Cost free upgrade

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
For the best part of two years I've been running two power amps in mono setting (Cyrus X Powers with PSX-Rs). I'd bought them all together and had never listened to just the one X-Power with PSX-R in stereo mode.

So I took one of them out a week ago and I've been listening carefully with the single power amp in stereo mode. I've needed to make a small volume increase adjustment but as yet I can't make out any reduction in SQ from when I was running in dual mono. Absolutely nothing.

It goes to show that not every supposed upgrade actually adds anything. Has anyone else ever had a revelation like this?

But then what to do with the second X Power and PSX-R?

I'd been running an Audiolab 8200A integrated in another system but I also had my old Cyrus 8XPdQX integrated sat unplugged in a corner. So I've swapped in the old Cyrus amp, passed a pre-out to the second X Power / PSX-R and I'm sat here gawping at the massive upgrade in SQ that I'd just hadn't considered was available to me.

I feel like I've got a new system just from swapping my existing kit around.

I'd even been considering whether to spend some money on a new amp!! I've just saved a fortune. Knowing what I'm like I'll find some other new kit to spend this saving on. Plus I could trade in the 8200A.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Bi-amping from the 8XPdQX and X Power to the Monitor Audio GX50?

I used to run the GX50 bi-wired from an amp before but I think that they sounded better single wired.

They were never bi-wired in my dual mono system though. That was always the PMCs.

I'll have a go when the CD I'm listening to is finished.

I'm just wondering whether there'll be a small advantage to the mid/bass driver as the power amp is being fed a crisper current from the PSX-R? I won't know till I try.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Had to mess about a bit as the speaker cables / amp placement / power lead from PSX-R were causing a logistical problem.

But I'm running bi-amp with the integrated amp / PSX-R now powering the highs and the power amp on it's own powering the mid/bass.

Initial thoughts are it sounds much the same on the mid/bass as before, but the highs are a bit crisper and sharper.

Thanks for the suggestion.

TRENDING THREADS