maybe my amp/speaker/cable combo but after some detailed listening through my CD8x it appears to be not the case. I'm contemplating demoing the Musical Fidelity V-DAC as this seems to offer a less bright sound and has some good reviews. The idea being to probably sell my DAC Magic and replace it. Does anybody have any experience of this DAC in general, and more specifically with kit similar to mine?

Cheers

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
At the risk of getting into trouble: have you taken a look at threads/posts on other forums than WHF? I have seen discussions elsewhere that may help.

A

Anonymous

ESP2009:At the risk of getting into trouble: have you taken a look at threads/posts on other forums than WHF? I have seen discussions elsewhere that may help.

I have a little bit yeah, and i have experimented with the different Phase filters on the DAC Magic also, which can make a difference. Just normally seem to get some helpful, prompt responses on here.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I've not really done much with those phase filters as yet.

I must admit I was tempted to try the MF product, but if I recall correctly it lacks a USB connection, which is what I needed for computer hook-up - hence, I purchased the CA unit instead.

Any try-before-you-buy or sale or return opportunities available?

A

Anonymous

ESP2009:

I must admit I was tempted to try the MF product, but if I recall correctly it lacks a USB connection, which is what I needed for computer hook-up - hence, I purchased the CA unit instead.

The V-DAC does have a USB input, although i will be using the optical from my PS3. I will only demo it before, i have a dealer but just wondered if anybody had any experience/comparisons. The reviews seem to say that the sound is very good and "should" make a good match with my Cyrus gear.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
FrankTheTank:ESP2009:

The V-DAC does have a USB input

Crikey, I really must do something about my memory!
emotion-1.gif
It may have been the extra features that sold me on the DACMagic. I am happy with the boost it has given my system, but am fully prepared to acknowledge that I have yet to compare it against any similar product - perhaps I should at some point.

Anyway, I hope someone contributes with some useful feedback on the V-DAC in due course.

A

Anonymous

ESP2009:FrankTheTank:ESP2009:

The V-DAC does have a USB input

Yeah, i'm not faulting the DAC Magic as a product at all, i think it looks great, has fantastic build quality and features, but i just think it might not be the right sound for my system.

Crikey, I really must do something about my memory!
emotion-1.gif
It may have been the extra features that sold me on the DACMagic. I am happy with the boost it has given my system, but am fully prepared to acknowledge that I have yet to compare it against any similar product - perhaps I should at some point.

Anyway, I hope someone contributes with some useful feedback on the V-DAC in due course.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Why not get Cyrus to upgrade the 8VS2 to an 8XPd?

You will get a better DAC with more refined sound, USB input as well as a better pre/power amp section that will maybe put to bed any concerns you have reference speaker drive you have had in other posts.

A

Anonymous

I'd request a Beresford dac loan unit as I think you may prefer this over the dac magic

T

the record spot

No disrespect to any of the aforementioned DAC products, or anyone who owns them, but you're partnering a £200 DAC with a CD player in the £1k bracket? I would be amazed if there was an improvement, as in step-up improvement, from what was already there.

I'd wager the onboard DAC would be at least as good. If you want an offboard DAC, to bring a sonic improvement, rather than just what I suspect is a sideways or retrograde move, then Stello's £700 effort (forget the name now) or Cyrus' own. But that is is hefty ticket to pay.

Just IMO, YMMV and all that.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:No disrespect to any of the aforementioned DAC products, or anyone who owns them, but you're partnering a £200 DAC with a CD player in the £1k bracket? I would be amazed if there was an improvement, as in step-up improvement, from what was already there.

I'd wager the onboard DAC would be at least as good. If you want an offboard DAC, to bring a sonic improvement, rather than just what I suspect is a sideways or retrograde move, then Stello's £700 effort (forget the name now) or Cyrus' own. But that is is hefty ticket to pay.

Just IMO, YMMV and all that.

sorry, i need to clarify i only use the CA Dac for ATRAC files from my PS3 and for lossless from my laptop. I don't use it in conjunction with the CD8x it'self. I use the on board DAC of the Cyrus for CD's. Initially i thought the 2 cam pretty close to eachother performance wise but after some decent testing it appears not to be as close as i thought. It's not unlistenable by any means, just with certain music i don't find it quite smooth enough perhaps. I may well just audition the V-Dac and see if it suites my tastes and system more than the CA.

A

Anonymous

I have both the Dacmagic and VDAC. The VDAC is my preferred for music only source. The DM is used for playback for films etc. I would say that the VDAC is a little brighter than the DM. If you want to lift the sound of either and you are using USB then consider a M2Tech HiFace USB to coax adapter, not cheap at 100 notes but it will push either dac well into the next level...and I am talking £1000 dacs here. No , I'm not kidding....just read up on the reviews, or you can just take my word for it......Bear in mind that my findings are based on the fact that I use valve amps .

T

the record spot

FrankTheTank:sorry, i need to clarify i only use the CA Dac for ATRAC files from my PS3 and for lossless from my laptop. I don't use it in conjunction with the CD8x it'self. I use the on board DAC of the Cyrus for CD's. Initially i thought the 2 cam pretty close to eachother performance wise but after some decent testing it appears not to be as close as i thought. It's not unlistenable by any means, just with certain music i don't find it quite smooth enough perhaps. I may well just audition the V-Dac and see if it suites my tastes and system more than the CA.

Apologies, my error - I'll take the "learn to read" course over the weekend...!!!

A

Anonymous

the record spot:FrankTheTank:sorry, i need to clarify i only use the CA Dac for ATRAC files from my PS3 and for lossless from my laptop. I don't use it in conjunction with the CD8x it'self. I use the on board DAC of the Cyrus for CD's. Initially i thought the 2 cam pretty close to eachother performance wise but after some decent testing it appears not to be as close as i thought. It's not unlistenable by any means, just with certain music i don't find it quite smooth enough perhaps. I may well just audition the V-Dac and see if it suites my tastes and system more than the CA.

Apologies, my error - I'll take the "learn to read" course over the weekend...!!!

No worries, i wasn't particularily clear either.

A

Anonymous

The V-dac isn't as forward as the Dacmagic, at least to my ears. It will never knock you back in your seat with prat; its virtues being rather more subtle.

T

the record spot

Yes, and "pedestrian" as described in this month's issue seem a tad unfair from what I've heard. Lack of "Wham Bam" doesn't equate to boring!

A

Anonymous

Couldn't agree more, but you have to take into account that the WHF house sound may not suit all ears as they always say. Personally I prefer something a tad more musical, which is what the V-dac most definitely is.

A

Anonymous

you could mod the dac magic .i have been in contact with fidelity hifi who do upgrades on the dac magic .i find the ca dac bright also for my taste .they tell me that the lvl 1 upgrade make the ca audio dac less bright and more neutral improved sound stage.

A

Anonymous

Can you detect a profound difference between the PS3 and the DacMagic?

I could not...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts