cyrus cd xt se and CA DACmagic

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
timwileman:A mate is wondering if this combo would sound good?

Er, yes! The transport is obviously a top one and the DM is excellent. This would work out to be a very compact and well priced combo. However, if the owner is not going to use the DAC with other options, he would be better off selling the transport and buying a very good cd player. Actually, thinking about it, he could sell the transport, not buy the DAC Magic and get the CA 840C which has digital inputs too.

A

Anonymous

Having heard the 840 and the DM, I can say the 840 is quite nicely ahead of it, and will also be better than the proposed combo despite being cheaper.

A CD XT SE with a DM isn't VFM IMO.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
i dont do CDs, so forgive my presumptious intervention.

But isnt the cyrus cd xt se, like, £800? And, therefore, if it can be improved by the £200 DM, is this a sign of how great the DM is, or of how poor the Cyrus is...?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
al7478:i dont do CDs, so forgive my presumptious intervention.

But isnt the cyrus cd xt se, like, £800? And, therefore, if it can be improved by the £200 DM, is this a sign of how great the DM is, or of how poor the Cyrus is...?

You won't get any sound out of the CD XT SE on its own, so anything will improve it!

A

Anonymous

Hello, Tim's mate here!

I see Tim has been telling you all about me so I thought I'd put this combination into context and explain why I'm going this way.

Firstly I've had to sell my Quadraspire racks and house most of the hifi into a big oak cupboard. Unfortunately my much loved Rega Jupiter/Io (because at least its smooth) doesn't fit so it's been sold on and I now need a new CD player that will fit in the cupboard. Almost all full width units will not fit so I of course looked to Cyrus. Now I've read the reviews and figured a CD8SE would be good enough for the time being. Bear in mind I'm a seriously obsessed valves and vinyl nut and find most CD players don't really do it for me.

My valves and vinyl setup sets a certain kind of standard for me and the only CD systems I've heard that would suit me long term are from DCS, Nagra, Accuphase and Chord. Sadly I can't afford any of them. Only the Chord is likely to be doable (used) soon so I figured when the time comes I'd regret not buying the transport only Cyrus CD XTSE... then I saw one ex dem for £599 and thought "I know, get the best transport I can afford now, get a cheap DAC in the meantime (and I hear the DM is no slouch anyway) and when I can afford the Chord I'll have made all the right decisions" and I just might end up with a CD system that I might be happy with long term.

My SB3 also gets an upgrade to boot and the DM can be retired to the computer/itunes duties when the time comes. There'll also be something the Chord has to best in my system when the time comes too. It might just keep a DAC 64 honest.

It isn't lost on me that £800 would have bought a marginally better CD player but as CD at this price point is much of a muchness anyway you can't blame me for playing the long game.

Secretly, I reckon it will be dead good too. Plans a killer one then.

Cheers

John Duncan

Sounds like a plan, but do you actually need a CD player when you have an SB3?

800 quid would buy quite a better DAC than the DACMagic which you could plug it into, and music served up from the hard drive would be pretty much indistinguishable from the XT transport, IMO.........

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
tims_mate:
Hello, Tim's mate here!

I see Tim has been telling you all about me so I thought I'd put this combination into context and explain why I'm going this way.

Firstly I've had to sell my Quadraspire racks and house most of the hifi into a big oak cupboard. Unfortunately my much loved Rega Jupiter/Io (because at least its smooth) doesn't fit so it's been sold on and I now need a new CD player that will fit in the cupboard. Almost all full width units will not fit so I of course looked to Cyrus. Now I've read the reviews and figured a CD8SE would be good enough for the time being. Bear in mind I'm a seriously obsessed valves and vinyl nut and find most CD players don't really do it for me.

My valves and vinyl setup sets a certain kind of standard for me and the only CD systems I've heard that would suit me long term are from DCS, Nagra, Accuphase and Chord. Sadly I can't afford any of them. Only the Chord is likely to be doable (used) soon so I figured when the time comes I'd regret not buying the transport only Cyrus CD XTSE... then I saw one ex dem for £599 and thought "I know, get the best transport I can afford now, get a cheap DAC in the meantime (and I hear the DM is no slouch anyway) and when I can afford the Chord I'll have made all the right decisions" and I just might end up with a CD system that I might be happy with long term.

My SB3 also gets an upgrade to boot and the DM can be retired to the computer/itunes duties when the time comes. There'll also be something the Chord has to best in my system when the time comes too. It might just keep a DAC 64 honest.

It isn't lost on me that £800 would have bought a marginally better CD player but as CD at this price point is much of a muchness anyway you can't blame me for playing the long game.

Secretly, I reckon it will be dead good too. Plans a killer one then.

Cheers

Sounds like a great plan. I will one day buy a Chord 64 or similar. The DM is really good - forget it's price tag and you will be amazed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts