Cut in speaker cable...

siderealxxx

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I just laid a new Chord speaker cable to run under our new carpet via a plastic tube to protect it. The problem is, in cutting the tube I accidently spliced slightly into the speaker cable :-/ its very small but I can see a tiny bit of copper. I don't have enough to pull more through now so have to live with it or replace it! Is this a problem? Thanks

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I don't think it's a major problem if you've just cut through the sleeve and exposed the copper. If you've cut all the way through the copper you'll get no sound, but if you've just cut a couple of the strands, again, you'll not have a problem. It might be worth wrapping a little electrical tape around the cut though.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
It will always bother you knowing that the cable is not 100% perfect and you will get a stiff neck as you will be tilting both ears into the direction of 1 speaker

you will be listening to the system instead of the music ...

so get it replaced

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry its not a problem, I'm with those three! If you are worried and have a glue gun or areldite just smear some around the wound, replaceing the dielectric you just cut into.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

dim_span said:
It will always bother you knowing that the cable is not 100% perfect and you will get a stiff neck as you will be tilting both ears into the direction of 1 speaker

so get it replaced

OCD alert!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
dim_span said:

so get it replaced

OCD alert!

I must admit that once when I stripped the ends of some speaker cables a couple of years ago on one of them I accidently cut a bit deep and cut into a few strand of the copper. Logically I knew it would make ****** all difference as only about 1% of the copper strands were lost so I left it as it was but it did bug me a bit for the next two years just because I knew they were missing. *wacko*

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
dim_span said:

so get it replaced

OCD alert!

I must admit that once when I stripped the ends of some speaker cables a couple of years ago on one of them I accidently cut a bit deep and cut into a few strand of the copper. Logically I knew it would make ****** all difference as only about 1% of the copper strands were lost so I left it as it was but it did bug me a bit for the next two years just because I knew they were missing. *wacko*

it's already bothering the guy .... that's why he posted this thread .... *biggrin*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

So more expensive cables don't make a noticeable difference, but 2 missing strands might..you need professional help, Sir! *blum3*

siderealxxx

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Quite amusing answers! I'm pretty sure I didnt cut any copper, just the plastic shield. It is annoying at £8 per metre but *hopefully* I can live with it. your answers are reassuring but it will bug me for a while!

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
siderealxxx said:
Quite amusing answers! I'm pretty sure I didnt cut any copper, just the plastic shield. It is annoying at £8 per metre but *hopefully* I can live with it. your answers are reassuring but it will bug me for a while!

2 months later .......

stock-footage-young-man-squinting-his-eyes.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:

So more expensive cables don't make a noticeable difference, but 2 missing strands might..you need professional help, Sir! *blum3*
Totally brilliant, the post of the year! (Thought?) May bee we should do our own forum Awards 2015. I nominate myself for the most abismaul spelling in posts! Feel free to add amuzing catorgaries, I think i ought to start a new thread!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
siderealxxx said:

Just put some tape around it for insulation and it'll be fine. *ok*

Just try not to keep thinking about it afterwards... *diablo*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:

Totally brilliant, the post of the year! (Thought?) May bee we should do our own forum Awards 2015. I nominate myself for the most abismaul spelling in posts! Feel free to add amuzing catorgaries, I think i ought to start a new thread!

Worryingly I can't see any spelling mistakes in either of those posts. But I'm dislexic and when I re-read them again in ten minutes time I'll probably spot several.

EDIT - I've just re-read your post and realised that wasn't what you said. :) I nominate myself for the 'not bothering to read other peoples posts properly before replying' award. *good*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:

I know that a couple of missing strands will make no difference. That didn't stop me from thinking about it occasionally.

It's a bit like if I put a sticker on the back of one of my speakers. I know that it wouldn't make any difference to the sound but it'd bug me that there wasn't a matching sticker on the other speaker even though I couldn't see it around the back... *crazy*

A

Anderson

You could strip all the insulation off the speaker cables, that way you wouldn't see were you cut by accident.

*wouldn't see where

siderealxxx

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Anderson said:
You could strip all the insulation off the speaker cables, that way you wouldn't see were you cut by accident.

*wouldn't see where

Thats a much better idea! Or aren't lemons conductive? I could replace that section with a lemon.

siderealxxx

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
You must replace it at once!

I'll be losing sleep lying awake at night worrying about it if you don't. *help*

I'm already losing sleep after my dodgy bathroom installers, so you'd be really helping out taking this on. Frankly Its the least you can do... unless you're also a plumber?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
siderealxxx said:
steve_1979 said:
You must replace it at once!

I'll be losing sleep lying awake at night worrying about it if you don't. *help*

I'm already losing sleep after my dodgy bathroom installers, so you'd be really helping out taking this on. Frankly Its the least you can do... unless you're also a plumber?

If both the hot and cold pipes are leaking at the same rate that's fine but if one pipe leaks more than the other then we may have a problem.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
dim_span said:

so get it replaced

Utterly horrible advice, simply perpetuating the myth it makes a difference.

Tape it.

Stop thinking branded cable will sound ANY different...as it won't. Relax...Listen.

End of.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts