Correct setup of my equipment

pn82hhz

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello to all!

I have been using the following for about 4 years and have never really had an issue with them:

LG LF7700 LCD TV

Sony STR-DH800 amp

Harman Kardon HKTS 7 speaker set

SKY+HD

Old Toshiba DVD player (Scart)

I know this was entry level stuff back then and is probably way outdated now (esp TV) but it will do for now!

I have everything connected to the TV either via Scart (DVD) or HDMI (SKY) and ten pass all the audio to the amp via Optical Cable. I can therefore watch TV without the amp on but when watching movies etc can turn on the amp and power the 5.1...

IS this totally wrong? am I doing my setup injustice?

If I connect everything to my amp (except DVD), will I notice a change in audio quality?

I am planning on getting a blu ray so I think at that point I am tempted to have everything connect via the amp (no more scart) but then I will need to use the amp all the time...

I also run a pair of Mission M73 speakers in 'zone 2' for music/ipod via the dm port/dock.

Any help with this setup will help tremendously and will be appreciated!

Ta

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I would connect both the DVD player and Sky to the amplifier via Optical. You'll get 5.1 surround on the channels that it's available that way.

pn82hhz

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, this makes sense and I have done this this morning and guess what? sounds awesome!

I have even ordered some component cables to connect sky straight to tv so that you dont always have to have amp on.

But heres a thing:

The SkyHD setting for audio is on Dolby Digitial or DD,

My amp still shows Linear PCM as the source (scrolls across the amp)

If I put the amp into A.F.D mode (apparently best setting to use, only the Sub and Front L&R channels are lit up - 2.1)??

Is this correct?

pn82hhz

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Cofnchtr

I guess I will need to look out for the right channel and program at the right time and hope the scrolling text says something other than LPCM!

Anybody know which show/channel is definately 5.1?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts