DAC input on Cambridge Audio 840C

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What that DAC (inputs) in my Cambridge Audio 840C cd player does anyway? what if I connect it to my playstation 3 via optical output on my ps3 to CA digital input and my ps3 is connected via hdmi to my onyko 905 AV reciever??? Will that make any difference? Do I put my cd just on that input and that is it? Cause I connected my dab tuner to one of the inputs on cd player and there is no difference whatsoever!!!! should I set up something or just set input on my cd and that is all???

A

Anonymous

Salesperson should have explained all this to you already...

The DAC (Digital Analogue Converter) takes the binary code from a Digital Source and transforms it into musical waveform. The quality of a DAC dictates the sound quality you will receive. Thing is, your Onkyo doesn't have a particularly bad DAC, so running things straight to that should sound fine. Difference between the CA and Onkyo should still be noticeable to a critical ear though. The quad Wolfson arrangement in the CA has garnered a lot of praise.

A

Anonymous

The PS3 won't output optical and HDMI at the same time. You'll have to alternate in the menu.

For watching films in surround sounds use the HDMI connection to the Onkyo.

However, if you're streaming lossless music from a computer then output the PS3 to the DAC in the 840 CD to improve sound.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
raypalmer:Salesperson should have explained all this to you already...

The DAC (Digital Analogue Converter) takes the binary code from a Digital Source and transforms it into musical waveform. The quality of a DAC dictates the sound quality you will receive. Thing is, your Onkyo doesn't have a particularly bad DAC, so running things straight to that should sound fine. Difference between the CA and Onkyo should still be noticeable to a critical ear though. The quad Wolfson arrangement in the CA has garnered a lot of praise.

The most simple explanation for you is to use stereo interconnects from your cd player to your 905. This way you are using the DAC in the cd player which is a very good one. If you used a digital connection from cd player to 905, you will then be using the DAC from the 905, which although decent for an AV receiver, no where near as good as the 840C. You can use the 840C as a DAC by connecting it to a computer, tuner, Sky/Virgin/Freesat box with digital output. This will then send the digital feed to the 840C and the DAC would be used before sending it to your 905 (which should be connected to the 840C by RCA again).

A

Anonymous

But my cd player is connected to 840A stereo amp via RCA. So if I can choose only which output so if I don't use HDMI but just digital output to cd player then if my cd player is connected to my stereo amp then PS3 sound will be coming from stereo amp not onkyo but then when my hdmi doesn't work there will be no picture??? Sorry guys I don't understand it at all...

A

Anonymous

Very confusing. Do you not have:

840C > 840A

PS3 > 905 (via optical for 5.1 sound)

PS3 > TV (via HDMI for picture)

DAB > 840A

?ÿ

If so just lose the optical and have the PS3 > 905 for 7.1 (is that what you were asking?)ÿ

ÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:
Very confusing. Do you not have:

840C > 840A

PS3 > 905 (via optical for 5.1 sound)

PS3 > TV (via HDMI for picture)

DAB > 840A

?ÿ

If so just lose the optical and have the PS3 > 905 for 7.1 (is that what you were asking?)ÿ

ÿ

PS3 to 905 widh hdmi for picture and HD audio (bluray).

I don't understand what you are asking either Maciek.

TRENDING THREADS