Cyrus X Amplifier - How much have the internals changed?

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been wondering, do manufacturers tinker with the internals of a specific model over time without launching it as a new model. The reason I ask is because I've been looking at a Cyrus X Amplifier and its cheap enough to buy without worrying if its a mistake after it arrives (e.g. if I dont like the sound). The seller says its about 5 or 6 years old so I was wondering how it would sound compared to a new one. Also, is it possible to send it to Cyrus to be 'updated' if they've changed components?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I can only use the Naim Nait 5i that I owned as an example. Even during it's '5i'' (italic) phase there were minor changes made.

Manufacturers reserve the right to do this, as they see fit, for any number of reasons without having to tell everyone. (Change of component suppliers for instance.)

Also, you seem to assume the later models will be better. (Hence your question about getting differences retro-fitted.)

It's just as likely the differences (in sound) will be non existent or the earlier version could be better. (Or at least more to your taste.)

Personally I don't think it matters unless your example missed a free product recall or some other 'bug' fix.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Very true. I've been offered it for £250 which is why im tempted. But one thing I was thinking of was then adding a second one at a later date and either running them as dual mono's or dedicated hi/low arrangement. It would concern me that they could be sonically different

JMac said:
Very true. I've been offered it for £250 which is why im tempted. But one thing I was thinking of was then adding a second one at a later date and either running them as dual mono's or dedicated hi/low arrangement. It would concern me that they could be sonically different

I would not worry unduely about running a pair of these in dual mono. When it comes to amplifiers like this you will not find two that are actually 'identical'. Sure they will have the same or very similar components but like all paired devices (speakers etc) getting them actually the same is extremely difficult.

These amps will, however, be so similar you are unlikely to hear any sound differences between them if used in a dual mono setup.

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
A friend of mine uses a Cyrus 2 - Had the caps & phono sockets on a back changed a few months ago for a pittance by a guy who it seems does it for fun rather than money & it sounds great! - I can understand why he likes it, very simple amp but very forthright & far more powerful at driving speakers than the specs seem to indicate - I can't see him ever changing it.

Neptune_Twilight said:
A friend of mine uses a Cyrus 2 - Had the caps & phono sockets on a back changed a few months ago for a pittance by a guy who it seems does it for fun rather than money & it sounds great! - I can understand why he likes it, very simple amp but very forthright & far more powerful at driving speakers than the specs seem to indicate - I can't see him ever changing it.

...and the point is??

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
My point is (apart from the fact a smack in the face can offend ) is that new is not necessary better, old can be fine in the case of Cyrus for example - That was the OP's original point?

Oh & he found the additional Cyrus PSU made little difference.

Is it necessary to make such offensive smart comments? BTW I was not born yesterday.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If you plan on keeping it 'forever and ever' then it is worth the upgrading/refurbishing. You will not get those 250GBP back if you sell it second hand later on. The modifications might actually hurt the value. It's illogical but true.

Neptune_Twilight said:
My point is (apart from the fact a smack in the face can offend ) is that new is not necessary better, old can be fine in the case of Cyrus for example - That was the OP's original point?

Oh & he found the additional Cyrus PSU made little difference.

Is it necessary to make such offensive smart comments? BTW I was not born yesterday.

I guess none of us where born yesterday. Threatening forumees is against house rules I believe.. The OPs original question was whether newer Cyrus X would sound dissimilar to an older one and whether or not pairing an old with a new would be a good idea in a dual-mono setup is how I read it. Apologies if comment offended I did not see how your post related to Cyrus X Amplifier - How much have the internals changed?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
To a cetain extent, amps are like washing powder. The manufacturers would have you believe that today's washing powders are so improved that products from years ago must've been making our clothes dirtier not cleaner. Except that isn't true. In fact 35 years ago I'm pretty sure my mum used to be able to get my school-shirts and PE shirts white without having to use modern pre-treatments like Vanish. Scoop of Daz in the twin-tub is all that was needed. The relevance of mentioning this is that I reckon you can use the Cyrus X with full confidence, without worrying that it has been unrecognisably outmoded, despite what the blurb might say in a brochure.

TRENDING THREADS