Cyrus 6a and Dynaudio DM 2/6

PhilRis

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm Looking for a decent set of speakers which work well with my Cyrus 6A Dac, especially in terms of bass and warmth. I'm thinking about a set of Dynaudio DM 2/6. I play a lot of vinyl which includes rock and blues music. Advice and thoughts would be much appreciated, I'm finding it really difficult to choose the right speakers. Thanks!!!

From personal experience I don't think there's a lot between different speakers within a similar price bracket. Of course there are tonal shifts, and for that alone, I would avoid hard domed or ribbon tweeters with Cyrus.

I'd be looking at, in addition to the Dyns, PMC, Q Acoustics...

However, the best match will be judged by you, so a dem will be essential.

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
A demo is absolutely essential. I have the 6a myself, and demo'd the Concept 20s against the CM1s. Back when I was working in that shop, I really rayed the Concept 20s with a wide range of amplifiers, but they sounded really dead in comparison to the CM1s. And not in a '£150 difference dead' way- really, really dead. Double checked connections and tried another pair.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Last year I was using a Cyrus X Power (now in storage) and demoed the PMC twenty.21s against the Sonus faber Venere 1.5s. I found the SFs really compelling and bought them. Worth a try if you have access to them.

:cheers:

Matt

matthewpiano

The greatest qualities of the Dyns are superb integration across the frequency range, natural timbral portrayal of instruments and voices, and a wonderfully controlled but open treble which never strays into harshness. Their bass is of the tight and tuneful variety rather than the big and earth-shaking so don't buy them if you want a big bassy sort of sound.

They should pair very well with the Cyrus, but an audition is the only way to find out.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
+1 for Mathew's comments.

IMHO, the Dyns are superb value. You are paying for the drivers, not cosmetics, although very solid cabinets. Mine replaced B&W602SEs which were prone to bass boom and overhang in a tricky room. They need 100+ hours to give their best, so make sure you audition a well run-in pair. Kick drums are distinct from bass guitar lines, as opposed to the Concept 20s that I tried in my system. I am a B&W fan, so I'm sure that the CM1s are also worth an audition, but are due to be replaced/upgraded in the next few months.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmmm... dynaudio 2/6 - 86db sensitivity , 150watt handling into 8ohm being driven by a 40watt p/c amp will not give you the sound you are after.

I don't question the quality of your amp but while they'll drive those speakers, doubt they'll shift the cones to make the most of these speakers.

You should consider auditioning more sensitive speakers with lower power requirements if 'warm' is what you're looking for with the Cyrus.

try auditioning a pair of tannoy DC4's - 89d/b 100watt into 6ohm or along that range.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
MP has the Dynaudio speakers running through a 45w budget amp. I'm sure the Cyrus is up to the job. Depends on the volume you listen at. Might be worth considering Dali Ikon speakers. Even the larger DM 2/7 as you like blues/rock. Can you audition? Don't forget to get some stands if you don't have any already.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Blackdawn said:
MP has the Dynaudio speakers running through a 45w budget amp. I'm sure the Cyrus is up to the job. Depends on the volume you listen at. Might be worth considering Dali Ikon speakers. Even the larger DM 2/7 as you like blues/rock. Can you audition? Don't forget to get some stands if you don't have any already.

I agree, but 'depending on the volume you listen at' is a ristriction no one needs before they have even purchased their kit.

I suggest a more sensitive less power demanding speaker for this amp.

after hearing a 60wpc amp distorting after 9'oclock driving a pair of 89d/b - 200watt into 6ohm speaker (played reasonably well at lower volumes but lacked timbre in the midrange) I'd not recommend demanding speakers for a low powered amp to anyone.

PhilRis

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all, very helpful comments. Reality is, I do live in a block of flats and can't turn the volume up so much, I also want to be able to listen to it quietly and still get the warmth. I am concerned about the lack of power from my amp, what do you think about kef r 100? Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts