cyrus cdi

ivang666

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
im considering upgrading my arcam cd 17,and was wanting to know if anyone has an opinion on this player,was also looking at the cyrus 8 cd se2,but believe the cdi is an improvement over this model,also should i use my own arcam dac with the cdi or rely on the 32 bit dac within the cyrus?.all help would be appreciated.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
There is no point in buying such an expensive CD player and bypassing its DAC - particulary as Cyrus offer pure transports for less money.

trebor

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I have tried the CDi and can confirm that it is a huge improvement over the CD8SE2. Sound is fatter, stronger bass, gorgeous tonality. I just loved the sound.

Having said that, I had to return my unit due to the age old 'Disc Error' problem when trying to load a disc, that my old CD8SE2 suffered from. I thought that Cyrus had sorted this issue but it seems not. Also, strangely, it was leaving huge gaps between tracks on a couple of cd's in my collection, I'm talking minutes! I returned the player and swapped it for the Naim CD5si. Similar sound signature and so far no loading/playing issues!

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
trebor said:
I have tried the CDi and can confirm that it is a huge improvement over the CD8SE2. Sound is fatter, stronger bass, gorgeous tonality. I just loved the sound.

Having said that, I had to return my unit due to the age old 'Disc Error' problem when trying to load a disc, that my old CD8SE2 suffered from. I thought that Cyrus had sorted this issue but it seems not. Also, strangely, it was leaving huge gaps between tracks on a couple of cd's in my collection, I'm talking minutes! I returned the player and swapped it for the Naim CD5si. Similar sound signature and so far no loading/playing issues!

how do you find naim's soundstage and tonality sompared to cyrus?

trebor

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I found the soundstage and tonality on the Naim very close to the Cyrus. Hard to tell between the two really. Maybe the CDi's soundstage is slightly wider, but there really is not much in it. Loading is quieter and quicker on the Naim. Can't believe how noisy the CDi is when loading a disc.

Turns out that the huge gaps between the tracks were musical interludes which the CDi wouldn't play, just silence. On the Naim player the interludes were audible! Cyrus looking into this at the time of writing.

TRENDING THREADS