Cyrus 8xpd qx overheating

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I have a 8XPD QX Amp that for the most part I am very happy with, however it keeps shutting down in protected mode. The amp runs with a PSXr and powers a pair of Mission 752F floorstanding speakers. On a Saturday night my amp runs for several hours and gets played fairly loud but nothing extreme. Eventually the amp cuts out as if it has overheated. The amp has plenty of ventilation so heat should not really be a problem. I took the amp back to Glasgow Audio where I bought it and they ran it for a couple of days with no issues. My speakers are a number of years old but are in very good condition but could there be something in them that is causing the amp to shut down? I am using Mission Quartet speaker cable at the moment because the guys at Glasgow Audio advised me to change the silver screen cable that I was using. Is there something wrong with my amp or am I pushing it too hard or do you think it could be the speakers and not the amp at all? I love my amp but this is driving me mad. Please help

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Your cable isn't an issue, but something different will benefit your system.

When they ran it at the store, they may not have ran it as loud as you did, so may not have run across the issue. The 8xp can get quite warm, but if it's cutting out, you're asking too much of it. I wouldn't say the 752's are particularly hard to drive, but they probably dip to 4ohms in the bass region which can be an issue for some amps at higher volumes. If you want to keep your amp, you're going to have to add something like an X Power to it, or you could change for a PreXpd and X Power, which would be my preference. If you want to keep it one box, you'll need to look at anoypther manufacturer.

A

Anonymous

David, thanks for your reply. I don't really have much cash at the moment but what would you suggest? Are their speakers that the amp would happily drive at high volumes or do I really need a power amp? The Cyrus 3 that I traded in for my 8 would run all day long and never packed in once. Cyrus have offered to look at the amp and psx to see if their is a problem. My wife listens to music with me on the occasions when the amp overloads and even she doesn't think it's that loud.If this is the amp running normally then I think thats a pretty poor effort from an £1800 amp.

TRENDING THREADS