Cyrus CD players 6se v 8se

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Recently bought a 6VS2 amp and want a new CDP to partner it.

There are some good deals on 6se and 8se players and wondered if the later was worth £2-300 more?

Would this upgrade be noticeable into the 6vs2?

Please help.

A

Anonymous

Depends how you value your sound. To my ears It is easily worth the extra but only if you're thinking of significanlty upgrading your amp further along the line.

A

Anonymous

My other option would be to buy a DAC X and an airport extreme - how does this compare to a CD 8SE do you know?

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i'd personnaly go for either the cd6se or a second hand cd8x then add a 6 power to your amp with your savings, that is if your speakers can be bi-amped

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
In my opinion source is the most important when considering a medium level system. Get the 8SE (last years are cheaper).

It will squeeze every drop out of your amp and speakers, and you could add a PSX-R later should you get the upgrade bug.

It will then be a seriously high performance source, able to hold its own in a a very expensive system, should you win the lottery!

A

Anonymous

jockey.wilson:In my opinion source is the most important when considering a medium level system.

Agreed, get a last year's model 8SE for a good price.

A

Anonymous

.............and have endless loading & reading probs. You would be better off getting a 2nd hand DAC-X for less money and hooking it into an Airport Express like you asked about it in your earlier post but that is whole different issue. If you want to buy an 8se, buy a new one after they've been out a while and been proven to be rid of their problems but I still think it will be a long time before you'll hear anything like the best from it. Your amp will need to upped at least 3 levels to get anywhere near what the 8se is capable of. The 6se would be far better suited and put the change towards better amplification.

A

Anonymous

Very occasional?? I'm not so sure about that, do a search on the Cyrus Unofficial forum. I'm not a Cyrus Basher, I love it and have it myself. As for "tweaked reading mechanism", it actually feathres a new fascia with a different shaped loading slot, an admittance that the previous one was a failure. Fantastic sounding CD players, Sub-Standard reliability. If you are spending an RRP of £1300, do you think it should be prone to reading errors? occasional or not.

My point is, why not have the sound, without the reliability issues? The Dac-x / Streaming solution is a good one, if that's the direction the OP wants to head

A

Anonymous

How does the DAC X with a digital source compare to a CD6se/CD8se?

A

Anonymous

1978, Agreed. It is rubbing salt in the wound if you ask me. The upgrade cost to essentially give you the same CD player, albeit one that works as it should!!

BH The DAC-X will sound better, hence why I made that choice myself. Paired with the CDXTSE it was Cyrus' flagship CDP, It costs a grand more after all. You can read the review on this site.

I do not agree with those that say transports make no difference to the sound, they can. I don't believe however that there are many transports around that are better than streaming lossless data from a hard drive. Certainly not cost-effectively anyway I have heard the comparisons myself.

You could get a 2nd hand or reprocessed DAC-X for £600 plus an Airport Express for £60. Assuming you already have a PC or Mac with a spare disk space, it's a no brainer.

A

Anonymous

my old CDP has died - could you use a DAC-X with a digital output from say a PS3 and still get reasonable results?

I can get a new DAC X for the same price as the CD6se and £200 cheaper than a CD8se.

Would a DAC X be well matched if I upgraded to an 8XP amp?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I haven't heard a PS3 connected to a DAC for the purpose of playing CD's but I have owned one and know that the fan is very noisy! probably not a good idea.

I think only you can decide which way you want to go but if you are not nostalgically attached to those little silver discs and are looking to the future, I can't see any benefit of buying a CD player with a history of unreliability. Especially if you already own a PC or Mac.

colinm3333

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I just bought last years 8se and touch wood its playing all my cd's fine.I auditioned the 6se and would have bought it until I compared the 8se against it and made my mind up instantly that it was far superior.I bought online and found one for 800 quid.What I will say though is it sounds sh** to start with and takes a bit of running in.I'm far happier now.I don't know if my ears are just getting used to the brighter sound compared to my old Marantz Ki 63 or i've just tweaked my kit and speakers the right way.I would agree you need the right kit to partner the 8se and I'm not sure if I have as I didn't have time to lug around my gear to audition.If you dont get a chance to compare 6se sounds great but if you do 8se is far better.

Old Audiolab 8000a/8000 power,Monitor Audio Gold Speakers, anyone recommend an upgrade? ditch the 8000 power for Psx ?

A

Anonymous

shevchunko:.............and have endless loading & reading probs.

Not necessarily. I don't.

A

Anonymous

Graham_Thomas:shevchunko:.............and have endless loading & reading probs. Not necessarily. I don't.

Not necessarily no, but it is a very good possibility. My opinion is that equal or better sound can be had for similar money while not putting yourself at risk of suffering with a product that notoriosly suffers from loading / reading issues. I'm not saying he should do this, or should do that but he should definitely be aware that there is a risk attached to buying the older version of the se players. I think that's a valid opinion that is worthy of the OP's consideration before buying.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts