Converting AAC to MP3 ?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi folks,

I've ripped 50 or so albums to my laptop for my iPod, and did so in AAC 192 as I felt that was a good quality compromise.

But... I totally forgot about the PS3, which I use for media streaming, not supporting AAC. So now I'm unable to stream any of this ripped music from the laptop to the PS3 in our living room. The PS3 is happy with MP3 though, so I guess I should have used that in the first place ?

Not being terribly clued up on the whole compressed music situation, I was wondering if it's easy, or indeed feasible, to convert what I've already ripped in AAC to MP3 ? If so, could anyone recommend a program to do the job ? Or if you have a better way altogether of achieving what I'm trying to, I'm all ears !

Thanks !

John Duncan

Google "convert aac to mp3" and take your pick of the shareware available - then over the fullness of time re-rip them, since the resulting mp3s won't be as good quality as the original AACs.

A

Anonymous

A quick way.

Open iTunes then:

1] click Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing

2] Change import using to mp3 encoder and setting to higher quality 192kbps. Then click ok

3] Click edit -> select all

4] Right click on your iTunes music library and select te option "convert to mp3".

5] When conversion ends delete all the highlighted aac songs.

John Duncan

Makes my way look pretty stupid, huh?
emotion-2.gif

One lives and learns...........

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan: Thanks for your input. I'd already googled it, but as there were rather a lot of search results, and I'm not that well informed with regard to compressed stuff, I though I'd ask around !

Ianmcg: Thaks for that, far simpler than I could have imagined. Much appreciated !
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I am also not the sharpest knife when it comes to audio compression. I converted all my albums (around 350) to AAC 4 mths ago for use with my (and wife's) ipod. I now intend to sell off my CD collection and am now halfway through converting them all to Apple Lossless. I was told this was best for archive(with hard drives being as cheap as they are now). Is this correct?. I also have a PS3. How do I use it to stream music? I had been looking at Logitech's Squeezebox Duet.

Thanks in advance

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="david1997"]
I am also not the sharpest knife when it comes to audio compression. I converted all my albums (around 350) to AAC 4 mths ago for use with my (and wife's) ipod. I now intend to sell off my CD collection and am now halfway through converting them all to Apple Lossless. I was told this was best for archive(with hard drives being as cheap as they are now). Is this correct?. I also have a PS3. How do I use it to stream music? I had been looking at Logitech's Squeezebox Duet.

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

You realise that's quite illegal, and this forum is picked up by google in about 1 nanosecond? ;)

John Duncan

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="david1997"]

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

You realise that's quite illegal, and this forum is picked up by google in about 1 nanosecond? ;)[/quote]

You realise that's illegal too, obviously?

A

Anonymous

I know is said not the sharpest knife in the box, but without trying to sound decidedly blunt, what am I doing that is illegal?

John Duncan

It's illegal to copy your CDs to your computer. Everybody does it, and you're not going to get done for it, but it's illegal nonetheless.

Whereas copying them and then selling them is illegal *and* immoral.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Ah....with you now. I meant sell my CD's after I've archived them, not sell the copies of them. Never quite understand the distinction - Apple develop Lossless for the purpose of 'illegally' archiving CD's yet do not support 'Handbrake' or similar for the 'illegal' archiving of DVD's. And if all of this is illegal then presumably music streamers get music from the HD of somebody's PC/Server which should not be there in the first place.

Which brings me to my original 'illegal' question. Is Lossless the best to archive music and how do I use my PS3 to stream music from my PC, or am I meant to 'illegally' download the music to the PS3's hard drive first? Does the Logitech Squeezebox Duet offer a viable alternative?

John Duncan

[quote user="david1997"]I meant sell my CD's after I've archived them, not sell the copies of them[/quote]

That's the bit I have an issue with - I think being able to copy one's CDs for one's own personal use is fair enough, and the law should be changed to reflect this. But to sell them, and keep the copy...........anyway, what people do in the privacy of their own home etc etc

[quote user="david1997"]Which brings me to my original 'illegal' question. Is Lossless the best to archive music and how do I use my PS3 to stream music from my PC, or am I meant to 'illegally' download the music to the PS3's hard drive first? Does the Logitech Squeezebox Duet offer a viable alternative? [/quote]

I think your PC has to be running a DNLA-compliant music server for it to work with the PS3. Firmware 1.8 for PS3 and Windows Vista works, for example - google "music server PS3" for info. And yes, lossless is best, but check which formats the ps3 supports (flac, apple lossless etc).

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]That's the bit I have an issue with - I think being able to copy one's CDs for one's own personal use is fair enough, and the law should be changed to reflect this. But to sell them, and keep the copy..........[/quote]
Have to agree with John on this one. If you're selling the original, you should remove any copies of the music you have as well.

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
does this include old fashioned casette tapes as well?........................i remember a trend of making up personal compilation tapes etc............ they even did it on the TV show Friends..............and they gave the tape away!..............finally what about recording (via tape or digital) radio.............my (now) wife and i were on heart radio just before our wedding chosing the i-play segment thing they do...............and we 'taped' it ............do we face jail...............and another thing what about quoting people words.....is that legal?...............JK Rowling has had a few issues with people over that....................its not that i disagree with John, in fact i agree!..................its just its hard to find a line here.......

John Duncan

[quote user="timwileman"]does this include old fashioned casette tapes as well?........................i remember a trend of making up personal compilation tapes etc............ they even did it on the TV show Friends..............and they gave the tape away!..............finally what about recording (via tape or digital) radio.............my (now) wife and i were on heart radio just before our wedding chosing the i-play segment thing they do...............and we 'taped' it ............do we face jail...............and another thing what about quoting people words.....is that legal?...............JK Rowling has had a few issues with people over that....................its not that i disagree with John, in fact i agree!..................its just its hard to find a line here.......[/quote]

Yeah, I don't know what the answer is - I mean I think everybody's agreed (even the record companies, as evidenced by iTunes plus) that a "fair/personal use" clause is required in the copyright law, but how that will be drawn up is anybody's guess - do we have a blank media levy to compensate? Does that apply to hard disks? Blah blah.........

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
The 'illegality' of making copies of stuff you own will be changed soon. It's pretty reasonable to assume it will never become legal to buy/rent/borrow a cd, make a copy of it, then sell it/give it back.

Not that I care or find it particularly wrong if you do...but maybe shouting it out loud here isn't wise.
Personally I love having the original, even though I now mainly use my PC or squeezebox. In fact I have never bought music only through download, and don't intend to start....just yet.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]I think your PC has to be running a DNLA-compliant music server for it to work with the PS3. Firmware 1.8 for PS3 and Windows Vista works, for example [/quote]

Thanks John. My broadbnd went down yesterday so could not get back sooner. Mezzmo looks like it would work well with my PS3 (or Xbox360) but is PC based and I tend to use my Mac for media storage. When I get around to putting in a 500gb internal drive in the PS3 in preparation for PlayTv (although I now don't know how this will work with Freesat) I may find a way to stream directly from the PS3 - just guessing.

As for the legality/morality issue - my CDs, I bought them and I will sell them so that is a non-issue although looking at the £15 plus I paid for some nearly as many years ago, then I can't remember the likes of HMV or Virgin too worried about us being ripped off while the artists still received their tiny cut. I wonder how much of the 79p download goes to Apple??

If there was a viable alternative to iPods (iRiver come close but IMHO the iPod Touch can't be ...er...touched) and Leopard then I would be first in the queue. Steve Jobs makes Bill Gates appear benign. Remember the extra £13 iPod Touch owners were asked to fork out? I pay the 79p for the odd track that I need but pay iTunes album prices - never. Morals vs morals.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts