Connecting 4 non-matching impedence speakers to a 2 channel Hi-Fi amplifier

solid_mind

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I am a novice user of audio systems and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with an issue I have regarding connecting my speakers to a Hi-Fi amplifier.
20131107_154810.jpg

I have a KENWOOD KR-V5080 amplifier which has got 2 speakers inputs. Below is the full specs:

Power output: 50 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Surround output: 40W (front), 40W (center), 40W (rear)

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.7%

Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 200mV (line)

Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω

I have 2 sets of speakers, one is 6Ω and the other one is 8Ω. I am a bit confused as to how I am supposed to splice these speakers together so that I'll have a decent sound quality and not damage the amp?

Thanks

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
'SLICE' together ???? NO. NO. Connect the best pair to the front (A) speaker outputs. (They are not inputs). You could then use the others as rear speakers or try just one as a centre speaker. If all sounds ok u could add centre/sub later

Dont expect too much from it sadly.

solid_mind

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
'SLICE' together ???? NO. NO. Connect the best pair to the front (A) speaker outputs. (They are not inputs). You could then use the others as rear speakers or try just one as a centre speaker. If all sounds ok u could add centre/sub later

Dont expect too much from it sadly.

It is actually "SPLICE" not "SLICE"
smiley-wink.gif
...I've been reading a few sources online about connecting the speakers in parallel or series to get around this issue! would that not be suitable for this problem?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Slice. Splice. Connect. Join. Glue. Stick. Bond ......

As many anwers ...NO. NO.NO. NO

Connecting 2 speaker 'systems' in parallel will peobably blow the amp and in series will sound dreadful due to their different crossover networks, frequency responses and impedance & efficiencies.

Or shall we talk speellings slicing or splicing?

stavvy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
is there an option to connect your 4 speakers to the amp as you would with a normal surround set-up i.e. two best speakers as front L + R then your other pair of speakers as your surrounds then playback all channels stereo? i know you can do this with modern receivers (at least I can with my Onkyo) but not sure about your kenwood. But agreed, not sure why you would want to do this, with different speakers it wont sound that great.

solid_mind

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Slice. Splice. Connect. Join. Glue. Stick. Bond ......

As many anwers ...NO. NO.NO. NO

Connecting 2 speaker 'systems' in parallel will peobably blow the amp and in series will sound dreadful due to their different crossover networks, frequency responses and impedance & efficiencies.

Or shall we talk speellings slicing or splicing?

I had previously connected them all to 2 channels but cannot remember whether it was in series or parallel as I have moved houses and had to disconnect them in a rush but I'll try your arrangament and see how it turns out.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
solid_mind said:
I have 2 sets of speakers, one is 6Ω and the other one is 8Ω. I am a bit confused as to how I am supposed to splice these speakers together

This may be useful to you

http://cie-wc.edu/Series_Parallel_9_14.pdf

Although I'm not suggesting you should do it of course ;) A long (long) time back - when I didn't care about details - I wired up four sets of different spec speakers to my one amp. My amp ( a Pioneer) lasted about a year before it finally went bang on me. Good luck :)

solid_mind

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
stavvy said:
is there an option to connect your 4 speakers to the amp as you would with a normal surround set-up i.e. two best speakers as front L + R then your other pair of speakers as your surrounds then playback all channels stereo? i know you can do this with modern receivers (at least I can with my Onkyo) but not sure about your kenwood. But agreed, not sure why you would want to do this, with different speakers it wont sound that great.

Yes there is an option to connected the speakers to the amp a sorround set-up but due to available space in my room, I cannot arrange the speakers in a sorround position so I have to stack two on top of each other and put them wherever I can, around the room.

Would it not matter since the speakers have different impedences (i.e. 6 an 8 ohms) ?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
solid_mind said:
stavvy said:

Yes there is an option to connected the speakers to the amp a sorround set-up but due to available space in my room, I cannot arrange the speakers in a sorround position so I have to stack two on top of each other and put them wherever I can, around the room.

Would it not matter since the speakers have different impedences (i.e. 6 an 8 ohms) ?

Why?

Just use the amp in stereo and use your best pair of speakers......

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Right then. I, like many others (see above) can't understand why you want to connect 4 speakers like this. However, if you are determined, surely the best and most sensible way is to connect one pair to 'A' connectors and the other pair to 'B' connectors?

Or if you wanted, you could connect one pair as 'front' and the other pair as 'rear' speakers, then switch the receiver so it's not doing any surround decoding. I can't be sure but can't you switch it to 'dual-stereo' mode or some-such?

By the way, am I right in thinking that you think you'll get more volume if you connect 2 pairs? You won't!

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
+1 what everyone says. If you connect speakers in parallel- series-whatever then a) it will not sound better b) your amp will go bang. :wall:

Please just pick your best speakers and listen to them. :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts