• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Creek 50a + Epos Elan 10/15 combination. How is it?

Happy_Listner

New member
Jan 27, 2013
23
0
0
Anyone hear this combination before? Creek 50A integrated amp. with Epos Elan 10 or Elan 15 speakers?

How did it sound to you? Anthing better out there for the same price?
 

csq2

New member
Mar 28, 2010
24
0
0
Haven't heard this combo before, but usually Creek and Epos are paired together at audio shows. The Creek 50A is best amp you can buy at that price range, but bass can sound slow and soft due to its modest power output. It has enough power to drive bookshelfs but can be tricky to drive larger speakers. Don't worry as the Creek has preouts for a subwoofer. I would get a REL T-5 sub with the Epos as it is one of the most musical subs I've listened too.
 

Al ears

Moderator
Not too sure where the post above is going as most bookshelf speakers are less efficient than foorstanders.

'bass can sound slow and soft due to its modest power output' - I am not too sure what is meant by this as quality of bass has nothing to do with power output.

I have also not heard the Creek with Epos 10 / 15s but imagine it should be just fine (they are very efficient), it will all depend on whether or not the speakers suit your room / listening tastes.

Get the right speaker for your room and the Creek will quite happily drive it. Personally I would forget subwoofers unless you really know what you are doing as they can often be difficult to integrate thus reducing overall SQ.

How big is your listening area?
 

matthewpiano

Well-known member
Nov 23, 2007
493
325
19,270
Creek and Epos are effectively the same company and their products are developed alongside each other so, as long as you agree with Michael Creek's idea of what good sound is, then it should be a good pairing. In my experience of listening to Creek and Epos kit, he knows what he is doing.

However, nothing beats a personal audition so that you can hear for yourself.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
1
0
csq2 said:
Haven't heard this combo before, but usually Creek and Epos are paired together at audio shows. The Creek 50A is best amp you can buy at that price range, but bass can sound slow and soft due to its modest power output. It has enough power to drive bookshelfs but can be tricky to drive larger speakers. Don't worry as the Creek has preouts for a subwoofer. I would get a REL T-5 sub with the Epos as it is one of the most musical subs I've listened too.
I don't agree, I heard the Creek 50A with 2 Epos speakers the M5i and the FS Epic 5s. For me the Epic 5s had too much bass and that was in a large room, double bass was boomy and overwhealing. The M5i s were better but abit lightweight.

The main issue I had with the Epos wasa the treble was too forward for my taste esp. on jazz, I found it irritating. Yes the 50A is a fine amp. the best I heard in my demos. I would probably have bought one If I had not gone down the AVI route.

Also the comment about larger speakers is all wrong.
 

csq2

New member
Mar 28, 2010
24
0
0
BigH said:
I don't agree, I heard the Creek 50A with 2 Epos speakers the M5i and the FS Epic 5s. For me the Epic 5s had too much bass and that was in a large room, double bass was boomy and overwhealing. The M5i s were better but abit lightweight.

The main issue I had with the Epos wasa the treble was too forward for my taste esp. on jazz, I found it irritating. Yes the 50A is a fine amp. the best I heard in my demos. I would probably have bought one If I had not gone down the AVI route.

Also the comment about larger speakers is all wrong.
It is because the 50A is rated at 50W/ch and can't control the bass on floorstanders properly. It will work better with the Epos Elan 10/15 bookshelf speakers, which I've been refering to. 89db sensitivity is pretty good and will work alright with modest power. I've never been satisfied with the bass on most floorstanders, so subwoofer is the best option if you listen to uptempo music.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
1
0
Happy_Listner said:
Anyone hear this combination before? Creek 50A integrated amp. with Epos Elan 10 or Elan 15 speakers?

How did it sound to you? Anthing better out there for the same price?
Well the Epos are worth trying, I would also consider Kef R100s and maybe AE 301. From my experience I think u should hear quite a few different speakers, if you can, problem is Creek have very few dealers.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
1
0
csq2 said:
BigH said:
I don't agree, I heard the Creek 50A with 2 Epos speakers the M5i and the FS Epic 5s. For me the Epic 5s had too much bass and that was in a large room, double bass was boomy and overwhealing. The M5i s were better but abit lightweight.

The main issue I had with the Epos wasa the treble was too forward for my taste esp. on jazz, I found it irritating. Yes the 50A is a fine amp. the best I heard in my demos. I would probably have bought one If I had not gone down the AVI route.

Also the comment about larger speakers is all wrong.
It is because the 50A is rated at 50W/ch and can't control the bass on floorstanders properly. It will work better with the Epos Elan 10/15 bookshelf speakers, which I've been refering to. 89db sensitivity is pretty good and will work alright with modest power. I've never been satisfied with the bass on most floorstanders, so subwoofer is the best option if you listen to uptempo music.
Well I still don't agree so the RK K2 would be better because its has more power, in fact I thought it was worse.
 

kemills1

New member
Nov 19, 2013
2
0
0
I've had a Creek 50A for about 2 months now and comparing it to my Musical Fidelity Trivista amp, I can say there is no lack of control of the bass (at sensible volumes) even when driving a pair of Dynaudio Contour 3 floor standers. The creek certainly doesn't have the grip and out right power when the wick is turned up but at lower volumes and when driving a pair of PMC 21's it has more punch in the bass than the MF amp. Where it really seems to beat the MF amp is in transparency. You can hear further into the sound stage with the Creek with better clarity.

I really wanted a pair of Elan 15's to go with the Creek but couldn't find a pair for a demo so I ended up with the PMC 21's which are good, but not the best match for the Creek amp.
 

kemills1

New member
Nov 19, 2013
2
0
0
I've had a Creek 50A for about 2 months now and comparing it to my Musical Fidelity Trivista amp, I can say there is no lack of control of the bass (at sensible volumes) even when driving a pair of Dynaudio Contour 3 floor standers. The creek certainly doesn't have the grip and out right power when the wick is turned up but at lower volumes and when driving a pair of PMC 21's it has more punch in the bass than the MF amp. Where it really seems to beat the MF amp is in transparency. You can hear further into the sound stage with the Creek with better clarity. As for Bass resolution and pace, the Creek is spot on. Try something like Big Sky from Kate Bush and the Creek really delivers.

I really wanted a pair of Elan 15's to go with the Creek but couldn't find a pair for a demo so I ended up with the PMC 21's which are good, but not the best match for the Creek amp.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts