Confused with Amp. Out of depth. Help!

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm putting together a hifi system. A newbie to all of this, but i did a bit of research and so far purchased:

Rega RP1 turntable

Monitor Audio BX2 speakers

Rega Fono Mini A2D phono pre amp (analogue-digital converstion)

Now with the fono mini i thought i was buying an amplifier (a mixture of being inexperienced and drunk), whereas its actually a pre amp. So my question is, do i sell it on and just buy an intergrated amp, or do i keep it and connect to a 'power amp'?! One thing i do like is the USB port, as i'd be keen to transfer vinyl to mp3.

Either way, recommendations would be great. Budget at lower end now - maximum left to spend is £200, which must include cables (any suggestions on budget speaker cables appreciated too).

If it makes a difference I'll mainly be listening to blues and rock. Want good sound but doesn't have to be overly loud.

Cheers...

Hi Tom Heslington

Keep the Mini A2D and around your budget look out for a NAD C370 on the second hand market. The RP1, A2D and BX2's will work a treat with a C370
regular_smile.gif

As for speaker cables basic 79 strand OFC will do the trick nicely and you should be able to pick this up from most electrical stores for little money.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Tom Heslington

I forgot to mention that please do not connect the Mini A2D to a power amplifier. Only connect the A2D to a line level input on an integrated amp or a pre amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Personally I would sell on the Mini A2D and get a second hand integrated amp that actually has a dedicated 'phono' input.

Less boxes = less confusion (and probably some extra money to spend on music).

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi ,

"Now with the fono mini i thought i was buying an amplifier (a mixture of being inexperienced and drunk)"

I assume that if you where "drunk" when you bought it you bought it on line . How long have you had it ? , distance selling regs give you a certain amount of time to return it some shops extend this option upto 28 days . Check where you got it from , you will have to pay return postage but it will give you another 90 quid or so for the amp.

Hell ring them up and explain you made a mistake, talk to them about a replacement amp. They may waive the return postage if you are buying from them again.

James

Yamyam

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Back to basics, just so there's no confusion: The Rego Fono is a phono-preamp. The majority of amplifiers these days do not come with a phono input. What the phono-preamp does is boost the signal from the turntable so that you can connect to a "normal" line-level input (CD, Tuner, Aux) on an amp. So if you buy an amp with a phono input (if you can find one!) you won't need it.

Yamyam

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
On the flip side, there are a small-ish number of 'modern' turntables that have have a phono-preamp built-in so that they can be connected straight to a line level input on the amp, and/or have USB output that could be used if you have a USB input on the amp (although I've never tried that in practice) - such as the Project Elemental with USB. There's a general view that the built-in phono-preamps are inferior to external ones, but maybe that's because these have generally been at the lower end.

Anyway, I think because you already have the RP1 this is irrelevent to you and I don't want to divert your thread.

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for the support guys, definitely understand where i'm at a lot more now!

Have found the nad c370, just a bit out of my price range atm, unless i can nab a bargain on ebay!

Thoughts on this as an alternative? Technics A900 MK2 on gumtree. I've messaged him already trying to knock a bit off the £200 tag. Any good?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
hybridauth_facebook_533205404 said:
Cheers for the support guys, definitely understand where i'm at a lot more now!

Have found the nad c370, just a bit out of my price range atm, unless i can nab a bargain on ebay!

Thoughts on this as an alternative? Technics A900 MK2 on gumtree. I've messaged him already trying to knock a bit off the £200 tag. Any good?

120WPC and <£135.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
As the other equipment is new, wouldn't the OP prefer a new Amplifier? The NAD C370 maybe good but is old and has known problems. There are plenty of new budget amps which will work well with the BX2's and have a warranty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts