Considering a Turntable

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering buying a turntable as I still have a few LPs, I used to have an old Technics but it packed in about 10 years ago. Came across the Project Genie MK3 Turntable Record Player Gloss Black With 2M Red Cartridge which at about £254 seems good value. Is this a good choice or is there anything better for around £250?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Make yer ruddy mind up H. We went through this a month or so back and all went quiet from your end. Then in a thread ( gawd knows which one now) you said ' vinyls not for me too many ticks n pops ' or something like that. :wall: ;).

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Rega are churning TTs out like there's no onorriw, if ya get a bad in then they will replace it - well they did my 2nds RP6 for a brand new full price one ! Can't say fairer than that!

Get a Project if ya like but for FS don't let this turn in to a Rega vs Projext fight, both excellent decks at the price point and both will get you back on the vinyl merry go round and then the fun begins

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
I'm considering buying a turntable as I still have a few LPs, I used to have an old Technics but it packed in about 10 years ago. Came across the Project Genie MK3 Turntable Record Player Gloss Black With 2M Red Cartridge which at about £254 seems good value. Is this a good choice or is there anything better for around £250?

Buy it. Good choice, good price. If you don't like it then you you won't lose much cash selling it.

[Edit] Scrub the above. Thought you meant Debut Carbon in gloss black. Sorry.

Get this one for £299 instead. (It's got a lid and is a proper turntable.)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Thats what you pointed H at last time around Chebby. If you remember the question was raised about upping the ante towards the Esprit as his budget was more back then. Yeah seconded ,go for the Carbon that will be a fine choice.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I wanted the option of a return to owning a turntable for just occasional use earlier in the year, and not wishing to pay a fortune plumped for a Rega P3 off another forums classifieds. Absolutely mint condition, complete with original box, accessories, and barely used Bias cart - £200 all incl. More than good enough for my needs. Only problem was that I foolishly damaged the stylus very early on so had to buy a replacement which I was considering anyway as I didn't think the Bias was all that TBH.

At that price range either a 2nd hand Rega or Pro-Ject will fit the bill nicely, and you will always be able to move it on if need be with minimal loss if any at all.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your responses so far, so the Project Carbon is much better than the Genie 3?

As for Rega not sure the RP1 is good enough, if you read the owners opinions quite a few complaints, the RP3 is too much at the moment.

having looked on Ebay over the past couple of days I'd say Pro-ject is the choice. There seems to be a number of Rega "slight seconds". Generally that shouldn't set off alarm bells but given recent issues with some posters, look at Pro-ject, Goldring or Technics.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Does it have to be new?

I can't say anything about the Project or cheaper Rega's but I am almost certain that you could do much better with a decent s/h deck.

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, I could suggest any of the ones I have but then of course ... I am slightly biased.

Nothing wrong with new but you're paying for the premium. Go on ebay and study the turntable listings for a week or two, do some research and ask questions about particular models you're interested in.

There is some good knowledge on this forum (better than mine) and over at vinylengine.

Worth spending a little time investigating I think.

As to whether getting back into vinyl is a good idea ... I personally get a lot of satisfaction from it and am glad I did.

Enjoy

regards

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Theres a Revolver + Linn Basic Arm + Cart for sale over on the Wam. Never heard one but blimey for 120 quid has to be worth a look . Or do you want to spend your full budget ?.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Theres a Revolver + Linn Basic Arm + Cart for sale over on the Wam. Never heard one but blimey for 120 quid has to be worth a look . Or do you want to spend your full budget ?.

I did find one on there but its been sold and does not have a cart.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
floyd droid said:

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Aesthetics do come into it but I personally am absolutely in love with both my DD Technics Linear Trackers. Small, measure superbly and play divine ... that is with their current compromised and rather to cheap cartridge/stylus combinations.

Having said that, I also love my conventional Thorens, my Sony front loader, my Garrard ... :)

regards

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
You are rapidly turning into Adam Smith ( beobloke if you frequent the wam and other fora ). Long way to go yet though mate.

And stop waving yer willy :)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
floyd droid said:

Page 6 Private Classifieds.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Adam is well known , but not to yourself going by the Uuh ? , in having a mahoosive TT collection.

Ok :)

Thats all I've got and no plans for any more soon.

Well, maybe a 125 or SP10 ...

regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts