Cyrus upgrade

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
I have just upgraded my Cyrus system, that consisted of 2 mono 200 power amp, with a stream xp2qx plus psxr. I now have the same power amps plus a Dac xp+ and psxr with a stream x2. I find the sound so much more detailed, but a little sharpe and not as much attack and grunt.

i have connected DAC to the amp with atlas balanced interconnects and stream to dac with atlas compass digital interconnect.

Just to test things, I re connected my stream xp2qx to the power amps and then the stream x and had same results.

Am I a little paranoid that my investment hasn't brought me anything. Or is it the brand new stream x needs running in ? Or maybe the Atlas compass digital interconnect a little bright ??

im convinced I've done the right thing getting the Dacxp+ and need the analogue interconnects, so need some advise of how I can soften this off and get the grunt back..... Thanks.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I doubt the Stream X2 needs running in.

I doubt the interconnects make any difference.

Is the DAC XP+ used?

I know that from new DAC XP models take a while to burn in. My DAC XP Signature took about four months..

But if you had the cash I would have recommended going for the Stream X Signature model rather than the X2.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Mmmh, even as a 'cable do make differences' side of the camp sort of guy I'd stop short of digital interconnects being different. Having said that ... I once took part in blind test of exactly those at WHtowers and could have sworn I detected differences. Expectation bias? No idea but we all thought we heard differences ... go figure.

If I understand correctly, you just added the DACxp plus digital interconnect into your system and find more detail but less musicality?

No shame in recognizing that an 'upgrade' is not always a welcome change but what if you take the psx-r out of the equation?

In my system, more modest than yours, I find them (psx-r's to amp/cd player) to lower the noise floor and reign in the ample bass, I much prefer it that way.

I also have two cyrus players and prefer the older one.

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
Dac XPDQX+ is a reprocessed unit. Unpacking it, it looks brand new, so I don't know what Cyrus do with these, but it could well be new, or had a full overhaul and had lots of new parts.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps a warranty return, repaired, tested and perhaps a new case if necessary? Could also have been a show demonstrator.

I doubt it is faulty. Probably as good as new.

Maybe just live with it for a couple of weeks and then switch back to the old system. See which one you prefer then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts