connecting a sub to a stereo amp

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
which offers the best quality connection of a subwoofer to a stereo amp - using the spare speaker connections on my amp to the hi level inputs or connect the amps pre outs to the low level inputs?

A

Anonymous

I hope you get some help on this, as I am trying to figure out the same thing. I read on past posts that REL recommend high level. I tried this, and I thought the sound become recessed and muddier. I switched to low level and thought the problems went away.

I am not sure if this is due to the imaginary tone control in my head, as I can't find any reasons why high level hookup would be inferior to low level, and also REL would know more about this.

A

Anonymous

Yes, definitely so. Could you post your findings, as it would be useful. I found it difficult to do decent listening tests as I found it hard to keep swapping inputs and keep my concentration up. By Swapping I mean taking the high level leads off the amp completely.

In the end I settled for perception, and I perceive the low level inputs to be much cleaner, even if I am scientifically wrong. May be the signal from the pre-out is the cleanest signal path - dunno.

The bass from the sub seems more detailed as well, but again may be due to imaginary tone control.

A

Anonymous

I moved my sub from the other side of the room to behind the speakers a month ago. It's never occurred to me to try using the preout for LFE instead of the Neutrik for HFE. I'm stunned. I've never taken to my REL Quake because it has always sounded slow and stodgy. Using LFE the sound is much tighter and cleaner! I can't believe it's taken me four years to reach this conclusion, especially as I'm a tweaker. I'm absolutely thrilled. I need to try all of my CDs again now.

Only one problem. If I used a single pre out from my amp to the REL I can't use my Quad 405. Any ideas? Maybe a splitter cable is required but I always get nervous with such things as I don't fully understand the implications. Also, do you use the left or right pre out? I can't imagine there's any difference on most tracks but there might be.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:I moved my sub from the other side of the room to behind the speakers a month ago. It's never occurred to me to try using the preout for LFE instead of the Neutrik for HFE. I'm stunned. I've never taken to my REL Quake because it has always sounded slow and stodgy. Using LFE the sound is much tighter and cleaner! I can't believe it's taken me four years to reach this conclusion, especially as I'm a tweaker. I'm absolutely thrilled. I need to try all of my CDs again now.

Only one problem. If I used a single pre out from my amp to the REL I can't use my Quad 405. Any ideas? Maybe a splitter cable is required but I always get nervous with such things as I don't fully understand the implications. Also, do you use the left or right pre out? I can't imagine there's any difference on most tracks but there might be.

On my sub I can connect both simultaneously and switch between the 2, so I did exactly that. I thought the high level from the speakers sounded slightly better so that's what I use. Ideally both channels should connect to the sub but it's not that critical, unless you listen to a lot of 60s stereo!

A

Anonymous

Of course, I've failed to spot the obvious here. A preout doesn't go via the volume control so my sub will be operating at one volume. I don't actually have a suitable sub out. Shame as it sounds a lot tighter!

EDIT - I'm losing it, too much festive goodness. Ignore this stupid post!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:Of course, I've failed to spot the obvious here. A preout doesn't go via the volume control so my sub will be operating at one volume. I don't actually have a suitable sub out. Shame as it sounds a lot tighter!

EDIT - I'm losing it, too much festive goodness. Ignore this stupid post!

lol was just going to correct you on that one!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts