Creek house-sound

NHL said:
Considering

http://www.whathifi.com/news/high-end-2012-creek-adds-innovative-evolution-50-amp-and-cd-player-to-line-up

What is the Creek house sound? Stereophile seems to rate Creek highly but some British magazines are less inclined. Is it Cyrus detailed or Naim 2D or Audiolab clinical or what else? (not expecting 'what else' as the answer)

Cheers!

Having only heard the Evo2 amp, the Creek sound is immensely pleasant. It is a very punchy and nicely detailed amp. In terms of imaging it can be matched or bettered by the likes of Arcam, and the Creek doesn't have the deepest bass.

In tonal presentation it's more akin to Arcam, Roksan Kandy... it's quite neutral, smooth and informative. I would guess with the wrong speakers/source it could lack a little sparkle. My dem version was played thru the RS6s and it sounded fun. Probably not the right amp for those who scrutinise every track.

Fabulous amp...

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Nice CNo & Penguin, I'm also considering the new MF shoebox amp, M1, or Cyrus 6. Have not seen any MF review yet, though.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Yes, definitely, they have NOS DACs. Peachtree is another make which the British mags do not really embrace.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I get the feeling that it varies with type of product and price. For example, the Destiny 2 amplifier was very well-liked by one reviewer ('a fantastic amplifier') and less so by others. I borrowed one and was impressed but not moved, and ultimately didn't think it had enough grunt. The Evolution amps (previous range) are supposed to be more Naim-like.

The little headphone amp OBH-11 is very detailed and fantastic value for money though not nearly as refined as a Naim Headline for example. At the top end, the Wyndsor phono stage has hardly been heard by anyone except the HFChoice reviewer, a German reviewer who rated it with Linn's Urika, and myself, as I own one; it's stunningly detailed and very pacey and colourful without being coloured.

Going back to the 1980s, I wasn't so keen on the 4040 range of amps and tuners.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
In there site they say that is 550£ and not 500£... |(

http://creekaudio.com/news.php#73

More 50£, IMO a bit far of the 480£ for the Rega Brio R that still is my favorit budget amp and less 70£... :dance:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts