DAC and Importance of Transport

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have an Arcam DV88 that needs a new laser, and Arcam haven't got one and don't sound that hopeful of being able to find one. I used it as my main CD player, and also with a Cyrus AV5-based surround system.

Since my daughter arrived I rarely use the surround feature, so am planning to sell my AV5 and rear and centre power amps to fund a new my purchases, but what should I buy?

Given that I also have a DAB tuner and will probably add a modestly-priced DVD-player, should I go for a DAC (or a digital pre-amp such as the Cyrus DAC-XP), rather than a CD-player, to improve the sound from all three sources?

How important is the quality of the transport to the sound of a separate DAC? How would a budget (not from Asda, but maybe £150) DVD-player and a separate DAC compare with a DAC and a proper "transport", or a decent standalone CD-player, in terms of sound quality? It seems a more flexible option.

A

Anonymous

Yes - it does make you wonder whether you should spend any amount of money on hi-fi equipment if you can't be sure it's going to last more than five years.

Thanks for your advice - buying the Marantz DV7001 was my first thought, but I'm afraid that, as my listening room has turned into a playroom, and I'm not really that bothered about picture quality, I'm going back to stereo and getting a cheaper DVD player.

A

Anonymous

Marantz DV7001 is the What Hi-Fi Product of the Year in its class. I was interested in Marantz when they brought out the CD-63SE. Marantz was a market leader then . Glad to see them making a come back.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="BlueMax"]Glad to see them making a come back.[/quote]

They never been away! In fact in the last few years they build more quality hifi equipments more than the other.....My old mate Ken is getting old now, bless him

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts