dac magic psu

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
has anyone tried the new russ andrews dac magic power supply yet.

i was going to get one thinking it was going to be about £50 -£60 but when i saw it for £100 i decided to wait abit

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
let me no how it goes when you get it .i am planing on geting one still just cant spend £100 at the drop of a hat at the moment hopfully next month my kids wont need food or nappies.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Blunny89:I've ordered mine, waiting for it to arrive.

Great! Can't wait for your findings to share with us.
emotion-1.gif

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
£100 seems quite a lot compared to the price of the DAC Magic, don't you think?

Click the image to see the info page

A

Anonymous

I did read that the there is a Maplin one thats supposed to be good with the dacmagic and makes a improvement think its only about £15.

A

Anonymous

idc:Blunny89, when did you put your order in? I have been waiting three weeks. I ordered one for my amp as it is compatable.

I ordered mine on the 15th April, so not too long ago. I did email RA asking when I could expect delivery and got no reply as of yet...

EDIT: Russ Andrews 'site says the product will be available in 7 days, I guess that's our waiting time! =D

A

Anonymous

PJPro:£100 seems quite a lot compared to the price of the DAC Magic, don't you think?

Click the image to see the info page

It does seem a lot, but I have paid £70 for a Chord mains cable which had a good impact on my amplifier. If the new PSU can make that sort of difference to the DACMagic; I will consider it money well spent. If it's not what I expected, I'll send it back within the 60 day trial period.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
yeah it is alot but i think i will give it ago as ive changed all my other power leads i no this is abit diffrent but you never no if it makes it sound better.

A

Anonymous

nodnarb4444:yeah it is alot but i think i will give it ago as ive changed all my other power leads i no this is abit diffrent but you never no if it makes it sound better.

Lets hope so...

idc

PJPro:£100 seems quite a lot compared to the price of the DAC Magic, don't you think?

Less so as a PSU upgrade for an amp. The PSU that comes from Musical Fidelity is made in China with an MF sticker on it. It gets very, very hot and the fit of the plug into the amp is a bit on the lose side. £100 is a lot, but I look on the PSU a combination of mains conditioning and mains cable since the PSU itself is an upgrade and the cable is shielded Kimber. I know that Maplin PSUs are considered upgrades, but that to me that is an indication of problems with the originally supplied PSU by Cambridge and MF.

A

Anonymous

idc:

Less so as a PSU upgrade for an amp. The PSU that comes from Musical Fidelity is made in China with an MF sticker on it. It gets very, very hot and the fit of the plug into the amp is a bit on the lose side. £100 is a lot, but I look on the PSU a combination of mains conditioning and mains cable since the PSU itself is an upgrade and the cable is shielded Kimber. I know that Maplin PSUs are considered upgrades, but that to me that is an indication of problems with the originally supplied PSU by Cambridge and MF.

The DacMagic has great reviews, and sounds great. So what'd the problem??

It already sounds as good as a £1000 CDP, so the PSU can't be doing that bad a job, am I missing something here?

A

Anonymous

Andy H:Which psu from Maplin is it?? Cheers

This is what you require: Click

Essentially a step-down transformer.

idc

Pmaninit:idc:

The DacMagic has great reviews, and sounds great. So what'd the problem??

It already sounds as good as a £1000 CDP, so the PSU can't be doing that bad a job, am I missing something here?

Pmaninit, the PSU provided is to a price point as they can be bought very cheaply, especially in bulk. The sound difference will probably be small, so if were Cambridge I would probably go with the cheaper option to make my DAC more competitive. I would also be aware that many people do not report any benefits from upgrades, tweeks, whatever you want to call them. Indeed some people are vermently against them and see the whole thing as snake oil.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails

Absolutely superb. Really impressed. I was influenced by large amounts of alcohol though. (It was my birthday). Things can only get better when I get a decent interconnect, I'm using a CA pacific, only cause I got it for a tenner instead of thirty quid at the time of sale.

Running through my kitchen speakers the tweeters are a little bright, (MA metal tweeters)but through my pro acs in the livin room it's glorious. Superb bass, detailed mids and sweet highs.

I still haven't done a comparison with my cd yet but I think it will be very very close.

The music generaly seems more musical, I'm not very good trying to describe these things.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Andy H:Gerrardasnails

Absolutely superb. Really impressed. I was influenced by large amounts of alcohol though. (It was my birthday). Things can only get better when I get a decent interconnect, I'm using a CA pacific, only cause I got it for a tenner instead of thirty quid at the time of sale.

Running through my kitchen speakers the tweeters are a little bright, (MA metal tweeters)but through my pro acs in the livin room it's glorious. Superb bass, detailed mids and sweet highs.

I still haven't done a comparison with my cd yet but I think it will be very very close.

The music generaly seems more musical, I'm not very good trying to describe these things.

Good to hear. I really think good interconnects make a big difference with the DM as well. I got mine for a steal but they retail for more than the DAC and definitely improve things.

A

Anonymous

Maplin's do one for £15. I couldnt tell the difference first off sound wise, it certainly runs a lot cooler than the oe one. After a few days listening it has made a difference, clearer somehow. Glad i got this especially as it's £84 cheaper than the one from Mr Andrew's. Cheers all.

idc

Mr Mucus:Maplin's do one for £15. I couldnt tell the difference first off sound wise, it certainly runs a lot cooler than the oe one. After a few days listening it has made a difference, clearer somehow. Glad i got this especially as it's £84 cheaper than the one from Mr Andrew's. Cheers all.

Interesting what you say about the PSU running cooler, Mr Mucus. The MF PSU I am replacing with the RA one also runs very hot. I have not got mine yet, but it looks as if it has vents to keep it cool. Is there such a thing as too hot for a PSU? Could the replacement ones just be better because they run cooler?

A

Anonymous

The chances are that the cooler ones are able to deliver more current than the hot ones so are not running as close to their rated output. Always a good sign.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts