Cyrus vs Naim (again!) - supernait and DAC X

noeluk

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Hello

Reading posts on this forum it seems I am not the only person trying to decide between Naim and Cyrus. I have been auditioning both brands at entry level: Cyrus 6 CD / Amp, Naim 5i CD / Amp.

I like the open detail of the Cyrus but it lacked 'umph', sounds better partnered with a different amp. Naim was good but less exciting.

I also heard the Supernait today and realised that given I play most of music from my laptop these day I should consider at DAC solution that I can plug into the digi out of an Apple Express (instead of investing in a new CD player).

The Supernait sounded much better that the Nait 5i - it should do at the price - but still felt a little dull.

Has anyone tried the Cyrus DAC-X? I know it will need extra amplification, but I was wondering if it possessed the same open bright detailed character of the Cyrus CD players. Does the 'house sound' follow through to the DAC? 

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If you like your music 'exciting' try Cyrus'es 8vs2 instead of the 6. More wheight, punch and drive. It's also upgradeable with a psx.

IMO you are better off spending the extra cash you save by getting the 6se (or 8se) rather than transport separate DAC on good speakers or better amplification. The new players are good out of the box, as where the predecessors. I also agree about the SNait, aquired taste, as anything.

A

Anonymous

In terms of the DAC section I think the Cyrus is ahead of the S-Nait.

noeluk

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Drummerman

I did try the 8ÿseries too, but it was pushing the budget.ÿ

My consideration of the DAC-X is more about making the most of MP3 files, rather than a superior CD set-up. I play and buy more music online these days (when the quality is decent enough) than CD. I'm hoping the DAC-X option would be a great route for MP3, but would still allow me to get some extra life out of my old Marantz CD player.

I will still deffo consider buying the CD too when my bank balance is a little less, well, 'crunched'. ÿ :)ÿ

noeluk

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks a4quattro

Something makes me think I'm going to agree with you. I hope to audition the Cyrus DAC next weekend.ÿ

ÿ

Does anyone know any London dealers who sell both Cyrus and Naim so I can make a direct comparison?ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
noeluk:
Thanks Drummerman

I did try the 8 series too, but it was pushing the budget.

My consideration of the DAC-X is more about making the most of MP3 files, rather than a superior CD set-up. I play and buy more music online these days (when the quality is decent enough) than CD. I'm hoping the DAC-X option would be a great route for MP3, but would still allow me to get some extra life out of my old Marantz CD player.

I will still deffo consider buying the CD too when my bank balance is a little less, well, 'crunched'. :)

Its been a while since I heard the cyrus DAC and when I did it was in context of an expensive cyrus system so to judge exactly how much better it would be than the current cyrus players is difficult.

What I do believe is with digital replay the return for increased spending is disproportionally small these days though in a high resolution system, with the appropriate funds available, it does of course make sense. To be more clear, I recently had a DacMagic here and it is a great, inexpensive way to link all sorts of digital sources with an existing system. The difference between it and an 840C, though clearly audible, was not £500. One of my previous players was the 8x and I am familiar with the new cyrus SE's. To me the CA was the better player though it was used in an entirely different system of course so under other circumstances it may have been an other outcome.

Anyway, long story short, if money's tight I'd personally go for the Dacmagic and better amplification than the cyrus 6 ie. 8vs2/psx.

Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts