connecting receiver to tv dvd ps3 question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently bought myself my first real receiver as well as a new tv, i was just wanting to make sure that i have it all set up to get the best out of everything. My tv is a PANASONIC TH-42PX80, reciever is PIONEER VSX-LX70, DVD player is PIONEER DV-600AV and i also have a PS3.This may be a basic question but as i say i am fairly new to all of this

Firstly i have an HDMI cable coming from my DVD play to my tv and an OPTICAL cable going to my reciever, or should i just run an HDMI cable to my receiver and just use the HDMI output to my tv?

Secondly i have an HDMI cable going from my PS3 to my receiver then an HDMI cable going from my receiver to my tv.

Lastly i have a set of RCA leads going from my tv to my receiver.

Does this all sound ok or should i be setting it up any differently to get the best picture and sound?

Plus is there any twicking in the settings on the ps3 or amp that i will need to do?

Many thanks,

A

Anonymous

Any thoughts would be very much apreciated, as i say i am a bit of a virgin when it comes to this!

kind regards

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, if you're DVD player can bitstream the audio over the HDMI connection, you could hook it direct to the amp, but there's nothing wrong with the way you have it hooked up at the moment. Everything else looks fine.

A

Anonymous

Chears for that at least i know i am going in the right direction! Just one other question i have is if i play a blue ray disc on my ps3 would i automaticaly get the true hd audio that the receiver supports? Once again i have been reading through the forums about this but the answers seem to go into great detail and its making my head spin!!

many thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
You probably need to change one setting. In BD/DVD Settings, scroll down to the BD / DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) setting. When playing a Blu-Ray which has an HD audio soundtrack on it (e.g. Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio, PCM uncompressed etc.) this should be set to Linear PCM and when playing a DVD or a Blu-Ray with just the standard Dolby Digital / DTS 5.1 soundtrack, it should be set to Bitstream (there's no auto setting unfortunately). Remember to go into the Sound / Language selection when you you're on the Blu-Ray and select the HD audio track - some of them don't choose it by default.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Make sure you go into the sound settings on the PS3 as well and select the options which are appropriate to your amp eg 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, etc. If you don't do this you will not receive multichannel output from the PS3. See this link.

A way to check if your setup is OK is to find a DVD with a THX Optimser on it. All the Pixar films have it I think. Run the audio tests. This will provide you with confidence that you are actually getting the surround sound as expected.

I was disappointed with my Onk for some time.....it wasn't until I ran the THX tests that I realised that I didn't have things setup correctly. It took Andrew and I about a day to establish that the sound settings on the PS3 weren't right.

A

Anonymous

Thank you both for your help it is much apricated. Ive now set up everything that i should and everything seems to be working fine, i borrowed a blue ray from a mate at work as i dont own any yet, played it and it sounds excellent. After reading through other forums am i right in thinking that all though the DTS HD light didnt come up on my receiver just pcm im still hearing DTS HD ( which is on DARD HARD 4.0 blue ray ) all to do with the PS3 decoding!?!?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, that's correct. If you want to know what's actually playing, pressing the Select button will bring up the display and in the top right hand corner, you can see the sound format the PS3 is outputting.

A

Anonymous

Everything is starting to make sence at last! Thanks again for your help god bless these forums! Im sure that my questions have been fairlly basic, its just that when you have spent a good deal of money on things you want to make sure that everything is set up ok to get the best out of it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts