Concerned about connecting speaker cable when not using banana plugs

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
This is a stupid question that has been bugging me for a while now, and it's probably one that can go down in the 'placebo' effect trash can. So I apologise in advance... BUT can you diminish the sound quality you get if you mess up too much the connecting of the speaker cable at both ends because:

A:) Don't have enough of the cable touching the amp or speaker posts when you screw down the connector?

B:) Cut any of the individual wire strands when stripping back the speaker cable sleeve to expose the wire (ready for connecting to posts)?

Is there any need for banana plugs to improve things?

Dumb, I know. But it's niggling me
emotion-1.gif

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi mate well im no expert but i will give you my opinion......Banana plugs are great they keep the end of your cable neat and of course they make connection and removal of cables simple and easy.. As for sound quality im not sure its probable better with no plugs as a direct connection must be better for the signal rather than to go through another component must surely reduce signal quality. I guess its up to you mate i use good quality plugs on my Black rodium cable i find it so much less hassle

Hope this helps as i said im no expert on this but i think you dont need to worry as long as all your connection are neat it shoul be fine...

A

Anonymous

cutting a few strands by mistake when stripping back the cable will not make any difference.if you cut off half the strands it might though!

A

Anonymous

Dazmb, I am glad you got some valuable suggestion. Just wanted to add my opinion.
IMO, every stand you cut, is a loss. So be careful when you strip the wire. I, personally, don't use a wire stripper at all. I use a very crude method. I light a match stick and burn the plastic jacket till it gets soft enough. Then either with the help of a blunt knife or with a help of a thick piece of cloth, I take off the burnt part by hand. Okay, may not look so neat, but hey, better sound and who peeps behind your amp or speakers to see how neatly your wires are stripped?
IMO, banana plugs are useful for people who cannot do their cables otherwise. I try to keep the connection as direct as possible, by using naked wires at both the ends you reduce one component and possibly some loss.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I believe that two of the arguments for using banana plugs are avoidance of oxidization at the cable ends and the possibilty of loose wires shorting. The first can be solved by stripping or cleaning the cable ends occasionally, the second by being very careful wiring things up.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi.

If cutting one single strand makes a difference and therefore you do not use banana plugs - when you tighten the binding post, surely you are risking breaking wires? Cheers, Cofnchtr.

PS Anyone know how I can 'format' my postings? Tried previously mentioned method and saving in options but seems it won't save. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I always soft solder cable to the plugs, never found any other method betters it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts