Connecting Games Consoles through an AV Amp - any video delay?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am currently drilling holes and planning cable routes as I'm wall-mounting our PFL9664. I wondered if anybody used their amp to connect their 360 or PS3 to their TV (video) and whether or not this introduces any delay to the signal, i.e. does passing a video signal through an amp introduce lag?

I had not thought about connecting consoles this way as I would have to constantly change the settings on the TV since everything would be coming down one HDMI from the amp to one input on the telly, but it's nice to explore the options and I know how many people on here will share their experiences.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Long time since I've had a games console connected directly to the tv, but have never had any problems (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii) going through the Onkyo. It does have a "Game Mode" which can be turned on if any such delay does occur (can't for the life of me remember if I have that turned on or not) - would have thought the Denon would have something similar?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You'll get delay with most sources components, it's unavoidable. This is the main reason for the lip sync feature on AV amplifiers :)

EDIT: Sorry, misread! You won't normally see video delay as much as you'd hear audio delay, but it can still happen - I suppose it doesn't tend to get noticed as it's normally attribute to audio delay.

A

Anonymous

I've got my 360 connected through my Denon 2808 and not noticed any delays. Even when playing games like Guitar Hero. I do suffer when changing between Rock Band and Guitar Hero but I think it's to do with the scrolling speed of the notes rather than anything else. Having said that it has always been routed through an AV amp of some sort so I may just be accustomed to any delay.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It depends on the delay you're thinking of and how serious an online gamer you are. In terms of synchronisation between the video and sound, this should not be an issue just like it shouldn't be with watching Blu-Rays. If there is, most amps have a delay feature to ensure everything is in sync.

However, if you are an online gamer, there is a chance the extra lag could mean split second events count against you. This is really only relevant in the first person shooter type game whereby a player can literally only have a split second to react against another person's threat - in this instance any lag like that could mean the difference of kill or being killed. Personally, I've never had an issue - I don't really play online shooters and even when I do, because I'm not that good (compared to the die hards that spend every waking hour there!), that split second was never going to be a factor for me anyway!

For the likes of other online games like racing games, football etc. etc. it won't make any difference.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:
However, if you are an online gamer, there is a chance the extra lag could mean split second events count against you. This is really only relevant in the first person shooter type game whereby a player can literally only have a split second to react against another person's threat - in this instance any lag like that could mean the difference of kill or being killed.

Ah, that's why I'm so rubbish at multi-player COD! Strangely though, it doesn't affect my son when he's playing...
emotion-5.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
margetti:Strangely though, it doesn't affect my son when he's playing...
emotion-5.gif

Yeah, one of the things that told me I was getting old a few years back was when I'd get savagely beaten online in a shooter, only to then hear a ten year old's voice say "Good game!".

Where did it all go?
emotion-9.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts