cyrus 6s - any good?

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
still pondering on purchasing a new cd player to compliment my amp and speakers and have come across the cyrus 6s for £400

Had a chat with a guy at Sevenoaks who offered other options including the SE model.

I'll go in and give them a demo, but basically is the 6S any good and are there other options that I should consider.

Also any suggestions on interconnects to connect to my Arcam Delta amp

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO the Cyrus 6 would be over kill for your Arcam amp plus the Cyrus is fairly bright sounding

There are a few good examples of the Arcam Alpha 9 CDP on eBay currently; you could save a fair few bob and go buy one of them. Brilliant CDP and would marry well with your Arcam amp

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to audition the Cyrus 6 next week, both with my DAC (as suggested by my dealer) and stand alone. £400 seems a good price for new. May even consider the Cyrus 6SE (which was offered as a home loan - but i'm sure that if I took that home to audition, I'd want to keep it!). Was also told to consider the Arcam FMJ CD17 by another dealer, but not that sure - this was not discounted and was £500.

Ordered some carnival silverscreen, dealer recommended not to waste my cash on bi-wiring. Will give it a try

happy times ahead

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Have you thought about using your budget to upgrade your amp first and leave the CDP until another time (or do both at the same time if thats possible).

IMO id say your weak link in your system currently would be the Delta amp

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
d_a_n1979, thanks for the advice, but for now I'd like to leave the amp at the moment and stick with a Cd upgrade as I feel I'd gain the most from this.

The system is bubble wrapped at the moment but will hopefully be set up this weekend, and for the first time in it's life I'll have it set up in an ideal 16 x 16 ft room, not too cluttered with furniture and carpeted!

In addition to looking at What Hifi winners and star rated products, any suggestions on a CD player that would suit my Arcam Delta 90 and Mission 751's. It's a while since I've used them and what I can remember of the sound below, was that it was not particularly bright. Any suggestions on something to match. Musical tastes include Genesis/Floyd/Guitar music, and the wife's includes the usual take that, Abba, etc!

T

the record spot

Careful that you don't end up with something too bright as a source. The 751s are brilliant speakers but that metal tweeter isn't shy and retiring. The Arcam amp's warmth will balance things out a bit. Had the Missions about 15 years ago and they were stunningly good.

Have you considered - here I go again...! - the used market? Have a look around and see what your £400 will get you for a source or amp. You could be into some very interesting gear for that money and you'll get more for it too.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
No worries :)

IMO you'd be best sticking with a decent Arcam CDP and aiming for either an Arcam Alpha 9 CDP, and Arcam DiVA CD72/CD73 or, if you can find one at a decent price, an Arcam CD92 or CD192 :)

I still feel that the Cyrus wouldnt suit your system; it can be a bit bright at times.

You could also consider the Rega Apollo. There's on one eBay currently with a Buy it Now price of £450 but it has the open auction as well

That would be a superb buy and then you could look to upgrade your system around that (or any of the above mentiond CDPs) when youve the time and budget!

Messiah

Personally I think it would be a nice match. I have owned every speaker in the Mission 75 range and I believe that a CD player like the Cyrus (I have one now by the way with Monitor Audio RS1's no less - which are generally considered a bad match although I disagree) will be a good match as I personally found those speakers in need of a kick up the butt in the higher frequencies!!

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
thanks for the good advice people. I think part of my reasoning on thinking on a higher end player is that there will be then room for an amp & speaker upgrade in the future (maybe distant future with finances at the moment though!). This will be my last precredit crunch major purchase (so it needs to be a good one!

A

Anonymous

Pete Shields:
This will be my last precredit crunch major purchase (so it needs to be a good one!)

it's the 6SE then!

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
the real dilema I have still have is the Cyrus 6s is £400, whilst the 6se is £800.

I know there is a law of diminishing returns on quality vs cost with hifi, but were talking serious dosh here!

Is the 6s any good, or am I best to go for the newer model?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Pete Shields:
The system is bubble wrapped at the moment but will hopefully be set up this weekend, and for the first time in it's life I'll have it set up in an ideal 16 x 16 ft room, not too cluttered with furniture and carpeted!

not wanting to throw a spanner in the works but I always thought square rooms were "a bad thing (tm)" for audio, because of the issues with standing waves?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd stick with going for the Cyrus6 TBH as i dont rerally think you'll notice that much difference between the 2.

In any case; they can always upgrade it for you at a later date!

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
I picked up the Cyrus 6 on Thursday. Today I brought the rest of my hifi out of storage. Wired up with new chord speaker cable and bought a pair of Soundstyle Z1 stands. All installed but it's way too late to crank it up!

Had a quick play with headphones and the difference in detail on the Cyrus from my old dac/cd transport is absolutely stunning.

I got 6s to try as a home loaner, and it will most definitely not be going back to practical HIFI in Manchester! It's on the rack and staying...

Only point with my system now is that I am using a 12 year old interconnect between the Delta 90 amp and the Cyrus 6.

It's a audioquest quartz3 -Hyperlitz - triple balanced PPC copper, 1m long audio analog interconnect.

Is it up to the job?

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Tried the Cyrus 6s this morning through my speakers with a little more volume than at 2am!

Wow. Even the wife is convinced that it sounds fantastic. She told me to take a day off work to listen alone without her and the kids!

Great Result

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Clare

The dealer was very good. Well done to Martin at Practical HIFI in Manchester for his help.

I haven't seen any reviews of the Cyrus interconnects before. I'd expect Cyrus kit to be good, but what are they like/how much do they cost and most importantly, will they work well with my Arcam Delta 90 amp?

What about the Atlas Equator (no one seems to stock this in my locale - like most decent kit!) or the chord Cobra.

How should these all compare to my 12 year old audioquests?

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Anybody got any recommendations on interconnects and how much I should spend on them, between my Cyrus 6s and Arcam Delta90 amp?

Currently have audioquest quartz3 -Hyperlitz - triple balanced PPC copper, 1m long audio analog interconnects which I feel are doing a good job but are 12 years old. I have nothing newer to compare them to. Anybody had any experience with upgrading cables from old models and will the upgrade be of any benefit?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts