Connect KRK Rokit 6 to Yamaha A-S501?

sonobe

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

I own a KRK rokit 6 and I'm trying to set up the system with a yamaha A-S501 which has a turntable connected.

Do you know where am I supposed to connect the speakers? Which cable do I need?

Your help is much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You're going to struggle. Your Rokits are powered studio monitors designed to be connected to either a mixer or to an audio interface with a volume control and a dedicated pair of outputs for powered monitors. Your Yamaha amp is a regular integrated amp designed to be connected to a passive pair of speakers, not powered monitors. It's apples and oranges. The amp does have line outputs on the back but they aren't linked to the volume control as far as I can tell by looking at the manual, so if you plug your Rokits into them you'll either get low volume or they'll blow your eardrums out, depending on what strength of signal the speakers expect to see at their inputs. At a push I guess you could rig the speakers to the amp's headphone output with some mockup of a stereo 1/4" jack at the amp end going to two mono 1/4" jacks at the speakers end, but even that's a bit 'laccy-band and duct-tape'; really your amp and speakers are just not designed to work together. Who told you to buy them?

sonobe

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks MajorFubar for your reply. I got the yamaha Yamaha A-S501 + the turntable from my brother which won't need it anymore. I was previously using the speakers with a m-audio pre mobile connected to the laptop. It is actually possible to make it work by conecting the speakers to the rca plug from the tunner but any of the features of the amplifier (bass, treble, balance..) will work, also the outcome is too loud and by lowing the level from the speakers I lose lot of quality. As you said, are just not designed to work together. At this point my main priority is to make the turntable work with a decent system with my current speakers. I guess I need to get a mixer or an audio interface. What do you think is better? Can you suggest me some possibilities? Thanks a lot!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
sonobe said:
At this point my main priority is to make the turntable work with a decent system with my current speakers. I guess I need to get a mixer or an audio interface. What do you think is better? Can you suggest me some possibilities? Thanks a lot!

The complication is you want to connect the turntable, which needs to pass through a phono pre-amp. Sadly the USB DAC recommended by Abacus will be of no use to you, partly because it's USB powered so it will only work when plugged into your computer, but primarily because the volume control on it is only for the headphone output, not the line-out sockets.

What you need is an old pre-amp (the type that used to be sold in combination with a matching power amp) that has a turntable input on it. Something like an Audiolab 8000C. You'd just rig-up one of its pair of pre-amp outputs to your Rokits with some jack-to-phono cables. Done.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts