Creating the best soundstage

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently home auditioned three different speakers before settling on A6s, the other two were PMC GB1s and KEF R500s. All 3 presented the music in different ways. An observation I became aware of was how the sound seemed trapped within the R500s whereas with the other two the sound stage seemed freer of the position of the speakers.

What successful tweaks have people tried that, having settled on a speaker, have improved the sound staging effect produced?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Ian64od said:
I recently home auditioned three different speakers before settling on A6s, the other two were PMC GB1s and KEF R500s. All 3 presented the music in different ways. An observation I became aware of was how the sound seemed trapped within the R500s whereas with the other two the sound stage seemed freer of the position of the speakers.

You must have been doing something very wrong with the R500s then, as the R series, along with all of KEFs UniQ equipped speakers are supposed to have a huge soundstage.

A

Anonymous

I followed all the advice I was given, outer bungs in the ports and a tilt up on the speaker too. However what I really rejected the for was because in my listening space I just couldn't get rid of the bass boom they produced on certain tracks. However, on some tracks they sounded wonderful but I could repeat this consistently.

however, I enjoy being able to do two things when I'm listening intently. One is follow a particularly instrument/musician or be able to accurately place the instrument in the sound stage. My previous speakers Dynaudio DM 2/6 were not especially good at the latter, the A6s are much better, but can I improve it further?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Those are nice speakers, saw and heard some on the end of a Denon reciever, connected to a Linn CDP....playing Willie Nelsons 'Always on my mind'....very impressive speaker, handsome too, in the flesh.

Anyway, distance apart makes the most difference I think, it does on my set up - and I have them with no toe in at all, 3dness on my set up also depends on the CDs production/engineering/quality.

poor recordings sound flat.

A

Anonymous

How far apart are yours, I can only get mine 2m apart because of proximity to a side wall/corner.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
About 2metres apart too - 220cms (just measured, about 70cms away from side wall and 80cm from back wall)

They also have inward fireing bass drivers, but if the truth be told in my set up its the amp that makes the difference. currently 'running' in a Rotel ra-1520 and I.m not getting the 3Dness of my old Yamaha

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
When I listened to both the kef r500 and the r700s they gave the most 3D image Ive ever heard the speakers just disapeared no bungs and no problem with bass boom the only reason I didn't buy the r 700 was the size she who must be obeyed could not see the tv when seated at the table

A

Anonymous

Weird isn't it how we hear different things, but the r500s just didn't work for me.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I have improved soundstage considerably by putting stacked discs of rubber under the spikes, this helped bass response as well by clearing out most of the boom.

A

Anonymous

steve_1979 said:
Sound reflections from around the room can spoil the stereo image. A bit of acoustic treatment used at the 'mirror points' can sometimes help.

what acoustic treatment do you recommend?

A

Anonymous

Hi thanks for the link. Have you made these changes in a domestic setting?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ian64od said:
Hi thanks for the link. Have you made these changes in a domestic setting?

I don't have any proper acoustic panels but I have placed various soft furnishings on the mirror points around my room.

TBH the improvements after doing this were only very slight but it did helped improve the stereo image a little bit.

A

Anonymous

AlmaataKZ said:
I find Genelec setup guides quite comprehensive and useful (see their web site).

http://www.genelec.com/learning-center/presentations-tutorials/placingloudspeakers/

http://www.genelec.com/documents/catalogues/Genelec_Monitor_Setup_Guide_2011.pdf

Hi, thanks for this. In the first link it refers to placing speakers closer to the back wall to help eliminate/reduce the reflections. It talks about distances of about 20cm. As, according to Spendor, I can place my A6s at this distance, which I had already done, I'll stop worrying about this aspect. (Unless somebody tells me I've made some terrible error)

A few more soft furnishings strategically placed is what is required.

Just a comment about my A6s as a step up from the Dynaudio DM2/6s they replaced. There are CDs that I can now listen to and enjoy because the Spendors have opened up the music making it more intelligible. Examples of this are Cornershop - 'When I was born for the 7th time' and Gorrilaz - 'Plastic beach', which previously sounded muddy and cluttered, but now I can hear so much more than before. (I have to say thanks to Dale at Fanthorpes for his patience while I made my choice and for allowing so many home auditions.)

A

Anonymous

My guess, given that the law of reflection is angle of incidence = angle of reflection that by sight you could make a reasonable stab at placing wall hangings etc in the right place.

My problem is that one of these reflective surfaces is a pair of internal French doors which I can't sensibly hang curtains in front of.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Ian64od said:
(I have to say thanks to Dale at Fanthorpes for his patience while I made my choice and for allowing so many home auditions.)

Oooh, are you from Hull? Dale is a nice guy, I think I had about half their stock in my livingroom at one point... :rockout:

A

Anonymous

I am (via Coventry) it was the love of/for a great woman that brought me here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts