Confused - do I need a new product?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently listen to my music sourced from my computer (iTunes and Internet Radio) using its coaxial output into a Cambridge Azur AV receiver and Monitor RX6 speakers. The amp was only ever intended to drive my small Mordaunt Short surround speakers and so I am left wondering if I need a better amp.

My problem is, everything I listen to is digital, therefore I would need a stereo amps and a DAC or I get a new AV amp (with built in DAC etc) or I stay with Cambridge (its a good amp but I'm sure there's more to get out of my Monitor Speakers).

If I spend £500 on a new amp + £300 on a DAC, am I going to get a better sound than spending £800 for an AV amp?

Also, just to throw more confusion into the mix, is it worth getting one of these new media streaming amps (not that I want to go as high as the Naim unitiqute etc).

Confused!

A

Anonymous

Yes - but it is receiving a digital signal from the computer.

Messiah

Well in that case I would avoid an AV receiver.

There are a couple of options and I guess it will be determined by how much you want to spend. There are a few stereo amps out there with digital inputs from the likes of Cyrus and Harmon Kardon. This would be the simplest option but more expensive.

Another cheaper option would be to get a stereo amp and an Airport Express. You could then stream the music from iTunes to the airport express which in-turn is connected to the amp. Initially this can be done with a standard 3.5mm jack to phono lead. I have found the output from the AE to be very good. If you then decide at a later date that you want more from the combination you could buy a DAC and utilise the digital output from the AE. It is the same socket as the analogue output but you need a different lead. 3.5mm toslink to toslink.

(For the internet radio you may need another programme - Airfoil).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input Messiah - I had considered the airport but am loathe to lose the coaxial connection (cause it cost a bit for the cable and also don't want to set up a new network in the office - long story here...).

What I really want to know is why I should consider a seperate stereo amp and digital converter over an AV amp. Other than paying for functions I won't need in the AV amp (all the extra inputs and outputs) which is the better option for sound and should I just stick with the Cambridge Azur?

Messiah

A dedicated stereo amp (with DAC) will perform much better than an AV receiver of similar price.

As for sticking with the Cambridge, that is really up to you. If you are happy with the sound then leave it as it is.

A

Anonymous

AV amps are notoriously poor for stereo sound. You will get better stereo sound from a budget stereo amp than an AV am costing twice as much. A stereo amp and a DAC will give you the best sound per pound. If you want to keep the coax cable, look for a DAC with a coax input.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the heads-up on this amp. I think I will use their try-before-you-buy offer. I can't seem to find any reviews of the amp anywhere on the net (just posts from AudioSanctum who are the UK exclusive importers) but I suppose reviews are irrelevant when you can try it!

Are there many other integrated amps with built in DAC?

T

the record spot

Overdose:Harmon Kardon HK 990 circa £600, similar price to the XTZ.

Nearer £799 discounted unless one retailer is giving them away. The original selling price was £999. Some places are asking for almost £1100...!

T

the record spot

I stand corrected; Coastway Computer Services had it (but is now out of stock) for £679.99 - I assume HK are trying to offload these from their central stock location. None of the sites I'm seeing that are outwith your established hifi retailers (Home Cinema Centre, Audio Affair, AVLand, John Lewis, A1 Sound and one or two others) carried this amp before.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts