Cyrus xpd and Ma rs8

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, i currently have the monitopr audio rs8's as part off my home cinema set up, but i would like to get the cyrus as had a demo off it in store,

i have read some of the other forum coments reagarding the match and a few people dont think to seem they would go together.

Has any one got the cyrus and ma8 as a team?

If so what is your verdict?

the cd player would be the marrantz 6003(allready owned) until i could upgrade to the cyrus 6se.

i dont realy have the choice to change the speakers as it is part of the cinema set up.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
If it sounds ok to you then its fine. No doubt the 8 XPd will kick the Monitor Audios into touch...

If the Marantz has a digital output then feed that into the DAC of the 8 XPd. It will almost certainly upgrade the CD player.

A

Anonymous

hi, jocky.wilson,

what do you mean by "kicking the monitor audio rs8's in to touch?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Many people will say that Monitor Audio and Cyrus aren't a good match. Those that generalise in this way obviously haven't heard many of these combinations, and aren't familiar with Monitor Audio's ranges.

The generalisation refers to the RS series, which you have, and the discontinued Cyrus amps like the 6 and 8 and their variants, which are very lean sounding, bringing th higher frequencies forward into the mix and producing quite a thin sound. The RS's have quite a lively treble, and when these two are mixed together, they exaggerate each other. I would add that your CD player probably won't help the exciteable HF performance of the system, although using it digitally into the amp would bless of an issue.

The newer 6 and 8 amps (xp and xpd) are much fuller sounding and less 'top heavy', and should be fine with the 8xp you're thinking of.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, allways good to get an opionion from such a experianced person.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, a pleasure
emotion-1.gif

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Many people will say that Monitor Audio and Cyrus aren't a good match. Those that generalise in this way obviously haven't heard many of these combinations, and aren't familiar with Monitor Audio's ranges.

The generalisation refers to the RS series, which you have, and the discontinued Cyrus amps like the 6 and 8 and their variants, which are very lean sounding, bringing th higher frequencies forward into the mix and producing quite a thin sound. The RS's have quite a lively treble, and when these two are mixed together, they exaggerate each other. I would add that your CD player probably won't help the exciteable HF performance of the system, although using it digitally into the amp would bless of an issue.

The newer 6 and 8 amps (xp and xpd) are much fuller sounding and less 'top heavy', and should be fine with the 8xp you're thinking of.

I agree with the over reaction to the combo. I think it is, also, very essential that room acoustics have to be on the forgiving side. I've hooked up the older 8VS2 with my RS6s/ CD73T and it sounded fine, although, I observed the sound did major on female vocalists as opposed to rock music. This was in direct comparison with the Kandy LIII.

unison

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
Have you considered any other CD player as your future upgrade, rather than the Cyrus ie the new audiolab? That might be a way to balance the system, given you can't change speakers.

Also I found with my own cyrus 8XPqx and CDxTse system the leaness people talk about was greatly improved by adding a PSX-R bought on ebay for £250, along with some clear audio power cables.

And being careful about speaker cable and interconnect choice can also help. But you might find like many of us that you like the "cyrus sound". It really is a matter of taste, cyrus systems do seem to divide people. So you really should get an extended listen.

I guess those who don't like the "cyrus sound" might say you can't balance what they consider to be an unbalanced system

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
firewire:

hi, jocky.wilson,

what do you mean by "kicking the monitor audio rs8's in to touch?

I mean that the 8XPd will grip them and make the most of them. The 8XPd is capable of making much more dmanding speakers sing, so should have no probs with yours...

A

Anonymous

Thank you all, for assistance.the dealer has very kindly loaned me the 8xpd and 6cd se to trial at home,

just love them, so much detail, i was able to compare my marantz amp,cd in various set ups and just couldnt get over how nice the cyrus kit is.

just got to squeeze the wallet now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts