Cyrus DAC XP+ running hot

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
Purely by chance I noticed a faint whiff of burning close to my DAC. It had been running from cold for around 2 hours. Touching the casing it was very warm.

is this common, for them to run so warm, or am I likely to have a problem ?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Most cyrus components other than cd players/transports have a warm (not hot) top of casing. There are no top vents.

Is it brand new? That could explain the smell to an extent and I would just run it and see. You have a warranty so i wouldn't worry. Otherwise get it checked out.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Cyrus with a potential fault? Surely not. *stop*

I would definitely get this checked out as your Cyrus warranty will probably not cover a burnt down house.

I got rid of my complete Cyrus system several years ago due to terrible workmanship and poor quality control. An inability to match casework colours (how many Quartz silver variants are there!!!?), LED mismatch issues (how many different greens are there???!), three failed pairs of Mono X300's (yes folks, three!!!), one failed DACXP, one failed CDXTSE2 transport, and a small "PSX-R front room barbecue event" was enough for me. Shoddy as hell. Wouldn't touch 'em again.

Floydian

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I run a DAC XP Signature and it runs fairly warm but has never smelt of burning. If you're getting a burning smell I would suggest contacting your HiFi dealer or speaking to Cyrus direct.

Best of luck!!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:

I would definitely get this checked out as your Cyrus warranty will probably not cover a burnt down house.

I got rid of my complete Cyrus system several years ago due to terrible workmanship and poor quality control. An inability to match casework colours (how many Quartz silver variants are there!!!?), LED mismatch issues (how many different greens are there???!), three failed pairs of Mono X300's (yes folks, three!!!), one failed DACXP, one failed CDXTSE2 transport, and a small "PSX-R front room barbecue event" was enough for me. Shoddy as hell. Wouldn't touch 'em again.

All positive then, glad to hear it :)

I on the other hand had never a problem with cyrus.

Recommend it.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Gazzip said:

All positive then, glad to hear it :)

I on the other hand had never a problem with cyrus.

Recommend it.

I am sure that many more Cyrus customers have a positive experience than a negative experience. If they didn't then Cyrus would be out of business. I also think their kit sounds pretty wonderful when it works. However let's not pretend that their equipment doesn't have a universal reputation for being not only British engineered but unfortunately also being "British Made".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts