cyrus/rega system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been enjoying my cyrus/rega r3 setup for a few months now but find it to be a little bright. On a short listen it impresses but it doesn't make me want to keep listening for hours like my previous system (arcam cd192 and a85). I changed my setup as i thought it lacked a little excitement but doing this has given me a 'thinner' sound that is fast and exciting but fails to convey the emotion of the music like my arcams did. Maybe i should have kept the cd player and just changed the amp. I am using van den hul snowline speaker cable which was great on my previous setup but i think it's a silver cable and was wondering whether changing it might help.

I like so much of what the cyrus products do and really want to make the system work without changing these components if i can so if adding a psx-r or changing cables would help then i would be happiest but if a change of speakers or amp (maybe to naim or rega??) is needed i would consider that also.

Gears of Law:

I have been enjoying my cyrus/rega r3 setup for a few months now but find it to be a little bright. On a short listen it impresses but it doesn't make me want to keep listening for hours like my previous system (arcam cd192 and a85). I changed my setup as i thought it lacked a little excitement but doing this has given me a 'thinner' sound that is fast and exciting but fails to convey the emotion of the music like my arcams did. Maybe i should have kept the cd player and just changed the amp. I am using van den hul snowline speaker cable which was great on my previous setup but i think it's a silver cable and was wondering whether changing it might help.

I like so much of what the cyrus products do and really want to make the system work without changing these components if i can so if adding a psx-r or changing cables would help then i would be happiest but if a change of speakers or amp (maybe to naim or rega??) is needed i would consider that also.

The problem is about synergy. The cyrus is bright and lean and the Rega has similar traits, so I'm not surprised it sounds a little fatiguing on long listening sessions. You can either change amp to a Naim or keep your existing electronics to a more gutsy speaker, such as Dynaudio or Epos M12.2.

Adding a PSX-R will give you a little more bass, although from what you've mentioned, I doubt it will ommit the tiring edge to long sessions. cable will give it a slightly different edge, but again, not enough.

A

Anonymous

Thanks penguin. I might have a look at changing the speakers then. Have you heard dynaudio and the epos you mentioned? Could you (or anyone) give me an idea of what differences there are between their sounds?

Also, would a change of speakers be the way to go, or would changing the amp be a better solution?

Gears of Law:

Thanks penguin. I might have a look at changing the speakers then. Have you heard dynaudio and the epos you mentioned? Could you (or anyone) give me an idea of what differences there are between their sounds?

Also, would a change of speakers be the way to go, or would changing the amp be a better solution?

A few years ago, I heard the old Audience 52's with Cyrus 8 combo - absoluetly fabulous. Though I have to confess, not the Epos with Cyrus.

Last week, I had a coverse with a couple of others on this forum, and it seems, increasingly, more and more posting threads about how bright the Cyrus is with various speakers, hence why, if you have long listening sessions, Arcam is amongst the best. Sorry for the slight diversion there.....

A

Anonymous

I have heard that the audience 52's are quite smooth sounding so they could be what i'm looking for. Don't know if all dynaudio's are similar to this but i suppose i really need to have a listen to a few and find out what i like. I was hoping to buy second hand speakers so i could get more for my money and wouldn't have to upgrade for a while. Obviously, this would make them more difficult to audition so i would be relying on advice of others.

For now i think i'll change my speaker cable, maybe add a second hand psx-r and look into making a shortlist for speakers. Suggestions for my shortlist from anyone would be most appreciated, cheers.

Gears of Law:

I have heard that the audience 52's are quite smooth sounding so they could be what i'm looking for. Don't know if all dynaudio's are similar to this but i suppose i really need to have a listen to a few and find out what i like. I was hoping to buy second hand speakers so i could get more for my money and wouldn't have to upgrade for a while. Obviously, this would make them more difficult to audition so i would be relying on advice of others.

For now i think i'll change my speaker cable, maybe add a second hand psx-r and look into making a shortlist for speakers. Suggestions for my shortlist from anyone would be most appreciated, cheers.

Auditioning older models shouldn't be a problem. Audio-T are stockists of Dynos and Cyrus and they have quite a vast collection of ex-dem or s/hand stuff. Just check on the website and whether any brances have a particular model in, ask them nicely, they'll get it whizzed down to your local branch

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
The penguin is right in that many posters recently with Cyrus systems worry about overly bright or lean sound which make long listening tricky.

I guess a shop demo of a brighter system can seem great and stand out against another system. It feels like whilst they are excellent components they do need matching up with smoother items to tame them or add some weight. I wonder if the arcam 192 would not have been a better one to hold onto with the cyrus amplifier.

Chord Silverscreen cable helped me with one of my older systems to smooth out on brightness while retaining good detail so this may be one way to go without a wholesale change of items.

A

Anonymous

Penguin...thanks for the suggestion. I might give audio-t a call and see what they have in stock. I haven't come across them before.

Crusaderlord...yes, they sounded great in the shop and i wish i had kept the 192 to do a comparison. It was a great player and would have probably sounded great with the 8vs2 adding that extra bit of warmth.

It would seem that i need to change either cd, amp or speakers to get the sound i am looking for but i'm not sure which to go for.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
my local shop reckon cyrus and spendor, also as said dyn's get a lot of votes although some can be a b$gger to drive and tend to need a lot of space behind them.

Gears of Law:

Penguin...thanks for the suggestion. I might give audio-t a call and see what they have in stock. I haven't come across them before.

Crusaderlord...yes, they sounded great in the shop and i wish i had kept the 192 to do a comparison. It was a great player and would have probably sounded great with the 8vs2 adding that extra bit of warmth.

It would seem that i need to change either cd, amp or speakers to get the sound i am looking for but i'm not sure which to go for.

Is is another problem with the Cyrus - if you're concerned about aesthetics then speakers are the must.

I agree with Crusaderlors, Cyrus and Arcam can sound wonderful. I've heard my CD73 with 8VS2 + my RS6's and it sounded wonderful. But in terms of not rocking the 'Apple Cart' if think speakers are the first point of call.....

A

Anonymous

Thanks Craig. Spendor will definitely be on my shortlist if i decide to change the speakers. So many cyrus owners seem to love them. I feel like i should give the Cyrus gear more of a chance even though the sound isn't doing it for me at the moment.

I am tempted to try an arcam cd player with the system though and see if that will solve the problem. I loved my cd192 and am also a bit annoyed that cyrus are planning on changing the slot mechanism on their players already, probably devaluing mine if i were to sell it on.

Gears of Law:

Thanks Craig. Spendor will definitely be on my shortlist if i decide to change the speakers. So many cyrus owners seem to love them. I feel like i should give the Cyrus gear more of a chance even though the sound isn't doing it for me at the moment.

I am tempted to try an arcam cd player with the system though and see if that will solve the problem. I loved my cd192 and am also a bit annoyed that cyrus are planning on changing the slot mechanism on their players already, probably devaluing mine if i were to sell it on.

G of L, be a little careful of Spendor. Don't get me wrong they are great little speakers, but if you go for the entry-level jobs S3E's, like your Regas, may sound a little lacking in the bottom end area. To go further up the Spendor ladder they start to cost: even second hand SA1's (which probably won't give you the grunt) you are talking around £800 plus. Compare that to Dynos, s/hand can be had for around £400 (52's or Excite range) or £600 or so for the 52SE's or entry-level Focus.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
If I was you I would change the amp to a Naim Nait XS, you can pick up lasts years model brand new for £895 at a certain retailer in Cheshire. Sell your Cyrus gear on flea bay to possibly cover then sit back and enjoy

True Blue:If I was you I would change the amp to a Naim Nait XS, you can pick up lasts years model brand new for £895 at a certain retailer in Cheshire. Sell your Cyrus gear on flea bay to possibly cover then sit back and enjoy

TB, isn't the XS a bit of an overkill with the R3's?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
No not at all, you get a fantastic soundstage width and depth, Naims dynamics, drive and general musicality with Rega's which dont add or take anything away, there is fantastic synergy between Rega and Naim. I personally think the OP is possibly not getting on with the Cyrus sound, so will always be chasing the sound they reqiure. Just thought it was the most cost efficient alternative which gives the OP the largest possibility for future upgrades in speakers, power supplies etc. Provided they get a decent return on the Cyrus gear, should completely cover the cost of he reduced XS.

True Blue:No not at all, you get a fantastic soundstage width and depth, Naims dynamics, drive and general musicality with Rega's which dont add or take anything away, there is fantastic synergy between Rega and Naim. I personally think the OP is possibly not getting on with the Cyrus sound, so will always be chasing the sound they reqiure. Just thought it was the most cost efficient alternative which gives the OP the largest possibility for future upgrades in speakers, power supplies etc. Provided they get a decent return on the Cyrus gear, should completely cover the cost of he reduced XS.

The RRP of XS is £1500, I would of thought the Nait 5i would be better suited, and it still retains the ballsy sound that Naim is known for....

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes, thats right so to get a brand new one (last years model) boxed from an authorised Naim retailer for £895 is a bit of a bargain.

A

Anonymous

The Rega R3s are very good speakers indeed and will definately benefit from the XS. I daresay you could keep going on the amp and source front with them too. I've always thought they worked best with Rega amps (surprise, surprise).

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
The 5i whilst good is not a patch on the XS. So much so even this magazine commented that people would probably want to stretch the extra, so to get one for approx £140 more than a 5i its a no brainer.

Also as said earlier the XS can be upgraded in the future with power supplies and as you have correctly assumed is capable of driving much larger speakers, can also add power amps etc, so the XS would be pretty much a long term investment, whilst the 5i would only be acting as a stop gap so to say :)

A

Anonymous

I am having this problem with cyrus power / III / psxr x 2 I bought recently.

The psxr's help a bit. But not enough.

I am using a pioneer pdr609 via dacmagic and the sound is too bright. I hope replacing the pioneer with a teac vrds transport will cure the problem. Anyone got any views? I, like you, don't really want to sell the cyrus.

My ariston turntable with Stanton cartridge does not sound at all bright with the amps so this gives me hope. In fact, the Stanton cartridge makes it a bit bass heavy and lacking detail.

It is a fine line with bass / detail.

I haven't biamped yet as I will get a new transport and then buy new speaker cable. I would like to get the Silver High Breed cable due to price / vfm but it might be too bright.

Once the new teac transport is in place I can judge better.

A

Anonymous

True blue...the nait xs at that price is tempting although i would have to shell out for a new cd player that would do it justice. Could you tell me the retailer or is that not allowed on the forum?

Igglebert..can you tell me which rega amp you have heard with the r3's? I like my speakers and am reluctant to change them as i feel like i haven't got the best out of them yet. Would the mira be the best for them or am i best trying something like the pre/power setup?

Feeling even more confused now. I know i need to try before i buy anything but i would like to at least know which item(s) to change?

A

Anonymous

The Mira3 amp. It sounds polite compared to a Naim amp and I suppose there's the difference. Rega kit sounds more hifi and Naim more PRAT. If you can afford to go up from there to one of their pre/power combos (Cursa/Maia) or integrated/power combos (Mira3/Maia) you'll be rewarded with better bass control and a moree expansive sound stage.

Gears of Law:

True blue...the nait xs at that price is tempting although i would have to shell out for a new cd player that would do it justice. Could you tell me the retailer or is that not allowed on the forum?

Igglebert..can you tell me which rega amp you have heard with the r3's? I like my speakers and am reluctant to change them as i feel like i haven't got the best out of them yet. Would the mira be the best for them or am i best trying something like the pre/power setup?

Feeling even more confused now. I know i need to try before i buy anything but i would like to at least know which item(s) to change?

From what I've here the CD6SE is in a different stratosphere to other price compatible CDP's. I would imagine it would be a really good match for the XS.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Acoustica in Cheshire. I have no affiliation with this shop nor hifi sales in general, just passing on good service I recieved by word of mouth.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:The Mira3 amp. It sounds polite compared to a Naim amp and I suppose there's the difference. Rega kit sounds more hifi and Naim more PRAT. If you can afford to go up from there to one of their pre/power combos (Cursa/Maia) or integrated/power combos (Mira3/Maia) you'll be rewarded with better bass control and a moree expansive sound stage.

PRAT??? please educate.........thankyou

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts