Cyrus problems

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I bought myself a cd6 SE and a 6xp today, got them home and pluged in, and the amp refuses to work with PSU problems :( so i got my cd player hooked up to my old pre amp and im listening thru headphones. It seems to be extremely picky about playing CDs, sometimes they will work after reinserting them a few times, sometimes many many times :( even a brand new clean disc was rejected once. Is this player a basket case aswell? How often can this happen before i ought to think about taking it back? I have to say i expected better than this from the brand and for the money spent.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I'd just take it back, mate. The bottom line is that it's a badly designed loading mechanism. Even if yours has an older version of the software and needs a firmware update, it'll still play up intermittently.

How Cyrus got away with releasing the SE range is beyond me.

A

Anonymous

Is this something fixable or did i just buy the wrong kit? Is it possible to get one that actually works or will every player do this ?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Every SE player exhibits to reluctance to play certain discs. Some people manage to live with it, but for me personally, if I was paying £600+ for a player, I'd demand perfect performance and not have to persuade, beg and cajole it into accepting discs!

Seriously, take it back mate. Think of how annoying it's going to be long term, if you keep it, not knowing if the players gonna play a disc or not on any given time. Also, tbhere's plenty of other CDP out there for Cyrus money that DO work perfectly AND sound better.

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant, but the blummin SE range really gets on my nerves
smiley-smile.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
Every SE player exhibits to reluctance to play certain discs. Some people manage to live with it, but for me personally, if I was paying £600+ for a player, I'd demand perfect performance and not have to persuade, beg and cajole it into accepting discs!

Seriously, take it back mate. Think of how annoying it's going to be long term, if you keep it, not knowing if the players gonna play a disc or not on any given time. Also, tbhere's plenty of other CDP out there for Cyrus money that DO work perfectly AND sound better.

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant, but the blummin SE range really gets on my nerves
smiley-smile.gif

spot on! i had one on home dem - pain in the backside!

A

Anonymous

I think the rant is justified, really at this kind of money a cd player that wont load discs is a major wtf. On top of that a faulty amp, i will be wary of cyrus from now on. The only reason i didnt go for the audiolab 8200 and its partner amp was the lack of XLRs on the amp which seems to make no sense to me. The sad thing is that once the disc actally loads it sounds great even thru headphones

Thx for the link chebby, i did actually seach and read the first few pages of that but i was hoping somebody was gonna tell me everything would be ok :p

A

Anonymous

Ok just a bit of an update. I took the amp and cd back to the shop. The shop guy plugs the amp in.... it works perfectly. Then the CD, every cd he puts in works fine except one that he scrached up a bit. Im standing there looking like an idiot. I exchanged them for the audiolab amp and cd all the while he was insisting that i was losing out cause the cycus stuff was better. Dunno what to make of it now, ill plug the new kit in soon and see what happens.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Imagawa99 said:
Ok just a bit of an update. I took the amp and cd back to the shop. The shop guy plugs the amp in.... it works perfectly. Then the CD, every cd he puts in works fine except one that he scrached up a bit. Im standing there looking like an idiot. I exchanged them for the audiolab amp and cd all the while he was insisting that i was losing out cause the cycus stuff was better. Dunno what to make of it now, ill plug the new kit in soon and see what happens.

Classic case of Sod's Law
smiley-smile.gif
Don't listen to the Sales drone, you've made the right decision. Audiolab stuff is brilliant. I personally prefer it to Cyrus.

A

Anonymous

mitch65 said:
Yep, the dealer speaketh with fork tongue me thinks :p

Thats funny, when i mentioned i had posted here he said sometihng quite similar about these forums, hehe.

A

Anonymous

Very nice tbh. It loved my leftfield rythm and stealth, dug out an amazing amount of detail from variations on a theme. I didnt think stings dream of the blue turtles sounded all that much better than any other time i have heard i tho, but to be fair its only just out of the box. Im still only listening thu phones atm cause i have been too lazy to set things up :) It seems in less of a hurry than the cyrus player, but im not going to compare too much cause my cyrus amp never actually worked when i had it. I have some old tannoy floorstanders that ill wire up once they have been cleaned up, but in the future ill be looking to get something better. Its nice to have decent sounds again, i think its going to work out well.

Edit: Awful fiddly speaker terminals tho. I would have happily payed £10 more if it would have come with something that was easy to use and better thought out.

A

Anonymous

I earlier posted on another of the Cyrus threads here; now I've found this one! - I needed to replace my CD player & can't get into a town/shopping centre. Since the previous CD player was a Cyrus & had been reliable for six years I bought the Cyrus CD8SE. From the box delivered this Tuesday it refused to read the first disc, played two discs, eventually agreed to no. 4 after some negotiation ... & swallowed the seventh disc. By switching off at the plug I recovered the CD. All were Red Book CDs from established labels in pristine condition.

Cyrus have agreed to refund me, though "we" still haven't sorted out how they (or, presumably, the nearest Sevenoaks) are going to collect it. Had I done an internet search before buying the player I'd have avoided the Cyrus. Which is a lesson.

I am amazed by this. To me it's absolutely clear that these machines should not be being offered for sale. "Reliability" issues aside (which they aren't: it doesn't work properly) I wouldn't trust it with my carefully looked after & long compiled CD collection. There must be the risk of damage associated with the reading/disc eject faults.

There is more on this at the Cyrus Unofficial Forum (& I'd imagine the contributors are well-disposed to Cyrus, have an attachment to the 'brand' http://www.rdhworld.myzen.co.uk/smfcu/index.php?topic=15312.0). The idea of having to turn a CD player upside down & pat it to get it to eject a disc is pure farce
smiley-surprised.gif

I'd be very grateful to know if anyone has a view on another player: the Roksan Caspian M2 CD Player. I can't get out to listen to & compare players - I had a bad accident last year & I'm still not too mobile. Music isn't my profession, but I do work with musicians & music is essential to me. My musical interests are 'early' (Medieval/Renaissance vocal); Baroque; later classical music; contemporary classical music/free improv. & a bit of punk :).

Thanks in advance.

arcades project said:
I earlier posted on another of the Cyrus threads here; now I've found this one! - I needed to replace my CD player & can't get into a town/shopping centre. Since the previous CD player was a Cyrus & had been reliable for six years I bought the Cyrus CD8SE. From the box delivered this Tuesday it refused to read the first disc, played two discs, eventually agreed to no. 4 after some negotiation ... & swallowed the seventh disc. By switching off at the plug I recovered the CD. All were Red Book CDs from established labels in pristine condition.

Cyrus have agreed to refund me, though "we" still haven't sorted out how they (or, presumably, the nearest Sevenoaks) are going to collect it. Had I done an internet search before buying the player I'd have avoided the Cyrus. Which is a lesson.

I am amazed by this. To me it's absolutely clear that these machines should not be being offered for sale. "Reliability" issues aside (which they aren't: it doesn't work properly) I wouldn't trust it with my carefully looked after & long compiled CD collection. There must be the risk of damage associated with the reading/disc eject faults.

There is more on this at the Cyrus Unofficial Forum (& I'd imagine the contributors are well-disposed to Cyrus, have an attachment to the 'brand' http://www.rdhworld.myzen.co.uk/smfcu/index.php?topic=15312.0). The idea of having to turn a CD player upside down & pat it to get it to eject a disc is pure farce
smiley-surprised.gif

I'd be very grateful to know if anyone has a view on another player: the Roksan Caspian M2 CD Player. I can't get out to listen to & compare players - I had a bad accident last year & I'm still not too mobile. Music isn't my profession, but I do work with musicians & music is essential to me. My musical interests are 'early' (Medieval/Renaissance vocal); Baroque; later classical music; contemporary classical music/free improv. & a bit of punk :).

Thanks in advance.

Hi arcades project

What amp and speakers do you use?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hello Rick.

The amp is a Musical Fidelity X-150 & the speakers are Spendors on stands (not big floor standing speakers). Thanks! :)

A

Anonymous

I read you other thread arcades. I took my cyrus 6 back asap and exchanged it for the audiolab 8200cd. I dunno how it would compare to an 8SE but its sounding fabulous and plays all my scratched up old cds without complaint. Cyrus need to take a long hard look at their products imo, before their name becomes associated with hifi that doesnt work.

A

Anonymous

That audiolab is interesting. It would certainly save me money on the Roksan player: I was a bit concerned reading about it that there was a lot to the player I wouldn't use (with FLAC I'd always burn to a CDR); but that might be my misunderstanding. Thanks for the reply, Imagawa99.

arcades project said:
Hello Rick.

The amp is a Musical Fidelity X-150 & the speakers are Spendors on stands (not big floor standing speakers). Thanks! :)

Hi arcades project

In addition to the 8200 and M2, cd players also worth a look are the Naim CD 5i, Rega Saturn, Yamaha's CD-S1000/CD-S2000 and Musical Fidelity M3.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

thanks for that, Rick :). I should have looked the first time before leaping!

Jacko

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
A P

I can thoroughly endorse the Audiolab as being good value and sounding great. Certainly believe you should put it on your shortlist.

A

Anonymous

I have to say the loading mechanism of the SE range is the pits. I have a CD6s Cyrus player which has given much faithful service. I would like to upgrade eventually to another Cyrus CDP but the SE completely puts me off. If your paying several hundred pounds you expect something reliable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts