Connecting turntable to Denon AV based system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Recently set up my home cinema system around the Denon AVR-1910. So, today, I decided a bit of nostalgia was required and chose to hook up the turntable and spin some classic vinyl. Trouble is I can't quite get the audio working properly - major lack of bass from the SW. I've got the turntable's stereo red/white pin plug cables going into the V.AUX input connectors on the front of the Denon, as I couldn't work out where best to put them. Any suggestions on how to set the whole thing up properly please most welcome.

A

Anonymous

Tarquinh:Do you have a phono preamplifier?

No phono pre-amp, just the AVR1910.
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

Then you'll need one. Richer sounds sell them for not a lot of money.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Get one of these little beasties for £55. (Assuming you have a 'moving-magnet' cartridge)

Tiny little thing that produces no heat and can be tucked away out of sight.

Made by a quality turntable manufacturer (and I have used one so I know it is good).

You just plug your TT plugs in one side then connect to the amp (with a standard set of RCA phono leads) at the other. If your TT signal lead has a seperate earth lead with a little spade connector, screw that in too (to stop hum) and off you go.

Google 'Rega Fono-Mini' and you will find places where you can buy them online if you don't have a local Rega dealer.

Not much bigger than a king size *** packet...

Fono%20mini%202.jpg

A

Anonymous

The only problem with the Rega Fono Mini is that it is way too good for the amp. I was thinking more of those Vivanco cheapies, though, if you ever wanted to upgrade the amp, then the Rega would be the way to go.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for all replies so far. The turntable is a Dual CS503-1 from early 90s, which, although, not too expensive, was well reviewed at the time. The cartridge is Ortofon. I'm not planning on making the turntable a permanent fixture, so I don't want to spend much on a pre-amp. Any views on the Vivanco budget pre-amps?

A

Anonymous

They're what I started with and, given what you've said, should be all you need. However, if the vinyl bug bites, then you'll soon find yourself wanting better...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts