Connections Help Needed

burty39

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Just bought the Onkyo SR605 and Toshiba HDDVD EP 30. I also have sky HD. My Panasonic HD Viera TV only has S video and Composite in, no HDMI input

Please could you tell me what is the best way to optimise the kit.

Thanks

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Link a component cable from the Component out on the amp to the TV

Connect your SkyHD via component to the amp and use an optical cable to get 5.1 sound. Configure the amp to use the correct sound input with the corresponding component in.

The conundrum is the EP30 in your system. You need to experiment with a HDMI cable into the amp and seeing whether you can get the amp to send the video signal as Component (I believe that you may not be able to do this). The only way you'll get the HD soundtracks from the EP30 is via HDMI (which it currently needs a future firmware upgrade to do). If you had an EP35 then you could join it to the amp and play already decoded soundtracks from the analogue out sockets on the back. Otherwise it's component again into the amp with a optical cable.

The real problem is your TV. If it had a HDMI socket then you could hook everything up via HDMI to the amp and there would be no problems.

burty39

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks

I am using HDMI from DVD to amp but it only sends the sound, I cannot get a picture. Currently the picture is coming via the video out on the DVD player direct to scart on the TV

My Sky is linked via HDMI to amp for the sound and component direct to the TV - should I change this and route all the video signals through the amp via component and keep the sound via HDMI?

I realise the TV is the problem but I paid £3k for it 3 years ago and am reluctant to change it for now as the picture quality for Sky HD is excellent, TV model is the TH-42PE30

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Ok.

Change ALL video to component into the amp and then component into the TV. Using SCART into the TV defeats the object of having a HD source.

Sound via HDMI from the SkyHD box is only 2 channel stereo. To get 5.1 you need to use the optical out on the Sky box so connect the HD box to the 605 via optical (make sure you set up the sound options on the Sky HD Settings menus and link the relevant component in with the optical in port in the amp settings).

To get HD sound from the EP35 try keeping the HDMI into the amp for sound. Don't know whether you can use Component out for video at the same time (set the Resolution as up to 1080i on the EP35). Otherwise connect the EP35 via the 5.1 analogue ports on the back of the player using decent interconnects into the Multichannel In of the amplifier. The player will then be doing the decoding but I can't see a way of getting HD sound aswell as HD picture if the player won't output both Component video and HDMI sound at the same time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts